Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel Ski Schools

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Short-time reader, first-time poster here.

This Feb we went to Tignes, and us beginners went to a great school in Ultimate Snowsports (Thanks Sean!).

We're just booking our ski holiday in Meribel for next February, and I'm looking at ski schools. We'd probably be doing the "Advanced" lessons, or whatever lessons are suitable for people who'd just started going on Red runs.

Does anyone have any recommendations? What we liked about Ultimate was that the instructor was English (though I appreciate that might be hard to find), and that the class sizes were pretty small (there was just the 5 of us in our class).

Much appreciated, and looking forward to February already. 9 months can't pass quickly enough!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Book in with Parallel Lines. Again run by British Instructors with small classes. All of the instructors are British too so English speaking won't be a problem. Parallel & Beyond will probably be suitable for you from what you've said.

http://www.parallel-lines.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
destria, welcome to snowHead

I don't think that you could get any better than New Generation, either! They have brilliant instructors - some that join us on some of our bashes too Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michelle, destria, New Gen are good too, but not all of the instructors they have are British. My friend had a week of lessons with them in Feb this year.

I guess destria could always specifically ask for a British instructor when booking though if New Gen was chosen, if a native English speaker definitely is a requirement.

I think New Gen and Parallel Lines are about the same price anyway but I know PL only have British instructors working for them, it says on their website that they are the only ski school in Meribel to do so and then using them would eliminate the slightly awkward request of having an "English" instructor. Blush

Don't ask for someone English though as some of them are Scots! wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
destria, are you specifically after a British ( wink ) Instructor, or an excellent instructor whose English may be their second language, but can often put it over better than a native speaker wink
VolklAttivaS5, Nothing against Parallel Lines, just biased towards New Gen wink Little Angel
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5, the French New Gen instructors at the EoSB spoke far better English than the British ones.
They were all superb instructors.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Michelle, No nor me, I've got nothing against New Gen, they are very good I've heard, although I've not experienced them first hand mind you so I can't say from experience.

I've had a private lesson before with Parallel Lines, but I did know the instructor already anyhow from courses and stuff so that's why I booked it. Saying that mind, from what I've seen this last couple of years, whoever you get who is at BASI old Level 1/ISTD level (or equivalent) is gonna be pretty damn good usually anyway aren't they. Personally I wouldn't mind who I have.

I would have suggested both schools as both are British schools in the area, but because destria said she liked the fact the Ultimate instructor was English, (I took it he/she meant British wink ) I thought at least you know you're definitely going to get that with Parallel Lines, whereas with New Gen you can't guarantee it unless you ask for it, which might be a bit embarrassing perhaps asking for someone British. Then again I expect they probably get other people asking for an instructor who is "English" wink so they're probably used to it at New Gen with the number of British that go to Meribel! Laughing

I guess as you say, it depends on what destria wants, whether that's definitely a British person that he/she is after, or that it doesn't matter as long as they can speak English really well and get the point over and have good analogies in English for things when explaining them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, I don't know about that as I wasn't at the EoSB.....but I will be next year complete with my fartbag!

I just want to make it clear to anyone that reads this thread, I am not saying that instructors who are not British aren't as good at teaching skiing as British instructors are, or that because English is their second language, they won't be as good at getting their point across to a British student as a British Instructor would do! This is clearly not the case and there is plenty of experiences and evidence to suggest that this isn't the case, so I wouldn't suggest that for a moment.

I just meant that, if destria definitely wants an "English" instructor then if she goes to Parallel Lines then she can't go wrong as that's all they've got is British instructors. So seemed like an obvious choice to me.

Anyway, so I'm not being offensive to anybody or anything! Just in case. wink Very Happy Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5, Laughing Laughing Laughing you really don't need a shovel wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
Frosty the Snowman, the accent is making me weak at the knees just thinking about it Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michelle, well I don't want anyone getting the wrong end of the ski here so to speak. I didn't want to get dive bombed! Squawk! Laughing

Frosty the Snowman, now, incidentally and purely out of interest as I wasn't present as I said......
Quote:

the French New Gen instructors at the EoSB spoke far better English than the British ones.

How do you mean? Puzzled Do you mean that their explanations on how to do things were better than the British ones, rather than their English was better? Puzzled

Michelle, re the accent, were they male these instructors? Very Happy Hmmm?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, Gail was nice, but her accent wasn't quite as knee wobbly as Claudes wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was kind of impressed with magic in motion to be honest.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Michelle, ah I see. Hmmm Gail, now that might have been the same lady my friend had for the week in Feb. Rings a bell.

How exciting! Although French accents/Italian whatever don't really do anything for me I'm afraid...... Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ollski, not you aswell Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing

destria, sorry, we seem to have hijacked your thread Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Michelle, it says on the Magic site under "Language" that even the Scots speak good English! Check it out Laughing

http://www.magicfr.com/team-and-resort.php

That's a valid point actually about different British accents, never mind European ones, because (again and I mean no offence saying this! Embarassed ) that I've had to say "Sorry, Pardon?" once or twice or even three times when someone Scottish has spoken to me. Not because it's their fault or them not speaking clearly but because I'm just not used to hearing the accent and the way the words sound! Very Happy Its been quite funny actually because I didn't know what on earth they were saying at the time. Laughing (We were both laughing about it mind you, they didn't mind)

Saying that mind, every Scottish instructor I've ever met has been an absolutely excellent skier! Cor.

Also some people don't understand me with my accent sometimes and I'm as English as they come! Some would say an English Rose even which went down very well I have to say... Laughing wink
snow report
parallel lines have expanded quite a bit but still have all Brits, Angus, Ed (fun guy), neil Milne (english off piste mainly) and the Pirie family (Ed and gregor.. scottish top racers),

new gen zoe cambell (basi trainer)

magic have some very good free style types Jean-Micheal has taught my daughter and he is a fantastic instructor with excellent english
snow report
skimottaret, yeah they seem to have got quite a few guys there now from what I can gather.

Talking of Meribel I am going myself on 3rd Jan! Yay can't wait.
ski holidays
I'd definitely recommend Gaelle at New Gen having had 3x private lessons with her at the Eosb.
ski holidays
Wow! What a flurry of replies! Thanks for all the input

New Gen sound pretty good... a girl from work thought highly of them (though she was in a class of 8... which I'm not sure about. Maybe we've been spoiled by our class of 5!).

Though I see I sparked a bit of a debate about the English/British instructor. Oops... the emphasis on my preference should probably have been on the class sizes. The fact that he was English was a bonus. I'm sure the French instructors out there speak perfectly good English.

I'll be sure to check out Parallel lines too.

Damnit, I'm already looking at piste maps. Is this normal?
ski holidays
destria, you're very welcome. Don't worry it's all in good fun anyway!

Hey the thing is, probably class size is most important anyway, you could get a British instructor that speaks English as their native tongue but is not a very good explainer as it were. I think you will probably have a very pleasant experience with any of the schools mentioned as they are all to such a high standard.

Have you not been to Meribel before then?
snow report
destria wrote:
... (though she was in a class of 8... which I'm not sure about. Maybe we've been spoiled by our class of 5!).

I don't think any of the mainstream schools in Meribel would have class sizes as small as 5 as a matter of course. I think the Brit schools, including NewGen and Parrallel Lines will have a maximum of 8.
snow conditions
I've not been, but some of the more experienced skiers in our group have been there before.

My first time was this Feb, in Tignes. Managed to get a fair bit of practice on dry-slopes, and a trip to a snowdome, beforehand which helped (though not as much as I'd have thought... one of the other learners in our group who had about 4 hours on the dry slopes picked it up just as quickly).

I think we got lucky with the class size of 5 though. It actually dropped to 4 by the third lesson, as one of our group dropped out (lack of confidence, and felt a bit bad that he was holding the group up). That and we had a trainee instructor with us as well as our instructor.

8 is fine though... I've just got disturbing visions of the 10+ hordes of red I saw with some of the ESF groups.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy