Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzsteinhorn May 1-6 Trip Report and Pics

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Pictures from trip to Kitzsteinhorn, Kaprun ski area, Austria May 1-6 2008, Firn and Fun Festival

The second gondola up from Langweid to the Alpincenter at about 1950m

Mid-mountain, the Alpincenter at about 2500m, the top of Kitzsteinhorn can be seen in the distance (3200m)

Ski testing on Friday and Saturday, many people but not that many skis

I managed to get my hands on these on Saturday morning, Blizzard Titan, they are free ride skis, conditions on the mountain varied from powder to hard pack to slush so got a good feel for what they can do, not a bad ski.

Still loads of snow about, this is looking south east

There are three snowparks on the mountain, this is the Roxy Park at the top, I skied over my first box up here!

This is the park further down nearer the Alpincenter, I'm not sure what to do on this but I wasn't going to try and jump it!

There was live music at the Alpincenter each day of the Firn and Fun festival

Looking towards the summit

Over the back of Kitzsteinhorn looking south-west, on the far left covered in light cloud, I think the mountain is Grossglockner - this highest point in Austria. This was taken on May 6th and still untouched powder as far as the eye can see!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-05-08 11:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, looks great and I'm kinda jealous now. Smile Pretty hard to manage going to Austria during my student life because there's a serious amount of money involved I guess. But I'll make it there one day, I have to.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 9-07-08 10:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Janine, It's not that expensive especially in May as low season prices.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross, Any chance of a report? snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, Ok since you asked!

Summary

Kitzsteinhorn arrive May 1st, ski May 2nd to 6th. Conditions were good, best at top. Had a mixture of snow, cloud and sunshine over the five days of skiing. The pistes below 2500m softened fast but anything up near the glacier stayed fresh all day. It was busy on Friday and Saturday for the Firn and Fun Festival but much quieter on Sunday and very quiet on Monday and Tuesday. Some race training going on (the Finish ski team were there). The biggest shock was the traffic jam to get up the mountain on Friday, the tailback was from the edge of Kaprun village! But there crowds were well spread out on the slopes. We stayed in Zell am See, in Deliaskis apartment, it's up the hill a little from the village and I made the mistake of lugging my skis up there on arrival day, not really the kind of hill you want to lug a 20kg bag up plus boot bag! The apartment was lovely with a balcony and views to the top of Schmittenhohe.

Ski Day 1 Friday May 2nd

The first day was the second day of the Firn and Fun festival, shocked that the traffic was backed up to Kaprun village, I couldn't believe this after a winter of no queues I would get to May and have to deal with this. Got up to the mountain at about 11am (promised to leave earlier on following days). It was a ski test day but all skis were out so after the other sin the group got sorted with skis etc. hopped on my skis and did a few leisurely runs. Of the five days I skied this was the busiest with queues at Langweid and the Alpincenter. A mixture of sunshine and cloud made for pleasant conditions. Mainly skied the bottom runs on day 1 down from the Alpincenter (2500m), spring conditions down here but higher up there was fresh powdery snow all day. A very lively band were playing at the Alpincenter for the afternoon and some very hammered people were getting involved in an on stage sing-along (not me). From the number plates in the car park loads of Germans about but also Polish, Czechs, Slovakians and Hungarians as well as Austrians of course.

Day 2 Sat

Got up earlier and the queues weren't as bad getting to the mountain. Last day of ski testing and managed to get a pair of Blizzard Titans to test. I had them for a few hours in different conditions and they handled must things well although I found them a little difficult on the very heavy snow that was found off-piste lower down the mountain, this may be more the conditions than the skis. Went back to the ski test area and was disappointed to hear I could not test anything else as they were finishing up at 2pm! When back up to the glacier and did a few laps of a really nice run that is mark as black on the far left of the glacier area. Some nice fresh powder in this run.

Day 3 Sun

Yipee, there was no queues to get to the lifts and the mountain was quiet also. Some snow was falling with visibility variable. Skied the run from the Alpincenter to Langweid a few times. This is about 500m vertical on a blue that changes to a red nearer the bottom. I like this run but best skied early in the day at this time of year as can get very slushy later.

Day 4 Mon

Quiet again today as most people back in work. Stayed high today to avail of the better snow conditions above the Alpincenter. The glacier runs were in great order. Played about in the snow park most of the day and tried the race training track although didn't like it much as very rutted. Attempted my first box in the snowpark and was now comfortable on it although didn't try any spins. Also tried some of the other snowpark features although without much style! They was also a half pipe, did this a few times although a little worried about getting too high in it as one side was very icy.

Day 5 Tue

Last day and car gone back as some of the group had an early flight from Munich. Got the bus to Kitzsteinhorn from Zell am See, I thought it would be free but no chance, €3.70 each way. Up the mountain by about 9.30am. Quiet again with mainly race training going on. As had an evening flight from Salzburg and had to get bus etc back to Zell am See, shower, change, pack etc and then get train to Salzburg only skied until about 1.30pm today. Conditions again similar with a mix of sunshine and cloud. Myself and my brother decided to hike over the back of the glacier to see what was on the other side and got some wonderful views (see photos above). It was so tranquil looking out over all that untouched snow, it was probably the best moment of the trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
More photos, me in the Roxy snow park

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy