Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best resort for short, zippy runs?

Poster: A snowHead
i discovered a particular dislike for long motorway like runs while I was away last.

What resorts have a really nice range of short-ish but challenging blues and reds? (in europe) - y'know - runs you get down and think - yeah!! let's do THAT again!

Fanx!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello,
There are plenty in Austria: Obergurgl, Lech/Zurs, Kuhtai, Obertauern and Ischgl.
In France maybe Morzine and the Grand Valira in Andorra but those can get very busy and so become somewhat of a motorway.
Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen_sheba, Avoriaz offers a good selection of blue and red runs... what I liked was that you could go lower and ski through trees, or go higher and have the open mountains. In many cases you also have the option to take either a blue or red run. Nothing seemed overly challenging though, but the conditions were very good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hey there!

tanks for the tip but it was avoriaz that turned me to the dislike of the long motorway runs! we didn't explore a huge amount of it due to spring skiing weather but we'd ventured up to the wall and it had been closed. i found the journey back down genuinely tedious....and we'll not even mention the run that goes back down under the prodains. it and i fell out big time.

however the stash was another matter. fun! moguley too. i mean the les gets bowl is pretty much my style - lots of short interconnecting runs or a quick traverse back into the village. of course i've done it twice in 3 months now so time for something new!

i was looking at austria for xmas - ischgl did look interesting but was but off by the ibiza atmosphere - i wouldn't go to ibiza on holiday so wouldn't put up with this on snow either. so la tania, kitzbuhel are top of my list at the moment. must go and check out a pistemap

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen_sheba, oops! We went in January and had all 49 open for us... there are some motorway runs, but I didn't find them to be in the majority... but that might be in the definition.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen_sheba,
I think you can avoid the busy motorway runs in resorts where they exist by avoiding the obvious connecting runs between areas. One suggestion would be to avoid large resorts with different domains. Obertauern as suggested above has plenty of short runs due to the limited vertical difference, what there is though tends to be varied interesting and snow-sure.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen_sheba, I think most of the Italian Dolomites resorts have mainly short runs. Certainly all the ones around the Sella Ronda do.

There are still some longer "motorway" runs (e.g. from the top of the Marmolada), but not very many of them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen_sheba wrote:
tanks for the tip but it was avoriaz that turned me to the dislike of the long motorway runs! we didn't explore a huge amount of it due to spring skiing weather but we'd ventured up to the wall and it had been closed. i found the journey back down genuinely tedious....and we'll not even mention the run that goes back down under the prodains. it and i fell out big time.

Excuse me for asking, but are you measuring length of width here? Shocked

The run down from Avoriaz to the Prodains base is anything but a "motorway" in my understanding of the term. It twists. It turns. It narrows. It widens. It bumps. And there are endless variations and cut-offs to add spice.

The return from the Wall is only tedious if you drop over into the top of the Linderats valley and take the long blue run (about 7km I think).

You need to find yourself a much, much better local navigator. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lol - phil i will pass that on!! yes it was that horrid long one. you could see avoriaz way off in the distance and just a long straight and not very steep run into it. my heart sank.

no the only reason prodains one and i fell out because it was very long, i was very tired (i'd been down the stash a few times on skis) and it was about 3pm so it was fairly akin to sliding over a slush puppie. i can imagine it would be more interesting with fresh powder on it...but still just a wee bit too long for me at the moment. the last few metres of it was actually just mud.

i can imagine if i'd done it first thing in the day i would have found it more enjoyable (sans mud mind you) or in January. i appreciate that most of the runs into the "villages" particularly the ones under the bubbles or cable cars are often steep and long - i can deal with that. it's more the runs up in the main skiing area that i was looking for good resort advice on.

cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen_sheba, Saalbach is all you ever wanted and more, coupled with fantastic apres ski
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen_sheba, Selva, Colfosco, Corvarra and Arraba are perfect for you. Cant recall too many with the wacky races syndrome!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen_sheba, i agree with Charlatanefc about Saalbach too... if the whole area is open you won't go too far wrong! Just avoid the 7.5km blue into Vorderglemm Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen_sheba, no - you are so wrong - "the stash" was a fantastic run, now ruined...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen_sheba - so what you're saying is that anything over a few km is a, errr, "motorway"????
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Would stopping on long runs after skiing short sections in a particularly zippy style not achieve the same effect? You would, at least, be spared the tedium of catching frequent lifts back up the hill.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Alas the frequent lifts back up the hill are IMO the only downside to the Selva and Sella Ronda areas, of course there are a few exceptions such as the way down to and from Marmolada.
snow report
Austria (e.g. Saalbach).

Scotland (e.g. Nevis Range).

Northeast USA (e.g. Killington).
snow report
can't believe nobody has mentioned La Ros yet.......
latest report
kitenski, The request was for
Quote:

short-ish but challenging

wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, kitenski, I have given up suggestin La Rosiere:

1. Because the "joke" has diluted any possible advice that can be given
2. We tried to book our large group in for half term 09 back at the start of February, and could not find anywhere free Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Who could possibly recommend a horribly windy resort that has easy short samey slopes, predominately old ball breaking drag lifts, south facing slopes that are either slush or ice, and bad drains.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
2. We tried to book our large group in for half term 09 back at the start of February, and could not find anywhere free Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Maybe you should pay like everyone else!!! Wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Have you found anywhere free yet? Very Happy
snow conditions
boredsurfin, We are all off to another one horse town called Pedraces in the Dolomites. No where as near as convenient for the skiing, but should be a laugh with 40 of us. Shocked Very Happy
snow report
If you want a shorter run, just stop half way down so you break it up.
snow conditions
The_Hirsty and others, I too am mystified by this one. In have heard of folks wanting long runs so they can blast from the top, but never this scenario.
ski holidays
Tauplitz & Serfaus (Austria) have a lot of short runs.
snow report
This is a very strange thread. Confused
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The_Hirsty and others, I too am mystified by this one. In have heard of folks wanting long runs so they can blast from the top, but never this scenario.

Short lifts are good for

1. Practising short turns (esp high at altitude when the snow lower down is mush)
2. Keeping a group of different abilities together (all in sight of one another).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Two lifts and two runs and you are in the greater area itself. Half an hour from Pedraces and you are on the circuit. A far better option than the "joke" resort IMO. Not as good as being in Selva or Corvarra but with the size of the group you will make your own entertainment.
snow report
The main Norwegian resorts (Geilo and Hemsedal) would seem to fit the bill.

Pretty much all the runs are short and sharp. They are also exceptionally quiet - which means no queues, and no waiting to get back to the top for another blast.

I personally love these two resorts - but be warned, they're completely different to the Alps: they're not really mountains (more like big hills) - so you're limited to about 25kms of pisted runs. There's also very limited off-piste opportunity, and the apres ski is minimal.

However, if you're just going for a week - there's more than enough to keep the average skier happy.

They're also into freestyle in a big way. So, they have pretty good terrain parks for their size.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy