Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term Help !

Poster: A snowHead
I have finally convinced the better half to come skiing next year Very Happy however she is restricted to school holidays Sad so I am planning part 1 of next years skiing with a week in the half term (it also coinsided with my youngest going with the school so it has to be this week !
I keep reading that next year the half term is only one week for all uk schools so its going to be busy Sad and I have read in some places that resorts are being booked early (or is that just tour operator hype ?)
Any way the questions are
1. where would you recommend to avoid the worst crowds (wife has skied before but over 20 years ago !) Im confident Red / Less confident on black moguls but can get down most things
2. Should I book now or wait and see what late deals are available (bare in mind it has to be this week !!)
3. Should I go private or through a tour operator (if private any personal recommendations)
4. Whats the likely flight cost during this week (too early for most the budget airlines at the moment)

PS part 2 hopefully involves a week later in the season - EOSB if timing suits work etc

Thanks for any help
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kwakazx6r, Easter hols would be better . for half term there won't be any late deals.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kwakazx6r, BA flights are already out for that week. No idea on prices though Confused

Unless you are able to book the second that the flights become available you will find that the popular destinations become very expensive very quickly with the no frills airlines Sad . iirc it even started of expensive last year. I'm guessing that you'll be lucky to get under £300 per person that week.

You would get cheaper by flying to a less popular airport and using the train or car hire for the additional distance.

I can imagine that any resort that appears in brochures will be busy. To avoid the crowds, you would be better off at a smaller less well known resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro,

Just checked BA - more like £400 for any sensible times !! might be cheaper to drive Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Already too late for BA I think. I booked Gatwick to Zurich when they first came out for about £115 return, now £468 Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B,

I think you might be right !! any idea when Easy Jet prices are out ??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kwakazx6r, Dunno, but someone on here will, what is for sure though is that you will need to book as soon as they come out to get a good price. You can still get a good deal though at half term. In 2006 and 2007 I drove (Speedferries, very cheap), went to a less well known as well as less crowded resort (in this case St Sorlin D'Arves) and booked an apartment directly with the owners (mainly French in the smaller places).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kwakazx6r, usually some time in June
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone know when easter flights are likely to be released?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the ice perv, depends on whether they put them in the winter schedule or the summer one. As Easter is late next year, then it may be Oct/Nov time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wait for the credit crunch to bite then you will be the only ones on the plane !! wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kwakazx6r wrote:
2. Should I book now or wait and see what late deals are available (bare in mind it has to be this week !!)

Book now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kwakazx6r, I work in ski travel and we are inundated with requests for 14/2 (half term is this week only AFAIK) - if you find something now, which suits your needs and budget, I'd suggest going for it, as late deals are likely to be non-existent
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Book Now, a number of TO are already booked up for certain resorts that week ( i know as i had spent hours trying to book that week)
Driving definately seems cheaper, although ferries/eurotunnel are yet to release online booking prices.

We have booked a Self catered chalet with premier neige in sainte foy as when we went at easter this year the slopes were fairly quiet and no real queues. However alot of their chalets are already booked. Snowbizz to puy st vincent is already fully booked half term week and esprit have some chalets in some resorts already booked.
Good luck finding what you are looking for
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Every time we've looked at cheap flights for half term week we've ended up with quotes of around £400 pp, generally Easyjet bump up for half term to ridiculous level. BA tends to be much cheaper for the busy dates but from what people say above you've missed the boat for some BA routes. Paying £1600 for a family is just not an option when you can drive for maximum £300. Even paying for hotels both ways it still comes in at less than £600 for the family. My OH is a teacher as well so we are restricted to school hols. Done 5 years of half term and this year decided on Easter ... what a difference. If you can go at Easter, do! Next year Easter will be busier than this year because holidays are less spreadout but because people have the choice of 2 weeks they are generally more dispersed (IYSWIM) .. .. I know it's a generalisation but the last few seasons seem to have been "better" snow at Easter than at half term.
ski holidays
smwbounce wrote:
I know it's a generalisation but the last few seasons seem to have been "better" snow at Easter than at half term.

That's been my experience as well - even two years ago when Easter was late
ski holidays
kwakazx6r, Easter. Nicer weather, more snow, less people, less cost snowHead
snow report
Thanks for all your help

Unfortunately its going to have to be this week as my youngest is away with the school, so it gives us the opportunity to go as a couple !

Im leaning towards booking a private chalet for now and then reviewing easy jet prices when released - if these are too high I will probably drive which gives us more flexibilty

I intend to get a 2nd week in later which wont be tied into school hols for sure Smile

Any body got a decent Chalet available Puzzled
snow conditions
kwakazx6r wrote:
Any body got a decent Chalet available Puzzled

Catered or self-catered?
latest report
rob@rar,

Catered preferably but would consider either
snow report
Silver Ski, sharing a room with the young un should see you flights transfers and good catered chalet with a great company for £700.
snow report
kwakazx6r, have a look at www.tracksvacations.com we have availability for the week you want.
ski holidays
Ryanair have just released their cheap winter flights for the half term week. Quite expensive already though.
latest report
Quote:
at easter this year the slopes were fairly quiet and no real queues.

There is no comparison between half term and Easter; the latter is generally pretty quiet in France. kwakazx6r, maybe your youngster could go on an adventure holiday in the school hols? The difference in costs would probably pay for it. Driving at half term is a real mission; you could spend a lot of time stuck in traffic. If you absolutely have to go February half term I would avoid France entirely. Small, romantic, Austrian place?
latest report
pam w,

Might be a good call - not too clued up on Austria any resort recommendations ??
snow conditions
kwakazx6r wrote:
pam w,

Might be a good call - not too clued up on Austria any resort recommendations ??

If its the main school holidays, the more well known resorts like Zell am See and Saalbach might not be a good choice. Maybe Obertauern or Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis would be a good option. Big areas are large-ish, snow sure and i believe Serfaus is car free and very quiet. Both have short airport transfers from small airports that often offer cheaper flights. Hope this information is helpful!
snow report
Ski Amade
snow conditions
We were restricted to a half term last year as well. This is what we did:

Flights East Midlands-Geneva, shopped around and got out and return flights on different airlines (EJ and BMI). About 140 quid each.

Self catering in La Thuile

Hire cars for transfers and hopping around resorts during the stay.

Flight/transfer/accomodation cost worked out under £300 per person.

You can do a half-term holiday well cheap, you just have to do everything independently.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Your ultimate choice does rather depend on what is important to you individually.

Personally, financial savings would mean a lot to me and I would much rather save the money for longer transfer. For example. Flights at half-term with Ryanair from Stansted to Karlsruhe baden are still only about £68 return. There is probably at least a 3 hour drive from there to the nearest Austrian resorts, but multiplying the cost savings from flying into Salzburg (about £376 return) by the number of heads for me would make that a worthwhile consideration.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy