Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One sidedness

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's getting a bit quiet in here so time for another question from me. Talking skiing turns here:

First a why...........why do I make better turns to the right, but if I have a choice to do a hockey stop with inevitably do it to the left side - this seems out of step - can anyone let me know why this should be the case?

Second a how (in a manner of speaking)...........If I continue to practice/strengthen on both sides I will still end up with a left turn that is less strong than my right - is there anything I can do in the summer to stengthen up my left hand turn whilst not over strengthening my right hand side.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
99 % of skiers have a better side.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, because your left leg is your 'stable' or dominant leg.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, most people have a better side. Apart from people like C,Ronaldo who are pretty handy with both.

My turns to the right remain stronger than those to the left.. I know why but just finding it alot harder to fix!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to be horrifically one sided, now I'm just 'normally' one sided. I had a disturbingly loose ACL in my right leg (I only found out because of skiing - the first time I'd felt real pain in the knee, went to a physio back home who put my leg in a triangle type shape, sat on my foot and proceeded to pull my lower leg about an inch away from my knee joint Shocked ). Many exercises later and that is rectified. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, As a horse rider you'll understand this. A few years ago I rode 6 days a week, not sure why I had a "lightbulb" moment, but one day I realised I was riding only with my right leg, in fact my right side. To overcome this I had to think of my right leg as paralysed, it took weeks of allowing the left to be dominent over over the right. When I accasionally ride now I'm much closer to equal.

As for skiing, Easiski says I ski one legged, of course the right one. Once a week at the dry slope I'm once again giving dominence to the left. Habits we have engrained over not_quite and 40 plus years will take a long time to sort out. I bet in every day life your left leg leads. Be kind to yourself and enjoy the journey, once you're just a little father down the road you'll believe you can overcome anything. Just one last thing, visualise yourself skiing, remember what made the difference when it went well, visualise your skiing giving dominence to the weaker side, my riding coach used to say "Sport is 80% in the mind". Smile Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think these days there is little difference to my turns either way - usually. However, when launching into a really steep slope over a lip I prefer the first turn to be a left one. Being equally happy either way is something I may work on next season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum,
As is being said, most have a preferred or stronger turn, but the trick is not to make yourself too dependant of one or the other.

The goal would be to get to a stage where you can pull off your 'banker turn' both ways.

It is not a 'banker turn' unless you can do it pretty much everytime, anytime, BTW.

So, if you just have a more preferred turn, then that is ok.. join the rest of us..!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An instructor once suggested I always make the first, and last, turn in the weaker direction. Sometimes I even remember to do it...... One of the Warren Smith videos suggests doing exercises more in one direction than the other, to help even things up. I suspect that the weaker leg will always be more prone to injury, though I have no evidence of that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I get twinges in my stonger leg because it works so hard, where as the weaker leg has an easy time of it and is ache free. Until recently, since I've been giving the weak leg more responsibility for the first time, it sometimes aches.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy