Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where next after Puy St Vincent and Snow biz?

Poster: A snowHead
We’ve been travelling with Snowbiz to PSV for the last couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Some of our group are now agitating for a bigger resort. I’m not so sure and think another week at PSV would be a good idea. But if any snowheads have some suggestions for resorts, companies and specific accommodation then I would be very grateful to read them.

Background
10 people – 6 adults (intermediate to advanced, I’m the only boarder), four children aged 7 to 9 all having done at last 2 weeks and reasonably competent. Happy to self cater, stay in catered chalet or hotel. We’ll be travelling around the 20th March.

The case for PSV
1. Small child friendly resort
2. minimal walking – c.200 yards between accommodation, amenities and lifts
3. Snowbizz
4. Tuition
5. Evening kids club
6. Other guests – very quickly the children make new friends and ski buddies and the parents uniformly have been very nice people

The case against
1. Small resort
2. Familiarity

I favour PSV again for the reasons above and think if we went back to a big resort I would resent the fact that the children would limit the amount of sliding we can do. I have skiing lessons at PSV, ski in the morning and switch to the board when it gets slushy in the afternoon which fills the day quite well. The evening kids club, closeness of all facilities, ability to come off slopes sit outside bar with drinks watching allegedly tired kids playing in the snow and mud makes for a relaxing holiday. Also people do not slide too fast on the mountain so I am relatively relaxed about letting the children ski off ahead. Most adults there are parents so are suitably careful.

So I guess the question is are there any companies that provide a similar service and location.
The critical must haves are:-
1. minimal walking i.e. <250 yards before skis can be put on or a lift appears. No buses
2. evening entertainment/activities for the kids
3. quality English language only tuition

And the don’t wants
1. Not PDS – I week end there
2. Not Mark Warner

I’ve heard good things about Ski Esprit and a few others but would welcome some more specifics i.e. which hotel, chalet and why.

Thanks for any recommendations.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ashton parker, despite it's reputation on here, I am going to suggest La Rosiere. Yuu can go with Ski Esprit too. LInk to Italy for those wanting to go further afield, or a day trip to one of the larger resorts. Others will suggest which chalets etc, it is a few years since we went there and went with Crystal, and did not use the childcare.

FWIW, I like familiarity with a ski resort, especially when my children were smaller.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd suggest this company, and La Tania

http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, La Ros is on the list but somebody wrote something about a lot of drag lifts which I'm not a huge fan of. I agree on the familiarity of a resort. If I know where the bends/dips etc are I can happily let the kids go. Also the kids have no excuses for not being able to do a run as they did it last year. I

kitenski, We've stayed with skibeat in La Tania a lot but it doesn't meet my "family" criteria as the accomodation was a long walk from the lifts and it loses the sun really quickly in the evening. The speed people (of which I was one) fly down the blue and red at the end of the day would concern me now I have children. That said I haven't travelled with familyfriendly so I'll check them out - thank you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ashton parker, like many places, I suspect La Ros is replacing it's steeper drag lifts. Serre Chevalier certainly are, although some still remain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ashton parker wrote:
kitenski, We've stayed with skibeat in La Tania a lot but it doesn't meet my "family" criteria as the accomodation was a long walk from the lifts and it loses the sun really quickly in the evening. The speed people (of which I was one) fly down the blue and red at the end of the day would concern me now I have children. That said I haven't travelled with familyfriendly so I'll check them out - thank you.

FFS have one chalet as good as "on" the blue run, and 3 (?) others next to the bottom of the red run. Worst case I've experienced on the last week of the season is part skiing down the red (as it's at the bottom it isn't steep) then removing skis for the last part of the walk to the gondola. It is downhill all the way Smile

We always go over Easter, so we've found it's still plenty warm enough in the evening, the kids end up sledging outside the chalets or smashing ice in the stream, exploring the woods....

If it's quietness you want, then La Ros will really fit the bill, skied there this year with my 5 and 8 year old. Unless they want to goto Italy they don't have to use any drags. My 8 year old was fine on the drags however. Doesn't seem to phase kids like it does some adults!!

If you do consider la ros, look into the accom closely, some places are a bus ride away.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been to la rosiere (chalet schatzi) , kaprun(twice), neustift and PSV (twice with ski esprit and once with snowbizz). We have been to a fab resort called sainte foy tarentaise which has the same kind of feel as PSV, however it looks a small ski area form the map (but it opens up when you are there!)

Premier neige tour operator to sainte foy run a creche/ ski school pick up etc. They also have some catered and some self catered chalets. Would definately reccomend them! Really liked sainte foy, but also it is very close to tignes and les arc/la plagne and also la rosiere are all within a 10-30 min drive!

chalet schatzi is probably the closest to the lifts of the ski esprit properties in la rosiere, there are lots of drag lifts in la rosiere some of which are quite long and have a bit of a kick to them, but overall it was a nice place for the kids. Premier neige dont do an evening kids club though.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not much help - but we're in the same situation - last four years at Puy with Snowbizz and would like to consider somewhere else but the more we go the more safe we feel! We're thinking one more go next year, but then we said that last year!

Will be interested to look at some of the options being thrown around here. On a positive point - I'm starting to think that if it ain't broke why fix it. We all love Puy and while a bigger resort would be fun our youngest is 8 and eldest 11 and they seem more than happy with what they know. They're also progressing well at the ski school which gives a very good "joined up" service year on year - which we'd been unlikely to enjoy if we went to different resorts with different TOs.

Sorry, no answers from me, but I would be interested in anything similar to Puy as well so that we can consider it sometime in the future . . . .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kids of that age that have been skiing for 2 weeks can go in ski school in the morning and parents ski with them pm. No special kids facilities/creche needed.
Our main criteria during peak periods is quiet pistes. We went to La Rosiere 23rd March and every bed in resort was apparently sold; the pistes were wonderfully empty. Went to Tignes in quiet January and the pistes were busy and full of nutters.
You will spend 6/7 hrs on the slopes, why worry about an extra 200 yrd walk?
I skied 4 days in LR without using a drag. There is 1 long one to get to Italy that is umavoidable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at the PSV MAP there seems to be a good number of drag lifts Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, is right,you only need a morning ski school for them, why pay for the expensive childcare if you don't really need it? I'd rather spend the extra on better acommodation/food.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about Valmeinier? Most of the accommodation is ski in/out. Reasonable sized local area, and can do a day trip to Valloire if you fancy it.

I went there as a near beginner and thought it was excellent and the better skiers seemed satisfied too. The slopes and lifts were completely empty when i was there, admittedly the last week in January.

Or perhaps Obergurgl in Austria if the budget allows?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have to say on the PSV front that it's not just about child care it's also about the way snowbizz organise the pick up drop off of children. With standard lessons you drop off and have to return in time to pick up the children, whereas with Snowbizz at Puy you can drop of children early (if you want - we don't but others do and get an extra 50 mins sans children). You also know that if you're stuck somewhere up the mountain at ski school end your children are looked after by the snowbizz team and not just left to stand on their own at the waiting point. This is very much the main reason we continue to go there. Ours go to the kids club as well but that's just an added bonus.

Unless anyone has experience to the contrary, I suspect that the drop off and pick up from childrens ski school could be a bit more problematic at a different resort without the snowbizz input.

Any thoughts, anyone?

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnnyh - same situation wrt to kiddie pickup at FFS - http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com

regards,

greg
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnnyh, it is not rocket science. Ski schools generally meet near a main uplift. Drop kids off there, catch lift, ski, and arrive back at same point at end of lesson. Have lunch and then ski with kids. Enjoy that briefest of moments when you are better than them.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, We don't use a daytime kids club. We ski with the kids before and after our lessons. Lessons are exclusive to snowbizz from very strong english speaking instructors. Its the evening kids club we like as they can go off and play with their friends in a larger purpose built space compared to the relatively small area in a traditional chalet. I've also noted as I get older I get tireder and stiffer in the evening and look forward to sitting, eating and drinking. Our kids seem to get tired at the end of the day for about 20 minutes (normally the time needed for a chocolate pancake of some description) and then are back full of beans. At PSV I can sit in the sun, have a few beers and watch a motley crew oif children run up and down snowy/muddy banks having a whale of a time. Evening kids club hits the spot nicely afterwards. 200 yards makes a huge difference when yours truly is required to go back to the ski locker to get items daugher forgot, wife forgot and to change back to my snowboard when the snow has got all slushy. Piste map is a little out of date. There are only two drag lifts, one of which can be avoided by using a chairlift.

johnnyh, absolutely - Described in words it doesn't sound that impressive but it works so very well. Its the extra touches that really work I think (evening kids club, name labels for the kids gear so you can't mix them up, family guiding etc)

fizz, thank you - I'll have a look at chalet schatzi

La Ros sounds the most tempting but I still think the snowbiz PSV formula is hard to beat - if only they would expand to another resort.
ski holidays
ashton parker, Things change every year as the kids get older. Pick a chalet where the kids can play outside. They have snow, they need nothing else. It does get easier with each year.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I remember paying for expensive summer accommodation with kids club when boys were a similar age. They didn't want to go, and we didn;t like the accommodation or the resort, parents were more fun to be with than the kids club. Done our own thing after that.......... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, it may not sound like rocket science but it has been known not to be able to get back to the ski school meeting point at the designated time - and it is just one more thing to worry about which snowbizz manage to help just that little extra with. Other TOs are, I'm afraid, nowhere near as good at sorting this level of detail out. As my two get older I may feel slightly less worried about them dealing with situations unknown to them, but they're really not at an age where I would leave them unattended in a resort.

As others have said Snowbizz give attention to the small details which makes the overall package compelling. In addition to what's been said above, single bus transfer, kids video on the transfer also spring to mind as the things you really don't get if you go with other (larger) TOs who do not specialize in being family friendly.
ski holidays
Go to Austria and stick them in all day school.
latest report
Quote:
stick them in all day school

but they might well hate it. I don't think any of mine would have wanted to do all day ski school. I think many kids that age really like familiarity and returning to the same holiday spot year after year. If it works so well, and until they get bored with it, I think I'd be inclined to stick with the formula you know. Anything else would certainly require more energy. If the adult skiers are getting bored, persuade them to take up snowboarding too!
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman said :"Go to Austria and stick them in all day school."

- The funny thing is I like to ski with them so I appreciate time together.
snow conditions
johnnyh, `Sorry but if that is the case then I just don't get the benefits of having someone taking and collecting your kids from ski school.

Once they are off the nursery slopes and bombing around why pay someone else to do what you like doing?
snow report
johnnyh wrote:
I'm starting to think that if it ain't broke why fix it.

Sounds like you already have a conclusion Smile

This year we made a breakthrough where our youngest could ski with us all day which relieves the childcare requirements somewhat. Nonetheless I still appreciate all the positives ashton parker enumerated. Negatives for me are not the size (I rate the 1000m vertical above the village highly and the terrain off the Pendine) but the driving distance from Zurich and the lift queues that we had since we had to start going in the main holiday season.

In addition, Snowbizz gave the best service of any company I have been with and the price is good as well.

If we do something different next year it will be much closer to home and probably all DIY. I am struggling to find somewhere in CH which matches the convenience of PSV though. If we could I would seriously think about a season rental.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, well they are having lessons and since I'm not an instuctor it's probably best they learn skiing from someone who won't teach them bad habbits. They're also going through the international scheme so each year seem to get a better badge which relates to their improved ability. It works well for them. My main concern is just the start and mainly the end. But from an ability point of view, you're right we could just spend all day on the slopes together but then as I say I'd like them to improve in structured way while they can.
ski holidays
johnnyh, I think FTS meant that before and after ski school you can pick them up and not the childcare people. I don't think he was suggesting they don't have ski school.
snow conditions
to make PSV more exciting for the adult skiers, could yo not have a couple of day trips either to serre chevalier via briancon or montgenvre -just a thought
snow conditions
dan100, unfortunately that doesn't work. Kids are only in ski school for 2 hours per day - not enough time to go anywhere else. And if they are with us then there is no point going anywhere else.

Thanks for the comments above. It is clear that the Snowbizz/PSV formula is hard to beat and is not replicated elsewhere (particulalry at their price). Yes we can adapt our holiday to other operators methodology - my point is that I don't want to if i don't have to. I am happy to go back to PSV some of my group wold like to explore other options. Ski Esprit looks like the best choice but is a lot more expensive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
booked snowbizz/PSV for week beginning 22nd March - all in price for 2 adults and 1 seven year old in a 2 bedroom self catering including flights and transfers just GBP1,000 - passes, lessons and ski hire only a couple of hundred.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy