Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Balance and agility

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any tips for practising and developing balance and agility when off skis?

I'm thinking in terms of exercises and devices like balance boards etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Old skateboard deck, 2litre bottle of coke fizzed to make it solid, balance!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
find a pair of skates.

run barefoot on sand, then in trainers over uneven rocks and roots and things.

basketball/tennis/martial arts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bosu
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga, allegedly horse riding uses similar balance and musculature. I'm allergic to our equine friends so can't say for sure.

Hill running. Water-skiing, kite-boarding, wind-surfing, surfing... Fencing. Dance (sober).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, As some may recall I've said sveral times now how I think many horse riding skills are complementary to skiing - particularly in those of us that learned 30+ years ago in the old toes up and heels down position (brilliant for ankle flex when skiing I should think. The 'seat; of a horse rider is similar to the BZK stance of skiing too. I started riding when I was 4 years old and rode regularly until I was nearly 20years old and off and on since then. I can't see any reason why the skills learned doing it don't help with my skiing. I also danced too for a similar duration of my life. I don't think I shall ever be a skiing 'natural', but I don't have bad balance (I think) and I'm sure the riding and dancing must have helped with that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slack-lining
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I'm sure you're right. A chum once brought a new girlfriend out who'd never skied before but had been a high level (nationals) speed skater. Within a week she was skiing "black" runs fluently. Very impressive.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eg:

http://youtube.com/v/nUDtn1wNtR0&feature=related
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
or
http://youtube.com/v/v9APkG4il4Q&feature=related
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, whenever you're standing, waiting for kettle to boil etc. stand on one leg for as long as poss, once it becomes easy make it difficult, move other leg, close your eyes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
offpisteskiing, HOLY F**K Awesome!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wobble cushion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, yep, that'll do it, if you're still ALIVE! Wow. Cool Vid. Please tell me he was not using any security?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, Pretty sure he does have a harness & sling trailing behind him attahced to the slack-line..
However Dean Potter here doesn't
http://youtube.com/v/90xfWYnz9KM... Shocked
Search Dean Potter on youtube for more madcap craziness...
latest report
roga, Salsa, wobble cushion (one of Jordan's spares) or just simply standing on one leg with your eyes shut. Balance reflexes deteriorate markedly with age and us crumbly types need to practice as much as possible.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/xYQGApmpBp4&feature=related for a great back flip on slackline
snow report
Played with a balance board on a course this season, after the instructor highly recommended that kind of activity for the off-season. Although I was fairly inept I enjoyed it and bought one on eBay when I got back to the UK. Used it a few times per week since then, and I'm sure my balance is improved (or at least my ability to use the balance board is better).
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/lFkfrM0PODg&feature=related

And just see what a little kid can do... now get practicing.
latest report
I'm just about to do the ironing standing on my Bosu ball! ( Shocked )
ski holidays
Hurtle, is that entirely safe?!
snow report
rob@rar, well, it's a challenge, certainly! wink
snow conditions
chain surfing ......

http://youtube.com/v/jH9X6Uvs2-Q

nice dismount at end
latest report
daehwons, Hey, all this stuff is almost as fun as ski, now off to work, will take a cusion to stand on.
snow report
roga, Wii Fit Very Happy It's practically ALL about balance and agility. Fun too Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Hurtle,

I wouldn't let a woman iron my shirts............................... but on a bosu ball...!!!!! wink
snow conditions
surfing
latest report
Thanks for all the tips Toofy Grin

I'm not about to take up horseriding and was never into long runs (more a 100/200 metre person myself) but fencing sounds like an interesting one (of the sabre rattling kind) - does it help much?

In terms of what I can do at home there are some intersting suggestions - big WOW to the slacklining videos, where do you get the kit from? I could set that up in the garden I guess!

As for Wobble cushions, balls and boards what are the best ones, any recommendations?

For general stuff in the home what about a stepper like this and/or a set of kit like this - do you reckon it'd be any good?

Also tell me more about bosu balls - I presume they're different to normal gym balls (like the one in the set above), what are the advantages?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

For general stuff in the home what about a stepper like this and/or a set of kit like this - do you reckon it'd be any good?

The kit is useful only as far as you're willing to force yourself to use it. Read: terminal boredom.

Quote:

Also tell me more about bosu balls - I presume they're different to normal gym balls (like the one in the set above), what are the advantages?

They're not balls at all. They're hemispheres. BOth Sides Up. Flat side up is more for overall balance, i.e. for training position of the centre of mass, soft half side up means the ankles are independently activated.
snow report
comprex, You may have a point - I try to persist with my home equipment, but about 10 mins in one go is about as much as I do at one time - hardly enough, but better than nothing. It is just soooo boring to sit at home and do and little better going to a gym. Better seems to be able to fit activity into normal life if you can.
snow report
comprex wrote:

The kit is useful only as far as you're willing to force yourself to use it. Read: terminal boredom.

Which is why the Wii Fit is so good. It's fun!, competitive and you can do it in your lounge. Very Happy
latest report
Wii-Fit, slightly different approach to balance then actually doing the excercise, it shows you where your centre of gravity is, then tries to develop exercises to improve your balance. Its OK trying to balance, but how do you now you have the correct posture, you maybe at balance but holding yourself in that position and straining yourself in the process.

The Wii-Fit tries to show you by example then follow using the balance board to show you balance movements.
snow conditions
Anyone notice that -all- of the at-home stuff so far really only focuses on balance?
snow conditions
How about placing a plank on plant pots, one at each end. With feet together jump from side to side from top to bottom, if this is too easy, one leg, harder still use taller pots.
snow conditions
Or cicumnavigate house and garden as quick as poss. without touching the floor.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
Anyone notice that -all- of the at-home stuff so far really only focuses on balance?
Not surprising, this sort of equipment is economical on space. I'd love to have a rowing machine and a Skier's Edge at home, but don't have the space for them. A bosu ball and a few free weights, on the other hand....
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
comprex wrote:
Not surprising, this sort of equipment is economical on space. I'd love to have a rowing machine and a Skier's Edge at home, but don't have the space for them. A bosu ball and a few free weights, on the other hand....

Yeah, right! Do some agility training at home. bouncing up and down the stairs, for example... and a professionally designed obstable course in our backyard too!!! rolling eyes

Hey, that's why we Americans need 6000 sqft house on a 10 acre lot for a family of 2 -- the great American dream!!! wink
ski holidays
In-line skating and squash/racquetball I would say.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I'd agree; almost anything with lateral balancing and redirection really.

One of my intended points above was that solo individuals rarely challenge their own agility, so best value for money would be to have at least one helper, training partner or co-participant.
latest report
place two small trampolines side by side, bounce from one to tuther, better still, checking first all your neighbours in the street ( terraced would be preferable ) have trampolines, and looking out of plane windows, most do, bounce from garden to garden. You can see I don't waste my time at work !!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy