Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D Isere

Poster: A snowHead
We were going to go back to Selva val Gardena next year but "might" want to try something different.

What Val D Isere like and is it safe enough to book now?

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970,
Quote:

What Val D Isere like and is it safe enough to book now?

Big, expensive, semi- ugly and crowded in high season and packed full of Brits. But it has excellent skiing for just about anyone.
It is very dangerous to book at the moment however the snow record is generally said to be reliable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
when are you thinking of going? I reckon you'd get a good deal booking to travel now Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SAFE? DANGEROUS? .................... Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, I've not long come back from Val D'Isere, and like the others say it is big and expensive but does have excellent skiing not just in Val D'Isere but in neighbouring Tignes too. I personally prefer Tignes I think but I would go back to Val D'Isere again definitely, I would just stay in a different accomodation next time.

Like kitenski said, you might get a good deal booking up now. I've just booked up to go to Meribel next January with Inghams, I got a good deal in a catered chalet hotel practically ski in ski out too, Inghams are offering £280 off per couple on Early Bird bookings for next season if that's worth a look for you. They go to Val D'Isere but I've not tried any of their accomodations before.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 9-05-08 12:44; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
By the way, Tignes/Val D'Isere is pretty good for snow reliability whenever you go, Tignes is best though with it being a bit higher up than Val.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
By the way, Tignes/Val D'Isere is pretty good for snow reliability whenever you go, Tignes is best though with it being a bit higher up than Val.

In terms of skiing reliabilty I'd actually say that for most of the winter Vd'I is the better option as you have a few trees in bad weather. I prefer Tignes as a resort as well though it's had a good wash from the ugly brush.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, Tis true about the trees in bad weather and poor visibility. And tree skiing-what fun. Lots more slush though I found in Val than in Tignes although it was 6th-20th April when I went mind you. I don't mind a bit of that personally but I know some people don't like skiing in it. I love Tignes, I like it's moonbase appearance and when you drive over the dam bridge, you know you're nearly there. I love that bit. And the Arbina....yum what can I say. I will definitely be going back there for lunch and on chalet day off come December.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jb1970, Have stayed and skied in Tignes and Val D'isere. Much prefer Tignes - ski in ski out and not so many Brits as Val D. The Espace Killey is vast and we found it good for all varying abilities in the family. Going December this year coming home Xmas Eve!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are thinking of booking just now to take advantage of the special offers - if there are any!! The £289 per couple sounds like a really good deal. However, if we are booking early, we want to be as sure as we can that there will be no problems with snow - that is why I was asking - I presume that Val d Isere is high enough to book now.

One expert skier and one intermediate skier here. We would be going at the end of February (the week after the school week, its the 21/22 Feb 09).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jb1970, If you can go a week later than that you'd avoid a busy week. Although your dates are after the UK half-term, the week of the 21st is still peak period for French (and other) school holidays. If Val d'Isere has no snow at the end of Feb then most other places are going to be in trouble as well, so I think you can book with as much confidence now as you can at any time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970,
Sounds like a complete bargain to me, the only thing to be aware of is that if you are used to other places in Europe the size of French accommodation and the quality of furnishings can come as a bit of a shock particularly at the cheaper end of the market.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970, I think you will find that the first week of March will also be pretty busy as the French school holidays don't end till 9 March. The resorts will be much less busy after that. Or if you don't want to wait that long the first week of February should be a good bet too. Val D'Isere is as safe as anywhere to book early though like others above I prefer Tignes for convenience - less pretentious and fewer Brits (the two points are linked, sadly). Being based in Tignes wouldn't stop you heading for the small number of trees in Val D'Isere if it was that sort of weather. Getting to and from the slopes seems easier in Tignes. Val D'Isere is very spread out - need to check your location carefully. Unless your intermediate is pretty spunky you might want to download in a gondola to Val D'Isere. An intermediate would have no problem with the (hilariously graded) "green" run down to La Daille but unless you are staying in La Daille, which is a bit far from the centre, you then have to wait for a bus to get back to Val D'Isere. Skiing down to Tignes is no problem.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
[
Big, expensive, semi- ugly and crowded in high season and packed full of Brits.

much as I'd love to go back to Val now I can kinda ski properly, for the above reasons I doubt I ever will (for more than a passing day anyway).

Shame really ... but too many other wonderful places with less downsides to explore.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The ski area is vast, and has a lot of good areas on and off piste for intermediates and above. Not so good for beginners, except on the glacier. The green run Verte is a beginners' trap when it is icy. Tree runs and the appearance of the village give Val D the edge over Tignes for me. And there is nothing like the Le Fornet area playground of tress and wonderful off piste skiing in Tignes. Definitely a must-go-to resort. Having said all that, although I have been there several times, I have no plans to go there again.
ski holidays
jb1970, Book it. Espace Killy is fantastic, and with the glacier about as snow sure as they come. Don't forget to check out the Grand Marnier Bar in Val D (just down from the lifts). Double Grand Marnier for 1.7 Euro and crepese with as much as you can pour. Who says drinking in Val D has to be expensive? Madeye-Smiley snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
Ignore the doubters - just book it. It will be as 'snow sure' as anywhere, plus there will be a lot of development finished both in the town and on the mountain over the summer as it has the World Championships next season.

(Anyone else notice how for a predominantly British forum, we like to moan about a resort for being too British, then all book en-mass for organised bashes and take over entire apartment blocks Twisted Evil )
snow conditions
So would be ok for an intermediate (not that good I don't think) like me?

I gather it is snowsure.
snow conditions
jb1970, sorry-just read your post above-I have edited my post above about the Inghams deal-its £280 off per couple on selected holidays not £280 per couple. I missed the "off" out in my earlier post, sorry about that.

Anyway its still a good deal IMO near £300 off a holiday if you book soon. I've just booked up through them and got the discount for a trip to Meribel.
snow report
Everybody! Its not £280 per couple. Its £280 off per couple. I made a typo earlier on. That's my fault although it does say £280 off on the Inghams website.

Anyway, jb1970, what are we calling "intermediate" first of all? I'm sure you would be fine though.

Try and go a different week to the one you are suggesting like the others have commented to avoid the French holidays. Can you go mid/end January instead? It will be much quieter then.

You will not have a problem with snow reliability in Tignes. If there is a problem in Tignes the rest of the Alps will be worse off so you have nothing to lose.

If you have a look at the Inghams website, consider the Levanna. Thats in a good spot in Tignes Le Lac just over the road from the Arbina! My fave place for lunch now if you recall!
Toofy Grin. I think the SCGB use that place for their May Bank Holiday Blast trip as I recall although I've never been on one of their trips.
snow conditions
jb1970 wrote:
So would be ok for an intermediate (not that good I don't think) like me?

I gather it is snowsure.
Perfect for intermediates. An expert might think there are surprisingly few tough blacks for such an important resort, but the off-piste is fantastic and there are lots of companies running off-piste groups that people can join (eg Alpine Experience or TopSki - the former for intermediate/advanced - the latter for experts since their top groups are a slightly better standard).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy