Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere back on form for this weekend's big downhill

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

Val d'Isere's 'Criterium Premiere Neige' - traditional start to the European World Cup downhill racing season - is back in business for its opening this weekend. A training run today (Friday) will go ahead - PG reports much improved conditions this morning. Marginal snow conditions have prompted mammoth efforts by the resort over the past fortnight to keep the course in condition. This was threatened by a thaw and rainfall which forced cancellation of a training run on Thursday.

Stay tuned with regular updates and photos from PG, who is on the scene for www.snowRacers.net

Recorded coverage of the race is scheduled for Channel 4, 8am Sunday.

Background and comment can also be tracked on this snowHeads thread.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-12-04 12:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's also being shown live on British Eurosport Sat 9.30am
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today's training run went ahead as expected. The fastest time was recorded by ..... click to this snowRacers thread.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Click to enlarge - a happy Maier having recorded the fastest time in today's practice runContrasting fortunes for the pre-race favourites as Maier stormed to the fastest time while Bode Miller, just 17/100th back in 5th place, clearly slowing before the finish line, was later disqualified for wearing his giant slalom instead of his downhill suit!

More photos here
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does that mean that Bode won't race tomorrow?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
He's definitely racing. Bib no 23 Miller, 28 Maier.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The thoughts of Finlay Mickel (GB) on his chances (32nd best time on the single practice day) and his assessment of Maier (AU), Miller (US) & Deneriaz (FR) in this partly autobiographical article from the Guardian including this wonderful line
Quote:
But this is no longer the age of Eddie the Eagle - someone who, it was once observed, jumped to contusions.

And the 'story' about Bode Miller's wrong suit .....
Quote:
Giant slalom suits are fitted with plastic padding to protect skiers when they hit gates in the technical disciplines. The padding makes them more aerodynamic and faster than the more porous downhill outfits.

"He wore the GS suit instead of the downhill suit because he hits the gates hard and because it's warmer," U.S. men's coach Phil McNichol said. "And he knew (Friday's) training had no bearing on the start numbers. He'll be wearing the right suit for the race."
from a link on our sister forum, snowRacers. He also stood up near the end of his run to avoid giving away his 'real' time. Quite a cute operator is Mr. Bode ? Or rule-bending to excess ? Any views....... it will be interesting to see the results after all the problems with practice sessions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Werner Franz, off at position number two, has won the third mens downhill at Val d'Isère. It is his first World Cup win in the discipline but wasn't totally unexpected after being second in training yesterday. The conditions were said to favour the Austrian team and Bode Miller had to be content with fourth place after a small fault cost him vital time. Hermann Maier, the fastest in training, trailed in back in 26th place.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More results from BBC Sport and the overall standings here
<< Edit - for up to date standings after the GS use link in next post >>

Remarkably, Finlay Mickel came in 2 places better than the Herminator, he managed 24th. Rather looks like the starting order and deteriorating weather had a big influence on the placings. Our man on the slopes, PG, will no doubt be able to give more information.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 13-12-04 8:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK it's not downhill but I didn't want to start another topic just for the V d'I Mens' GS Results. See here from CNN.com or an on-the-spot report plus the full result on our sister forum snowRacers

And the surprise result of the event from the Independent ...
Quote:
The day's surprise performance was by 21-year-old Italian rookie Mirko Deflorian. Starting 58th in the opening run, Deflorian overcame the increasingly rutted snow to post the 24th best time. He then delivered the fastest second leg to finish a stunning fifth, just 0.86 seconds off the pace.

Back on the downhill topic ... some quotes from Finlay about his excellent result on Saturday in the downhill, from the Guardian. Particularly liked the reporter's last line.
Quote:
"It was nice to take the big man down," he said yesterday. Mickel sees this as a breakthrough season as he targets the top 30 finishes that bring World Cup points.

"I've got a new approach this season," he said. "I'm much more relaxed. I put myself under too much pressure last season. I skied really well. And my split times in training revealed that I was 10th in some of the stages.

"Last year a member of the France team wanted to know what I was playing at, a Briton in the downhill of all things. But on Saturday he came up and told me how well I had skied. It was a nice moment.

"I'm happy with my gliding and aerodynamics. But I still have work to do in the harder, technical areas." Bartelski said afterwards: "I think Finlay has real top-10 potential."

The average British skier, famous for spending an arm and a leg to break same, has a new hero to cheer.

Next stop on the Mens' circuit - Monday for floodlit slalom at Sestriere
Finally the overall WC standings from BBC Sport
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was there on Saturday - lovely day for spectators, warm and sunny! Very exciting to see Finlay beat the Herminator but the spectator Brits were very quiet, or maybe just not many of us there. Disappointed to see NO snowHead stickers, banners etc, there. Must do better next time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy