Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snoasis . . .

Poster: A snowHead
It would be nice to follow progres and hear comments on this, but please - mods? - could we do it on a single thread?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, Maybe this should be moved to Resorts, I'm sure there'll be a lot of discussion on it over next few years.

This is only outline planning consent and they have a number of conditions to satisfy first, i think final decision 17th Sept. Then they will need to apply for detailed planning consent.

I'd say opening is a good 5 years off.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/snoasis1199516
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, what is interesting is that the scheme has been split in to 3 separate planning applications - houses, railway station and leisure village (dome and activity facilities, retail, hotels etc.), and each separate application has been considered at the same. There is a condition that the snow dome has to be completed before any of the leisure village is occupied, this is good, but there seems to be no condition that similarly relates to the other two applications, i.e. the house development and railway station.

I have no idea what the financial structure of the development is, but typically upon receipt of full planning I would expect Persimmon (house builder) to pay the developer for the land upon which the houses are located. In reality I would suggest that the housing will be built first, then the remainder will follow.

This is, as you say, outline planning permission, which in reality is only an agreement in principal to build the overall scheme. This permission can be resubmitted in any manner whatsoever, increased upon, decreased upon, etc. So there is a possibility that the housing could be executed, and then an adjusted application be submitted for the remainder of the project.

This has a long way to go, and I would suggest to obtain detailed planning may take two years (it has just taken us 12 months to get detailed planning for 8 flats Shocked ), full design and procurement may well take a year, and the build may well take 3 years. These are very conservative estimates of time

I would not expect anyone to be sliding around there on snow for six years minimum,
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"SSAWS closed on September 30, 2002. In 2003, the structure was demolished to make way for Japan's first large-format IKEA store" rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, how would you like the mods to help you discuss on a single thread?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, er, I just meant amalgamate the two current threads, if that's possible. Sorry, just a thought...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN wrote:
Kel, and what's so unusual in being interested in learning? You never stop doing that; I see that John Williams from Norfolk Ski Club, already one of the better over-30s skiers in the country, just improved his national ranking on Sunday at the age of 57. 4 weeks is fine, but if you are interested in perfomance level skiing then it's nowhere near enough. The point of drysplopes and snowdomes is that you can ski them all year (without having to spend half of it in the Southern hemisphere), and so get in regular practice - it then becomes a genuine sport not just an activity holiday. And 400+m is a totally different kettle of fish to 150m. I've not been to Landgraaf yet, but am interested in doing so some time (and one of our coaches is dead keen on the idea so it may well happen). Remember that Landgraaf is homologated for holding Europa Cup slaloms.

I'm interested that SnOasis claims it will be the largest slope in Europe. Don't know what the total width of Landgraaf is but 520m is longer than 415m in my book, and 5 slopes must at worst get pretty close to 70m wide. Sounds like there's a bit of spin and creative use of language going on there somewhere.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever unusual about being interested in learning. It is just that not everyone is interested in competition skiing and have found there recreational level whatever that may be and are quite happy with it.

I just know that indoor slopes do not particularly float my boat, if they serve a purpose for you that's great. It would be a boring world if we were all the same. When CF opened which is about 25 mins away from me, I thought great I will be there ever other weekend, in reality I have been twice and have been bored after 45 mins both times. Compare this to the real thing I get the 1st lift up in the morning and the last lift in the afternoon, with only a short lunch break in between.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 8-05-08 18:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems a damn fool place to build a complex like that. Puzzled Any further east and it would be in Holland! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An article in London's Metro this morning gives some details, apparently permission has been granted, they plan completion by around 2012. According to the paper the slope will be a 100m "vertical" and the picture shows a proper chair lift. Could be quite exciting, eh? Smile
If they overcome "fierce" opposition form the locals...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
3 planning applications were submitted, 400+ houses, railway station, and Snoasis Leisure development, the secretary of state has granted permission for the houses and railway station and is 'minded to aprrove' Snoasis provided it can meet certain conditions. The primary condition to be met is that of sustainability, all it's energy required to run the complex must come from 100% decentralised or renewable energy. Should the developers of Snoasis prove they can meet this requirement together with wildlife issues the secretary of state will grant permission in Sept 08.

It's a massive project, £350+million, if I had that kind of money I could think of far better sources of return! Will be interesting! Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tommy007, welcome to Snowheads.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As much as I would like to see Snoasis built, given current economic conditions, I just can't see them getting the funding.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ssnowman, think they already have it? They're ready to go as soon as they have the greenlight as I understand it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I hope you're right, it's just that I see so many projects on hold at the moment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssnowman, true, but i think the timescales on this one are such that (hopefully) we'd be coming out the other side of current downturn by the time they'd need to start pre-letting.
snow conditions
I'm all for decent developments and although on a much smaller scale to Snoasis a "Leisure Village" was built in my now home town of Kettering with a big leisure pool, ice rink etc as a sweetner for building a large residential estate. The building still exists, but there is no pool or ice rink any more and hasn't been for years. Should the footfall not meet the running costs I doubt the developers will be in any hurry to bail it out... I haven't read too much about it, so hopefully it will be viable long term option.

I dread to think how much these things cost to run!
snow report
Thanks. As I understand the developer is only getting planning and will then let someone else follow the project through, although this is only what I have heard through fairly reliable sources.beanie1,
ski holidays
Tommy007, i don't think they plan to sell the development as a whole. I think they plan to bring partners on board to develop different parts of the scheme.

I suspect they will hang on to the resi!

Do you have a particular interest in indoor slopes, Tommy007? All 4 of your posts relate to them!
snow conditions
Tommy007 wrote:
Thanks. As I understand the developer is only getting planning and will then let someone else follow the project through, although this is only what I have heard through fairly reliable sources.beanie1,

With the greatest respect that is a bit waffly but what do you expect?

The structure of any development is complicated but it is common place to 'syndicate off' elements or even all of the development as each constituent part is likely to be developed by the interested party, hotel by the hotel company, supermarket by supermarket company, housing by housing company etc, so I would doubt the developer will be doing much themselves at all.
snow report
According to this, a decision in mid September http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5879
snow report
In this current financial climate I suspect that funding may well be hard to finalise, even if it was previously / potentially in place
ski holidays
I went on a trip with the local ski club just after this thread had died out, they were not expecting it to happen.
latest report
Last I heard it's still on track.
latest report
Just heard that the decision that was due yesterday has been delayed until 5th November.
snow conditions
Am l right in thinking SnOasis has the go ahead, please put me out of my misery someone, its a mere jaunt, where as Mk is 3-4 hrs Very Happy
latest report
clare mcbride, According to the latest news on their site, yes.
latest report
Great news, just over 20 miles from me! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Just hoping they'll welcome day visitors.
snow conditions
The BBC reports on the approval.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
now all they need to do is get the funding (they may have had it before the credit crunch but probably not now), design the entire scheme and build it - the quote of 'three years to build' seems a bit optimistic in the extreme wink
ski holidays
Well l'm going to believe it will happen Very Happy Very Happy brilliant news
snow report
Persimmon. Duncan Davidson, who owns it, has been desperately selling off his racehorses, farmland and anything else that's not tied down. And Ipswich has been one of the less likely places to experience a property boom.

I bet you a bottle of Genepy that it never happens - not before 2015, anyway.
snow conditions
DonKt think Persimmon own it, they're just developing the resi element. The site is owned by Onslow Suffolk.
snow report
James the Last wrote:

I bet you a bottle of Genepy that it never happens - not before 2015, anyway.

You're on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
looks rubbish. Rather be outside
latest report
The land/property/infrastructure world is littered with part completed developments.We have a classic example just up the road from me.Originally conceived as a 'village' development,complete with shops and various leisure facilities,it was welcomed with open arms by the planners.Yes-they built the roads,and the islands,and the houses...and more houses...and even more houses...and they sold the lot.Oh,and they dug a duck pond rolling eyes The rest of the 'facilities' never happened,and never will.I fear the same will come of Snoasis.Eventually,as funding allows,a housing sprawl will develop,which will support a retail park,and feed workers into various industrial areas on the outskirts.The 'dome' will be way down the list,and will be eventually lost in the drive to increase housing and business opportunities.I rather suspect the original development plans will become rather fluid as time passes by?Domes are great...if you ski.Potential economic suicide though if you are a developer Sad
snow report
Its 30 mins drive from me. Saw the plans a few years ago, and now it is to become a reality!! Happy Days!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
Anybody know who might be recruiting for staff/ instructors?
ski holidays
I've read the report on the enquiry into this, and from memory (though don't quote me) am pretty certain the dome and the station have to be built first. By the time the developers need the bulk of the money for this banks will be lending again. By a quirk of fate I think this will be timed well for the economic cycle, completing as we go into the next upturn.
snow report
What's this "middle of nowhere" business?! Tell that to the London hordes who hoss up the A12 every weekend to get to Aldeburgh and Southwold. Ipswich is a mere trifle for them in comparison. As for those of us who already live only 20 mins from Ipswich - yeehaw, if it comes to fruition.

I've ended up in a relationship with a non-skier (rugby-player's knee injuries) and for all sorts of reasons ski holidays are not on the cards for the foreseeable Sad. But, I work from home, so if Snoasis lets day visitors in, I'll be sneaking the odd day off. Of course it's not like the real thing, but I love skiing as an exercise, not just for the holiday aspect, so it's definitely better than nothing.

Fingers crossed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy