Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

7 good skiers 2 learners 1 boarder will Ischgl be ok??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there is a group of us hoping to go to Ischgl - will it be ok for the 2 learner skiers as one of them has read it's not very good if your learning.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I put in my review that it is not the best place in the alps to learn, and my reasons are as follows:

- runs back to resort are more difficult, so beginners probably won't be able to ski down to resort, and will miss the true ski-in/out experience
HOWEVER, you can download in the gondola at the end of the day and meet up in the rowdy bar below so it's not a make or break problem

- beginners have to pay for the full liftpass, and this is more expensive than most other Austrian resorts, or than resorts where you can get a smaller beginners pass that only covers certain areas
HOWEVER, still no more expensive than lots of alternatives, particularly if you compare to e.g. 3 valleys etc.

- the ski area is massive with lots of off-piste and steeper sections that beginners won't be able to make the most of
HOWEVER, there is absolutely loads of terrain to learn on, so this certainly shouldn't stop you.

I don't think I would say it's not very good if you're learning, rather that a learner might not get as much out of such a great ski area as someone with a couple more weeks under their belt would. Not that a beginner wouldn't enjoy it, more that the difference between the beginner and the intermediate experience might be greater here than in some other resorts. You could say the same about lots of places though. I doubt a first week skier will really see all there is to see of the 3V or any other big linked areas.

So to qualify, I never meant to imply that it's no good for beginners, just that the area is more 'ideal' for intermediates and beyond.

D
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to Ischgl with a mixed party, including complete beginners and one non-skier, and it's been absolutely fine. While it's not as good for beginners as some others with loads of green and blue runs (e.g. Courchevel), there is still a reasonable variety available. In addition, you can learn so fast these days with easier equipment and better teaching that if it's anything like the experience in our group, the beginners will be doing red runs by the end of week 1.

And it's not a big deal coming down in the gondola at the end of the day - I've often done so myself there even though I am experienced, not because the runs are difficult, but because they are narrow and can get crowded, with the risk that you get taken out by someone who is out of control
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Deliaskis and Julian T thanks for your replys i really appreiciate them. Did either of you d the toboggan run?? if you did can you give me any idea how it all works ie do you take you own sledges up with you / do you need to book if you want to eat in the restaurant / how much does it cost - anything really that you think would help me - many thanks julie
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
juliebenn, we didn't do the toboggan run, but from other Austrian places, normally you rent a toboggan from a local ski shop or from the lift station, and I would say yes you would probably need to book a table as toboggan nights do get busy. You normally pay a relatively small amount for a night liftpass, usually around E20, although as I said that experience is not from Ischgl, but from other resorts, so don't take it as gospel.

D
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
juliebenn wrote:
Hi there is a group of us hoping to go to Ischgl - will it be ok for the 2 learner skiers as one of them has read it's not very good if your learning.

it'll be epic. Just go, ski and apres ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
juliebenn, I haven't done it, but know you can rent toboggans from Silvretta Sports which has shops both in the base station and top station of the Silvrettabahn gondola. They open the lift from 7.00pm till 8.30pm. Your lift passes aren't valid for the evenings, so you have to pay both for the lift and for the toboggans (total combined = € 19.50 for adults & € 9.00 for children). One word of caution - although I don't know Ischgl's casualty record, tobogganning has a much worse safety record than skiing, and the ski runs from Idalp to the village are relatively steep and through trees with steep drops off the edge in places. We were once in a hotel (eleswhere) where one of the other guests ended up in intensive care with a fractured skull from tobogganning, and I believe that a lot of travel policies won't cover you for it unless you've paid a dangerous sports premium.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mmmmmmmmmm makes you think dosen't it....not sure it's worth it with 3 kids!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The tobogggan run at Ischgl was brilliant fun. Just get a pass at the silvrettabahn including sledge hire, collect the sledge at the top and off you go! If you are timid/have small kids you could control your speed, but let go and it is fast and fun - including almost inevitable crashes - wear helmets and low-vis goggles!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy