Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V by train?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
(Title edited)

Hi snowHead s

I am considering 3 Valleys for next winter and wondering whehter I should try Eurostar this time as opposed to flying to Geneva. The train has the obvious advantage of fewer restrictions on baggage and short transfer to the resort. Sounds good but then I read a thread today in The Piste section where some of you say will never go by train again... So what do you guys think? What's your experience has been with Eurostar? Advantages, disadvantages?
Also, does the train get delayed (say, by bad weather/snowfalls etc near the destination)?

I am thinking Eurostar morning departure all the way to Moutiers/BSM, not the overnight one.

Grateful for any thoughts you could share.

Turns

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-05-08 17:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have done Eurostar 2x now and really enjoy it. Easy access for us to London and the relaxing nature of the day out mean it wins hands down over flying or driving. First time did day time direct waterloo to BSM, 20 min transfer to Montchavin (part of La Plagne), this year did 2 day stop over in Paris before getting TGV to BSM again for transfer to Les Arcs. I guess you want to check how quick the transfer will be to the 3V resort you chose but IMO the train is great. I've never been delayed and I would suspect it's rare for there to be a major problem - the french seem to cope better with leaves on the line nad the wrong type of snow.

BTW - the post is really hard to read as it automatically links to the Eurostar website - maybe the title needs to be edited?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eurostar can get delayed..but not as frequently as flying. Be prepared to carry your luggage much further (compared to flying) - skis particularly are a pain. Remeber you can go to Paris and then take a TGV - gives you a bit more flexibilty on times. _ But don't tell every one 'cos they'll all want to do it...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your responses so far,

Smwbounce, I noticed that about the link too... Why would that happen on an internet forum like ours? Anyway, will attempt to change the title now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use the train quite a bit and you will have to work pretty hard to beat some of the prices of a plane last year, but I think they may narrow this year...due to fuel etc.

I normally used Eu0star into Paris, cross town and then TGV down to the alpes.... The nearest train station would be Moutier from where you can get a coach up your chosen valley.

I normally carry a 80ltr trolley bag and no skis..and this is my best approach as you can jump into cabs or use the RER easily and more importantly, quickly. If you are loaded up with kit, you might want to allow 90 mins for any crossing of Paris... otherwise an hour should ok. You can't hang around on that timetable though. The actually travel time in a cab or on the train might only amount to 15mins... it is the rest of it, like finding your way around and waiting that adds on the minutes.

You can often upgrade to 1st with no huge penalty but you might have to sacrifice flexibilty and stick to your travel times. The 1st class upgrade is worth it as you get fed quite well on Eur0star. Expect to do well if you have got below £150 return for the 4 train journeys from London, but it might be cheaper if you keep an eye out for the limited discounts they allow by spotting them early...

I normally don't travel out on the weekends so I use 4 trains.. I am not sure what any direct service from London is like...or even if avialable
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you so much for your responses. Very Happy Going to check details and costs now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy