Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski storage

Poster: A snowHead
Now the season is ending, I'm looking for new ways to store my skis for the Summer.

How does everyone store their skis? Am contemplating some wall-hanging ski racks of some sort - does anyone have experience with this or similar systems?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I keep mine in the house laid flat in my storage cupboard which runs under the stair unit with the hoover, ironing board etc! I heard somewhere that they must be kept flat so they don't warp and also try and keep them in the house if you can instead of in the garage outside where they can get damp and the edges rust. Could you lie them flat in your loft? That would be alright wouldn't it?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know if I am doing right here, but I always apply a generous layer of regular base wax (not the storage stuff) Then when I get them out for there next outing which is usually new year, I simply run the iron over the bases to melt the wax again, let the wax set set then scrape off as usual.

By doing this the bases do not dry up and the edges have been covered in wax so they too are protected.

It works for me
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Season, ending? Indoor snow? rolling eyes Laughing
I hammer mine too with hot wax too, though I visit indoor slopes to keep the fix.

I've been told to unwind the binding springs. Anyone agree??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnDUB wrote:
I hammer mine too with hot wax too, though I visit indoor slopes to keep the fix.

If going to xscape satisfies your fix, then go for it. Razz
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

By doing this the bases do not dry up and the edges have been covered in wax so they too are protected.

Oh yes....forgot to mention that, I thought the good layer of wax over the skis completely covering the edges as well for storage was a given anyway.....I always keep mine in the house instead of in the garage despite me leaving the wax on them to stop the base drying out and to protect the edges from rusting....got room for them in here and they're :sH:still out of sight not making the place look untidy so it suits the purpose.

Wherever you decide to store them make sure they are flat. Being stood on their tails overnight like in a ski/boot room is ok but months and months on end being stood on their tails can make them warp a bit so someone told me once. I can't remember who it was though.... snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnDUB wrote:
......I've been told to unwind the binding springs. Anyone agree??

No required on modern bindings & not one manufacturer recommends it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stood on their ends is fine, but with the skis apart so they can rest with their camber in a natural curve. Do not keep them clamped together with either the brakes or with those velcro strap thingies as this could eventually cause the camber to be lost.

Best place is indoors somewhere, as garages and lofts tend to have much wider swings in temperature and humidity.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stand mine up in their bag but rotate it every month or so. If the skis are contantly in different positions then warping seems unlikely.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a thought every ski shop I have ever been in stands the skis on there tails. They may have been there since last season, but no one would give this a second thought rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would have serious reservations about buying a ski that would warp enough to be noticeable* over the summer.

*I suspect an infinitesimally small amount of warp is to be expected in virtually any mass-produced material - glass being famous for it, but you don't lie your windows down... Confused
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, hmmm you could be right there...you are right about the shops storing them in that way anyway.

I can't remember who is was that told me they're best kept flat, or where I read it. I think though, if its possible to lay them flat indoors rather standing them on their ends, then laying flat has got to be better hasn't it and then there is no worry then either way, lying flat placed on the floor as if you were just about to step into them means no pressure on any of the ski, unlike storing them on their ends would create a pressure. Keeping mine where I do I wouldn't be able to stand them up anyway so lying flat is best.

Oh well, suppose it depends on if you've got room to lie em flat or not. We'll never know if it does anything to them or not. Ski shops haven't got the room to do anything but stand them up and most of the time they are picked up and put down again rather than being stood for months on end.

Each to their own and all that. The most important thing is though is to make sure they're waxed lots and kept somewhere ambient which isn't damp. Check this out

http://www.adventuresportsonline.com/skiequip.htm (scroll down to nearly the bottom though)

http://skiing.about.com/od/skis/qt/storeskis.htm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5,

I personally place mine (3 pairs and a snowboard family of 4 ) in my double glazed, cavity wall insulated garage. They hang upside down suspended in the Thule roof rack ski carrier, which in turn is suspended from the roof timbers. This way I can also store the boots upside down in there respective bindings.

Bl00dy hell I don't think I will be able to sleep all summer, the weight of the boots suspended from the skis may cause an extreme camber and knacker the skis up. But then again as my next ski flight is with BA they will probably get lost anyway Razz Razz

Seriously though I have stored them like this for years and have never had any problems wink wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I find that I have paid 650€ for a pair of skis which fall to bits just because I have left them in the loft for six months I will not be pleased.

It's summer, everyone - stop obesessing about your stuff and get out in the sunshine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kel, very good. We're not talking extreme camber here, but come to mention airlines and the skis probably get more abuse in transit these days anyway, as well as being lost! rolling eyes

skibomb's original post was to ask how everyone stores their skis. skibomb has the answers now! Everyone is different aren't they as we have found with pretty much everything else.

Like I have said-I don't know who is was that said to keep them flat, perhaps they are wrong! I am just repeating advice someone else gave me, that's all, trying to be helpful snowHead I've got the room anyway so I'll just stick with what I've been doing, no problems with it so far anyway, it obviously doesn't really matter how the skis are stored if noone has any problems one way or another!

Have a nice summer everyone.
ski holidays
jmdohanlon wrote:
Stood on their ends is fine, but with the skis apart so they can rest with their camber in a natural curve. Do not keep them clamped together with either the brakes or with those velcro strap thingies as this could eventually cause the camber to be lost.

Best place is indoors somewhere, as garages and lofts tend to have much wider swings in temperature and humidity.

I store mine standing on their tails against my office wall in full view - as an effort to keep me sane until next winter. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Kel wrote:
johnDUB wrote:

If going to xscape satisfies your fix, then go for it. Razz

Better than nowt
snow report
jmdohanlon wrote:

I use 2 straps, where the skis touch eachother first, so no stress on the natural shape of the skis.
Unfortunately not really possible to keep them indoors, unless I decide to use them for decoration Wink
ski holidays
Waxed, but not scraped, straped together tip and tail then a 45mm block of wood between them at the boot centre mark, then stored in a ski bag stood on their tails in the basement. Done it this way for 30+ years without problems.
snow report
Dypcdiver, now is that a block of hardwood or softwood wink
snow conditions
Mmm. Lots of suggestions...Thx. My garage might be too humid and fluctuate in temperature too much, and cupboard gets really warm in summer, so it might have to be under the bed again. I need a bigger bed snowHead
ski holidays
I doubt it matters much, but I keep mine on their tails but not clamped together. If you store them flat their own weight tends to flatten out the camber, but I doubt this would be a permanent effect. Never tried it long enough to find out. Waxing is important if you're going to store them in the garage or anywhere where rust is likely to form. I usually re-tune the edges, hot wax (no scrape) and leave it at that. I don't touch the binding settings but store them in the closed position.
snow report
What I would really like to do is store them in the Savoie, with a valet service to deliver them to me at either the airport or resort for each trip I make, at a cost less than the airline handling fee, with a service cost lower than in the resort. Strikes me there is a business opportunity here.. any thoughts? Puzzled
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Dypcdiver, now is that a block of hardwood or softwood wink

Now I was told use a tennis ball but I've always found that too big so I use a squash ball instead, buggered if I know if thats right or wrong Puzzled
snow report
I just leave mine wherever they've been dumped and take one pair out a few times a week for dry slope use and the other out whenever the heat gets too much for me and I head to Tamworth Toofy Grin

I'm sure someone will tell me that's wrong though Wink

(Actually I do separate the less used pair and stand them up against a wall indoors, usually with wax on so I'm not as naughty as all that Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
Mine will end up under my bed loosely next to each other in an opened ski bag - I'm sure that will do.
ski holidays
Mine got the same treatment as Megamum's last year. Given that they were totally fine this winter, the same is going to happen again.
latest report
Mine are fixed above the fire in the lounge. I find putting them in a cross shape most effective.

Also handy for drunken jousting on an evening.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, should the bindings be open or closed as in having the boot inserted? Does it matter? I store ours in the top box as they would be in transit. I don't think they fit if the bindings are open.
ski holidays
Cannot believe some people take this so serious. Think of your skis as women, "Treat em Mean to keep em Keen" Laughing Laughing
snow report
Martin Nicholas wrote:
What I would really like to do is store them in the Savoie, with a valet service to deliver them to me at either the airport or resort for each trip I make, at a cost less than the airline handling fee, with a service cost lower than in the resort. Strikes me there is a business opportunity here.. any thoughts? Puzzled

i'd had a thought along these lines (and you would be able to get the skis serviced between uses too) but couldn't work out how to make it work economically
latest report
elj221c, just leave them open.
snow report
Martin Nicholas, Arno, If you want to set something up I'd be happy to do the servicing/drop off & pick up. I'd even move out there if the pay was right wink
snow report
Surprised to see you write that spyderjon, all the manufacturer advice I've ever read says store bindings closed (without boots in) and/or turn down the DIN. My gear isn't that old and it clearly says that in the little leaflet. When did this all change? Confused

I store my skis horizontally, upside down, spanning a gap between two bits of timber in the roof. Upside-down becoz I figured gravity would help maintain the camber. They are also up out of the way there.
latest report
the ice perv wrote:
Surprised to see you write that spyderjon, all the manufacturer advice I've ever read says store bindings closed (without boots in) and/or turn down the DIN. My gear isn't that old and it clearly says that in the little leaflet. When did this all change?.

Whilst it was recommend by some in the past I've done the Sallie, Rossi/Look, Tyrolia & Vist tech courses (all in the last 2 yrs) & I've had 'secondhand' training on Atomic bindings. I specifically asked these questions to each manufacturer & not one of them recommended either course of action & AFAIK it's also not stated in any of their current instruction leaflets. The general concensus is that the modern designs & materials mean that the springs do not take a 'set', like they might of in the past. My own extensive release testing supports this.

I've also asked the same question of Marker last summer & received the same reply from the factory. However some but not all of their binding's leaflets do say to keep them closed, even though they share the same heel piece design Puzzled . Interestingly the new Marker Duke's instructions say's to keep them closed even though the heel piece design is a total Rossi/Look Axial design copy (& why not as it's a good 'un) but Rossi/Look state no such requirement. Furthermore the instructions that come with Marker's top-end race binding that goes up to 30 DIN doesn't say to close the binding for storage - & if it was important to do then it would be more applicable to that model than any other.

A feature of the Duke's design is the open DIN spring design on the heel piece so it's very easy to see the difference in the spring tension from open to closed, of which there's very little change. You'd be surprised at how much tension there is in a binding's DIN springs even when fully slackened off so reducing the tension by closing &/or slackening off doesn't make as big a difference as you'd think.

Of waaaay greater importance to the function of the binding than it's method of storage is the condition of the user's boot lugs, the toe height adjustment & the forward pressure adjustment. I'd say in about 50% of the binding/boot combo's I come across that at least one or more of these elements needs attention. In many binding instruction leaflets these elements aren't even mentioned with the user just being told to get them checked annually which of course they don't rolling eyes
ski holidays
Well, you learn something new every day! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
spyderjon, Cheers for that... snowHead
ski holidays
So together on their sides under my bed collecting dust isn't the best then? Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy