Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave/Les Deux Alpes Sun 4th May

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This morning Lizzard, Mr. Lizzard and myself drove over to La Grave. Very Happy We got there not too early and were sort of told off by a guy at the bottom for being late when it was so warm. It was a super, hot sunny day with views like this

Anyway we went straight off to the Vallons to ski/board down to P2 and here are the Lizzards putting on their gear, ready for the off:

On the way down I managed to snap Lizzard taking a wee rest and view appreciation

and this is the view looking down the vallons further than we were going. It was (just) possible to ski to P1 or very close to it, but we didn't bother.

the snow was still almost crispy at the very top, and then became soft after a couple of hundred meters. It was never bad and I've skied LG in much deeper slush than today, but the more skied bits were really nice. We then got the lift back up again and had a coffee and a bite at the Haut Desus at 3,200m. This is the view of the top of their glacier!
showing the seracs we'll come to in a minute.

After the break we went up the glacier lift and traversed across high up on the left to ski between the two big seracs. There was still some powder in the constantly shaded steeper slopes, and we had a minor fright when a snowboarder appeared at great speed from a very steep gully to our right.
Anyway, we found this huge crevasse, but didn't dare get any closer than this. You couldn't even begin to see the extent of it, even in real life. Shocked . A bit further down we got up close and personal with the left of the two beg seracs you can see in the long shot.

When we went back up the poma we spotted this guy climbing up where the snowboarder had come from I took a photo but he's too far away to be worth posting it Laughing

Meanwhile, here's Mr Lizzard strutting his stuff! Cool

After a quick whizz down the piste, oh and by the way there was a guy training speed skiing just to the side of the regular piste. Shocked Shocked
we started off towards the summit of the Lauze and LDA side. here are Mr & Mrs right at the summit:

We had a totally fab descent to LDA - here are our tracks at the bottom of the Puy Salie
where the snow was truly wonderful.

On the way down we had mostly nice deepish soft spring snow, but there were sticky areas which weren't quite so nice. Some beastly person had driven a piste machine up the Route du Thuit and messed it up, which slowed us down a lot. There were a number of large avalanches into the blue part of the Thuit, huge lumps!

So, on to the Valentin which they'd unfortunately messed up. The snow was nice, but there were big lumps and death cookies all over the top bit. I have to admit that I was getting pretty tired by then, although my knee held up pretty well. Final pick is looking back up where we ran out of snow at about 1800m. Note the crocusses (croci?) which are coming out all over the place.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, Looks like the 3 of you had a fantastic day, is that it now for this winter? Your knee and Mr Lizzard's shoulder must be on the mend too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, So pleased you had a day in LG, loved the pics. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, Going green Going green Going green on all except the crevasse Shocked Shocked

What's a death cookie?

Crocuses rather than croci.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vetski, death cookie = ice snowballs on the piste.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, lovely account and pics, glad you enjoyed yourself. Two questions: is Mr Lizzard fully recovered from his injury and will Lizzard post some photos of you as well? - looks like she had a camera in her hands at one point!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, Always a nice day in this beautiful mountains, LG with sun always is worth to ski it. And ski the vallons in good spring snow so nice...

You have one week more....enjoy it..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quite possibly the best day of the season, not least because we would never have done it on our own and took a bit of persuading in the first place, neither of us having much (any) real off-piste experience. La Grave was stunning as ever, particularly the chance to peer down a serious crevasse and get a good close look at the seracs. Skiing back down through a completely deserted 2Alpes in pristine snow was amazing - eerie in contrast with the noise and bustle of the season.

Hurtle, I managed to take a total of two pictures, despite actually having remembered the camera for a change, and I now find that they have both disappeared because the battery ran out. Evil or Very Mad Evey time I go out I resolve to take more photos, and every time I fail to do it. Rubbish.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, digital photos shouldn't disappear when the batteries run out, at least not if there's a memory card in the camera. Have you tried plugging the camera into a PC and looking it at it through the Removable Storage drive under My Computer?
(or possibly Scanners and Cameras drive, it depends on how was everything was set up. I'm assuming use of Windows here, most likely XP or the one before - 03, I think)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vetski, that's how I always do it. Rather than their having actually disappeared, I suspect the camera didn't actually take them in the first place.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, what a pain. Technology makes our lives easier, yeah right!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks a like a very nice day. Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All sounds and looks wonderful! Glad you all had a fab day and that all the injuries held out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Lizzard, Smile Smile Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy