Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early Bird Specials or Late Deals?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been having a bit of a look around at some ski trip possibilities over this last couple of days for next season and there are some good deals to be had on the "Early Bird Specials" so it appears.

Only thing is I don't know how much of a difference it makes if you wait and then book something as a late deal? If you see something just right in a really good location in the resort you wanted to go to is it best to get on and book it or are there always good location hotels in the late deals as well usually? I've never booked anything as a late deal before so I don't know what sorts of accomodation/bargains you can get?

Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Remember nothing is guranteed with a late deal. If you've got something/somewhere you particularly want to do then book it early. Otherwise, unless you're particularly picky, then you can get some decent deals with late bargains. However, there weren't many really good deals to be had this year owing to the large amount of snow at the start of the season (everyone got interested so the prices went up, along with exchange rate fiasco).

Late deals seem to be really good if you like SC or Chalet holidays, or you like Val Cenis... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon, ah thanks for that. Yes I can see what you mean, there didn't seem to be huge savings when I had a quick look at the late deals earlier on in April, the very month where you would expect to see good deals considering Easter was in March this year. I would also be after a single ensuite room for myself and the places I've looked at only seem to have a few of them available at the most, so that's what's tempting me to book now.

I've seen a couple of holidays with £140 off the price if you book early, by May 5th. Good thing is though you only have to pay £40 or something to book it which aint bad at all.

By the way, is the whole of Feb next year pretty much either half term holidays in the UK, or French half term holidays pretty much every week in Feb depending on the area of France taking the holiday at the time?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately, it always is... Sad

I've done a few single ski trips. It can be very awkward getting a late deal for one person, and if you can't find a suitable one, the supplements definitely negate any saving you might have made.

Unless you really are penny pinching, with a £140 discount, I'd personally book it now. Have it done with, know where you're going and put your feet up.

T'other downside of booking early - you've no idea where the snow is. Although if it's a dodgy season, what there is will likely be in one of a finite number of resorts anyway. Pros and cons. Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skisimon, you mean where you have gone entirely on your own, or you have booked on your wown and met up with people in resort or something?

Nah, not penny pinching at all, I'm not too concerned about the price of it (within reason of course) as long as it represents good value to me and its nice and comfortable with own loo, bath/shower and a warm comfy bed in the location I'm after. I've not long come back from Val D'Isere and the accomodation was rubbish I thought for the money, very tatty and although the bus service there was really excellent I'm going for location next time where I can just click my skis on and go! I've picked resorts where it is highly likely they won't have trouble with snow cover, or there is access to other places quite easily that should be alright, of course though you can never tell though can you.....

I suppose my main worry about booking early is just in case I miss out on something I could have gone on instead! You may be able to answer this for me....this may help me with my booking woes.....apart from the SBB proposed in hopefully Austria which seems like its going to be 31st Jan-7th Feb, what date is the MSB and EoSB usually? Is it likely to be same weeks as this year but moved to the corresponding Saturday? I.e 7th-14th March for MSB since it was 8th-15th this year, and 18th-25th April for EoSB since it was 19th-26th this year?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A couple of my trips were entirely on my own, usually staying in a chalet for the atmosphere of everyone eating together etc. I have usually ended up meeting people. My last two solo trips were DIY though.

I'd probably go with one of the deals you can get now given what you've said - you can never be too sure of what sort of accommodation will be left for late bargains, although it's rarely the good value, clean and comfortable mid-range hotels... It seems to be one extreme or the other, or more often SC appartments and chalets.

MSB was a week earlier this year (possibly something to do with Easter), so not sure about that one. EoSB should be the week you suggest given past dates (but don't hold me to it Little Angel ).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, the chalet idea is what I'm looking at as well for precisely that reason as addition to it being in a good location, I'd rather get on and sort my own ski trips out for myself then if anybody I know wants to tag along then they can and perhaps get some accomodation nearby if they can't get in the same chalet/hotel as me at the time. You can end up waiting until the cows come home if you wait for friends and stuff to make their mind up/book the time off work etc etc! Or they haven't got the money to go or something like that.

EoSB shouldn't be a problem as I've got no clashes with that, its the MSB which might pose a problem depending on when it is, I see it was 17th-24th March in 2007, so assuming the same logic considering Easter is back to April next year. I haven't been to any bashes so far so I don't want to rule any out for next season in case I fancy going to any of them. Am definitely up for the SBB Austria week if it goes ahead, as long as it is the week 31st January-7th Feb!

Thanks very much for your info.

Emma snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last year I booked a late deal three days before going, I was promised a specific hotel and on arrival surprise got put in a s**t tip. I kicked off and got moved. This year tried to book for a full week but could not get anywhere for a single so this year I have already booked two trips so as not to miss out. There seems to be a trend in the travel industry as a whole that there are not the late deals that there used to be only a couple of years ago, and those that there are tend not to be much cheaper and with less choice than if you had booked early.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would say book now, and have it sorted. When we went to Whistler last ( 2007 ) we booked 12 months in advance. got the room we wanted in the chalet we wanted, and paid less for our two weeks than some people paid for 10 days last minute Shocked Well worth doing IMV Toofy Grin
As JP, says there isnt the deals around as there used to be, as TO are getting wise to having surplus holidays unsold.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There may also be a snowheads trip in January to Austria so keep an eye out for that one too
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There may also be a snowheads trip in January to Austria so keep an eye out for that one too
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, If you book late (and it's a high season week you want) you may not get the location or quality of accommodation you want. But it might be cheaper.

Not always though. For example, if you want to stay in anywhere Chamonix over New Year for example, you'll be struggling to book much later than October. And as for the person who described themselves as "desperate" to find accommodation on December 30th...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK thanks guys, yes I think I will just get on and book this other trip and not worry about it! I had already sorted out the one trip to Austria next year (St Anton) and then a couple of days later found out about the possibility of the SBB to Austria as well but it doesn't matter because I knew this Austria trip would be really popular from experience and I'd have a job to get a double room with ensuite for the price I got if I'd left it.....Hopefully the SBB will be to Ischgl as it appears to be a popular choice and then I can justify to myself to go on both with it being a different resort and all that! Very Happy

Thing is, like you say I might as well book it if its what I want in a good location and then its done...or I will end up going round in circles on this laptop these next few months and the deal I originally found will have gone by then!

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy