Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

but do you get any extra days of skiing that way

We went out daytime Sat and returned daytime Sunday. Had the treat of watching groups of chamois in the hill above Moutiers station whilst waiting for the train to arrive. The train was very civilised, cheaper than peak season air fares, and we enjoyed the company of the same people in both directions.
In the resort they were happy to give us an extra night in our apartment at a reasonable cost. (Les Menuires is happy for anything it can get!), bus to and from the resort €45 return per adult.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I may be wrong, but I suspect that those that do return trips for £60 per head have a coach load of passengers to do the return journey with (having done an overnight in resort). To keep a coach in resort for a week isn't cheap, and to send it back empty to the UK for 6 days is even more costly. However, it's probably worth looking into.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wot Kramer and Frosty said. In addition it wasn't others' snoring that kept me awake, it was them waking me up because of mine Embarassed Laughing

Eurostar is nice and comfortable, overnight couchette is hot, cramped, uncomfortable and the longest night i have spent for many a year. I'd rather drive with an overnight stop, or fly, either of which will be more convenient, comfortable and cheaper.

Of course on the EOSB trip Frosty, Jerry and I had the added fun of a race across Paris in a taxi driven by Alain Prost to meet the train at 10:26 when BMI Baby flight delays meant we didn't get our luggage off the Carousel at CDG until 10:05.

That we actually made it and caught the train is a testimony to the Taxi drivers skill, determination, and ability to overtake in rush hour traffic while flashing his lights and giving the finger to anyone who didn't dodge quick enough Shocked snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Axsman, certain memories I will cherish forever. I am glad I did it, if only for our trip taxi ride with Henri Paul.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, snowHead ditto snowHead Lucky we never saw any white Fiats Shocked Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:

Quote:

Elizabeth B, That does depend on the coach. I've travelled on Ski Olympic's overnighter double decker and had a superb and quiet night's sleep on the recliner. There are lots of options to look at for next season . . . though I may not be part of it . . . but I'll still be on snow yay!

Ski Olympic! Thats it-that was the company the chap in Val D said he had travelled by coach with I think. The chap I mentioned in my earlier post who loves coach travel to the Alps because it gets him an extra 2 days of skiing and is cheaper than training it he said.

pam w, you may have a point there. I would have a look at coach options for next years EoSB as long as I had somewhere secure and cheapish to leave my car for a week near to where the coach departed from. Either way it looks as if flying or driving would be cheaper than taking the train.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
By the way, could someone enlighten me what a coach journey to the Alps is like timetable wise?

[b]Masque[b/] perhaps you might be the ideal person to answer me if you've been with Ski Olympic before....i.e what time did you set off from the UK, what time did you get to resort, what time did you leave resort for the way back and how much roughly was the cost?

Although many years ago, I went on a school ski trip to Austria (St Johann im Tyrol to be precise) and of course we went by coach. I do remember thinking "I'm not going by coach again!" although does it take a damnsight longer to go to Austria by coach than it would to get to Val Thorens?

Have to say I do like the idea of just one journey to contend with that takes you right to the door. Are coaches luxurious these days?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, it probably doesn't take that much longer to Austria than Val T. At a guess, you'd be looking at allowing 14 hrs from Calais to Val T.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found this thread very insightful and have posted an article on my blog featuring some of your comments.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gerard McNeely, I bet you are now rather confused.
I am a train fan, and go by train every year to the French and Swiss alps.
There are three ways of going by train to the French Alps.
The Rail Europe Snow Train. Convenient, 2nd class couchette, from £229
The Eurostar Ski Train. Even more convenient, day train good, night train purgatory, from £179.
And Do-it-Yourself. A bit of an adventure, the way I go, day train from £95 return, night train from £115 return (2nd class couchette)

I always pay a bit more and go 1st class couchette (4 berth).

And Frosty the Snowman, you surprise me: I thought you Northerners were tough. Shower? Wimp you are. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, The Hereford train goes along my local line. It is the London Paddington to Hereford and Worcester line that goes through such places as Charlbury, Evesham and Moreton in the Marsh.

There is no need to go to Newport. It is a relatively quick train aswell.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VolklAttivaS5, It is 878 Km Calais to VT, 1094 Km Calais to St Johann im Tyrol. So an extra hour to 90 minutes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, I travelled to Vallandry on the coach you mention, we left Maidstone at around 19:00 and arrived around 09:00. The end destination changes but if you are going somewhere not the same as the majority of the other travellers then you are shuttled to the resort by minibus.

For the record, I used to enjoy the train journey to France but only Eurostar to Paris, Sleeper to Bourg/Moutiers and transfer up. Preferably with a two hour stop at Austerlitz to eat and drink well ensuring a good night's sleep (wine not beer of course so stumbling out of bed ceases to be an issue!) I never found a lack of luggage space to be an issue even with a set of skis each, but then I know how to pack an elephant into a shoebox! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, Sorry also ought to have mentioned cost and return times:

Cost is minus £50 off brochure price

Return times are usually around 19:00 Sunday evening depart, arrival depends on where you get off naturally.

Meals are available on the coach of a basic microwaved variety and it makes regualar stops due to driver rest regulations - that said I slept through many of them!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For the travelling with ski luggage between Paris Gare du Nord and Gare d'Austerlitz for the SNCF night train, would the metro or a taxi be easier?

Thanks in advance

BrightonSki
snow conditions
I took the Ski Olympic coach some years ago. It was a 2 storey one with microwave food, loos and tv. As much as I like Gavin, I vowed never to use a coach again.

Lakeside to La Plane was 23 hours and it felt more like a week. It was late picking us up as someone was late getting to another pick up point. It stopped at Farthing Corner services even though Dover was only 30 minutes away. We were in Calais over 5 hours after leaving Lakeside - about the total time required to fly and transfer. It made countless stops in France and just seemed to take a lifetime to get there. I hated it so much that I did not enjoy the last few days skiing as I knew the coach beckonned.

Some people may suit coach travel, I am not one of them. I have learned my lesson.

Just booked flighs and transfers STN to La Plagne in Feb for £76 each so not cost saving either.
latest report
BrightonSki, I guess it depends how much gear you're taking. I've taken the metro in the past, but didn't have skis and it was pretty fuss free. That said, if you do have skis, I wonder if getting a cab is all that practical, unless it's an MPV.
snow report
Quote:

It is 878 Km Calais to VT, 1094 Km Calais to St Johann im Tyrol. So an extra hour to 90 minutes.

Shocked
ski holidays
Pam spotted it!

PMSL 216km in an hour? That will be some coach ride Twisted Evil

Got to be at least 4 hours, or 6 with a couple of driver stops and a bit of Alpine road thrown in.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
Pam spotted it!

PMSL 216km in an hour? That will be some coach ride Twisted Evil

Got to be at least 4 hours, or 6 with a couple of driver stops and a bit of Alpine road thrown in.

It won't be anything like that, because the extra will be on the approach roads, so motorway/trunk road.

But I admit, I wasn't registering properly that it was as much as 216 Km, for some reason I was thinking in terms of just over 100 KM.

So I would say 2-3 extra hours.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy