Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Borrow 1:25,000 Cairngorm map?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have a 1:25,000 map of Cairngorm I can borrow for a week at the end of May? I need it for a course I'm doing but would prefer not to buy one as I won't need to use it again. Ta muchly Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a couple. Send me your address and I'll post you one via the remarkable free mail service the work offers Madeye-Smiley I'm moving to London in the next couple of months; I can pick it up off you later in the year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Barclay, thanks. I've just sent you a Private Message with my home address.

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, you've probably thought of this already but I prefer the 1:50 000 for areas like the Cairngorms, I find the 1:25 000 goes into too much detail. Also in (rare!) good vis it means I have the distant peaks on the same fold to make nav very easy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Is this for CT ? I'm pretty sure you can borrow a map from Glenmore when you get there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, I don't know about Cairngorm maps but the 1:25,000 Nevis one is good (I scanned a bit of it for my TR)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, yes it is for Common Theory. It's on the list of requirements for the course but I thought it would be better for me to borrow one rather than buy a copy just for one day's use.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball, I guess it's whatever works for you, strangely I use the 1:50 000 for Nevis too but the 1:25 000 in Snowdonia. I have a 1:40 000 for the Lakes but that's only because it gets the whole area on one sheet. When I did a winter mountaineering course a couple of years ago our guide had cut up his map into sections then laminated them, that way he only had a small bit of paper to contend with in bad weather.

rob@rar, top tip, know your pacing for 100m on various types of ground. It gives you a lot of confidence on micro-nav in zero visibility.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly wrote:
rob@rar, top tip, know your pacing for 100m on various types of ground. It gives you a lot of confidence on micro-nav in zero visibility.

I'm hoping it is nothing more taxing than navigating around the car park. My sense of direction is notoriously poor (as anyone who skied with me in VT last week will testify).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, I believe Cairngorm's up north somewhere.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Why don't you try your local lending library. I got a couple of maps of the Nevis area for a walk up there last year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I generally take 1:25000 and 1:50000 where possible. I have Memory-Map for the computer, which means I can print out the section that I want and then laminate it. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, completely depends on the weather, but the plateau is not somewhere to be lost in bad weather.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, The micro-nav we did was just in Glenmore forest, not on the 'Gorm Crying or Very sad If you have a mountain bike - it's well worth taking !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, I prefer 1:50,000 too - probably because that was what I brought up with in my hillwalking. PS - the 'micro-nav' in which I was assessed for my services qualification was going from one pond to another on Ranoch Mor - and I think I used 1:50.000 for that.
ski holidays
Barclay, I just got on the same course as rob and if you have another spare map to loan i would be very most grateful...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy