Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Puzzled by DIN settings

Poster: A snowHead
There is a lot of whoo haaa on here about the necessity of getting DIN settings correct to prevent leg injuries - one of our EoSB injuries has there's set on the same as me - 5, yet look at the descrepancy in our stats:

Our injury = height and weight 5' 7.5" and 10 st 4 lbs. 5 weeks skiing under their belt - has apparently always had DIN set to 5 for all her skiing

Me 5'9" (not so different), 14st+ Embarassed . 4 weeks skiing under belt, shop has set my ski bindings to 5 due to relative inexperience - I go 6 directly to the chart.

So there we are on identical skis (both model and length) approx. the same height, approx the same age, but with me nearly 4st different, on the same binding setting of 5. Something doesn't seem right and our injury says that the hospital tells her that the injury was caused because the skis didn't release when the crash happened.

Then there is me, I skied the whole week and mine released just once when I crashed hard which seems about right.

Would the experts on here agree both our binding settings are correct - could a proportion of extra ability (they have skied a bit more than I have and could be a more competant skier) make up for a 4st shift in weight?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, What boot sole lengths for the two of you ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, Oh, OK thought we had enough info - I'll have to PM and find out - will be back once I have an answer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is all about the amount of leverage applied through te leg before it releases. Which is why the sole length makes a difference.

It isn;t so much experience that tey are catering for when reducing your bindings, but ,more skiing style. If you are a fairly nervous skier, which I suspect from some of your postings does aplpy to you, then you will tend to ski more slowly, and when crashing will create lower forces through the leg, but for a longer time. So you need the bindings setting lower, in order that they will release before the longer acting but lower pressure can damage your leg.

If they set the bindings as low for a more confident skier, who will usually be traveling faster, then there is too much risk of pre-release (i.e. coming out of them when skiing normally, thus causing a crash). It is always a compromise, and they just have to hope that the usually faster skier doesn't have a crash at a time when they are skiing slowly, because the biondings might not release in time then.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82360&page=2

Scroll down to bottom and there's a good collection or worthy downloads. I've got them and they are excellent.
There's Salomons official din settings for calculation. etc.
Mine have always been on a Din 7 and 8 for the lil ski's.

Try this too -

http://coffee.sdsc.edu/rcw/din_setting/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mine are always set to 4 and have never yet come off in any fall. I was told that despite the basic chart suggesting 6, 4 was appropriate for me with the setting adjusted due to age(Embarassed ) & inexperience/cautious style.

Interestingly this chart suggested by Johndub above gives a setting of 4 for me and 5 for MegaMum assuming a similar sole length (mine are 315mm) and both being in the novice category, though if MM is now in the "average" skier type category it would suggest a setting of 6.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, I suspect the potential 'flaw' in your correlation is the relationship between T's knee injury and Din setting despite what the hospital may have said.

I'm a little lighter than you .. a little taller ... boots are a 260 shell ( Atomic) ie small ; I probably ski a lot faster as of the last year ( others can comment ) and love short turns .. but both sets of skis are set at a Din 4.5/5 ( ostensibly due to knee history) . I suffered a knee injury in VT but it was a (stupid) very slow speed hockey stop fall and the binding didnt release.

My point being that the 'nature of the fall' could be responsible for the lack of release rather than the setting.

Incidentally I have never suffered from an 'early' or pre-release ( is it a misnomer ??) ... only time i've stepped out of my skis is skiing badly off-piste..... and dont intend changing my settings next season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I read somewhere (can't seem to find the report at the moment) that the biggest risk group for ACL injuries are middle-aged unfit novice females skiing in the backseat which puts a lot of load on the knee. It was even suggest that in some case that the ACL fails which causes the crash, not the other way around.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, sounds about right to me

there's a certain amout of science and a little bit of art to DIN settings. and they don't guarantee that they will come off when you want them to - the correct setting just increases the chance that they will. i ski on 9.5/10 so i am reasonably confident that they won't pop off unexpectedly when i am skiing fast but i am a bit paranoid about what might happen with a slow twisting fall. thankfully they don't happen too often for me!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, do you mean that skiing with the weight too far back puts strain on the knee ligaments irrespective of whether you fall? Also you mentioned me specifically "middle-aged (no, no, please no!!) unfit female novice" - what ought such a person do to improve fitness in a way that helps protect knees? I think I ski with the weight too far forward and am having trouble straightening up my stance because it feels unbalanced when I do - should I not be so concerned about this just yet? - is weight too far forward better than too far back?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly wrote:
I think I ski with the weight too far forward and am having trouble straightening up my stance because it feels unbalanced when I do - should I not be so concerned about this just yet? - is weight too far forward better than too far back?

From the little that I saw you ski I don't think you ski too far forward. You seem well centered on your skis, although looking further forward rather than at your skis should be something you focus on (if you excuse the pun).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
looking further forward rather than at your skis should be something you focus on (if you excuse the pun).

You're not the first to say that & I am trying to, honest!! Think the tendency came from the feeling that if I looked at the ski tips they wouldn't cross!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly wrote:
Think the tendency came from the feeling that if I looked at the ski tips they wouldn't cross!

Very often in skiing your instinct makes things harder than they need be. If you don't look where you are going you can't react to changes in the terrain and snow, making it more likely that things like crossed tips will happen. Your instinct might be to keep an eye on what those pesky skis are doing, but it will be much easier to manage them if you know what you're skiing through.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
easier to manage them if you know what you're skiing through.

indeed & I am now actually focusing on the snow ahead & not the skis themselves, but only a few metres ahead as yet.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
easier to manage them if you know what you're skiing through.

indeed & I am now actually focusing on the snow ahead & not the skis themselves, but only a few metres ahead as yet.

It will happen as your confidence builds. If I'm struggling I occasionally catch myself looking at my skis, so don't feel alone in your battle Smile
snow report
How many of us know what our fully kitted out weight is with heavy boots, backpacks, layers etc on. .. i know i sure dont...

Dumb question but do DIN settings assume "dripping wet" weight or "fully kitted out" weight?
ski holidays
My take on ACL injuries are when you get severely back seat to the point of ass contact, and you attempt to stand back up. POP goes the knee joint. I sit down, miles easier, and you get face shot Laughing
ski holidays
I had a very interesting (for me anyway Embarassed ) conversation with Gavin from Elan at the EOSB meal, on the subject of bindings and DIN settings.

Time is a critical element. Ski racers who may use setting as high as 18 Shocked can survive VERY hard falls without ACL damage because although the force applied is high, the binding releases quickly and the duration is very short. Low speed falls (of the kind I had coming off a chairlift some years ago) will tend to apply a lesser force but for a longer duration which may be insufficient to release the binding but sufficient to damage the ACL.

Gavin said he had seen (in prototype) electronic bindings which measure force and time actively and so can release before the damage is done but still 'hold' during a short sharp shock. Getting these to 'fail safe' is one reason why they have not been adopted, and another is market (and supplier) inertia.

Apologies to Gavin if I have misquoted him (the wine at that meal was quite good Madeye-Smiley ) anyone else seen these electronic bindings?
latest report
Slow twisting falls seem to be the killer to my mind, so it is a problem for lots of people. As you ski harder and faster and in more difficult stuff you have to weigh up not losing a ski against losing one and it can be a quandry.
Mine are about 9, but I dread the most a slow fall...caused typically by someone skiing under your ski on a very slow path and they can't ski slow enough or can't wait etc ......that will dump you on your back PDQ.. I almost throttled the t****t who did that to me.

So too fast..high din, too slow, low din... and all the other forces that come with it. I seem to remember this type of thread.... the chart is a guide, you should mostly know how you ski and at what speed you want the thing to come off. All difficult things when you haven't skied much.

I do a binding test..most for testing it works and gettng a feel of the force required...but it may be that peeps need to set them light and do an easy run...if they pre-release... which is just a term for them coming off when you don't want them to...then, they need to be tighter...but then we get into another can of worms.....do you feel confident messing around with bindings..!!!

It is difficult.
snow report
johnDUB wrote:
My take on ACL injuries are when you get severely back seat to the point of ass contact, and you attempt to stand back up. POP goes the knee joint.

i think standing back up from this position is OK so long as you do not twist the knee joint at all. your ACL is very vulnerable in this position and any twisting risks the dreaded POP.

as you say, if you find yourself in this position, best to take the fall. better still, don't get in the back seat!
snow report
johnDUB, according to that link i should be a 3 but i've always been told i was a 5.
ski holidays
Arno, I wonder whether girlies' knees are more prone to twisting due to their collateral ligaments usually being closer together than those of a guy of the same height.
ski holidays
taratibu2, That link reckons I should be on 2.5. I think I will leave mine on 11
latest report
Butterfly, Squats and lots of them should help strenghten up the legs

My binginds are currently set at 8.5 Im 5'10 and 90kgs (I promise its mostly muscle wink ) Bindings are set to release with certain types of falls so even if you fall they will not always release.

Point is that if they are set relativly low 3-5 for the average person they will release when nesecarry and as silly as this sounds people need ot learn how to fall! You see racers and pro skiers they go limp when they fall if there is no hope of recovering it. If there is a chance of recovery they will hit the deck and then get back up a la herminator in one of the races this year
snow report
rjs, after my injury, if i ski again i think i'll set mine to fly off at the thought of falling over Very Happy
snow report
T's boot length is 294mm, mine is 305mm if that helps - they don't sound much different to me
ski holidays
Megamum, The boot lengths are both in the same range on the chart (291mm-310mm).

Both of you end up with a different code for height and weight, the setting to use should be the lower of the two. For you the height code is the lower one and the Salomon chart gives you a DIN setting of 5.5, for T weight is lower and would give a setting of 4.5 but she is right on the borderline between the two ranges.
snow report
JT,
Quote:

Slow twisting falls seem to be the killer to my mind, so it is a problem for lots of people.

This is certainly my experience. The only time I've felt like my knee has been seriously strained in a fall was at a virtual standstill. I had just started side slipping a few metres down to a friend, went over the basket of my pole and fell like a total eejit. Embarassed My ski only popped off after my leg had twisted to a very uncomfortable position, tweaking my knee pretty horribly. At that point I was very glad I keep my bindings on a fairly low setting.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski on a 6 setting - 168cm, 72 kg (2 down since the bash Yippee!), sole 285, 7 years, fairly hard and fast on piste. The last time I checked the charts, they gave me an 8 - but I also have dodgy knees so I keep it on 6. I've never prereleased on that setting, but what I'd like to know is - if one is going to err on bindings, is too low always better than too high? Apart from pre-releasing, what other risks are there in keeping them low?
snow report
vetski, I ski on 5.5 and outmass you by over 30Kg. I've never have a pre-release (ooh er missus Shocked ) either.

IMHO I'd rather they were too low than too high as I'm not racing, and I value my aging knees. snowHead
ski holidays
vetski,

Not sure how others should look at it, but for me, it is a question of consequences. What happens if I fall here... do I want a ski barrelling down the slope and a major hassle retrieving it...if I can retrieve, what do I do on one ski ..etc etc.
For the majority of the time, I'll not want to lose a ski and when I stack, it will be a big one so the forces involved will rip the ski free. Most of the time you'll be looking to recover to a pre-release isn't helping here...

You have to get a feel for these things and work what suits you and your skiing. To my mind, it just isn't as easy as x+y=z.

But I have heard that people with dodgy knees tend to err on a weaker setting as protection of those knees is the over-riding factor.
But you can have a pre-release toss you into a face plant and you wreck your shoulder for example...when you would have gotten away with it had you stayed upright... Toughie....and your call really..
latest report
vetski, DIN 6 is the correct type I setting for you. You don't need type III settings just because you ski fast.
latest report
I'm sure it is all more black art than science. However, a relevant issue for women at least does seem to be hormones, they cause relaxation of certain bones in pregnancy, T and I have read and discussed together that the risks of knee injury can vary in the month for women due to hormones - is this risk real?
snow report
rjs, can you explain Types I & III, and any other types out there?

Also should I have my off piste skis on the same setting as my piste skis? My inclination is to turn them up a notch.
snow conditions
Megamum, yup, I've heard the same - that the release of a certain hormone during pregnancy, oxytocin I think, softens and relaxes connective tissues and ligaments. I don't think time of the month has an effect (apart from the possible risk of falling over if you're hit by a massive cramp!)
ski holidays
vetski, The skier types are described in the workshop manual at the TGR link johnDUB posted.
snow report
JT wrote:
Slow twisting falls seem to be the killer to my mind, so it is a problem for lots of people.

This is something that got me thinking after the sad reports of injuries during the EOSB...

If I ski slowly, like when teaching lower levels/beginners, or skiing with said folk on a non-teaching basis, should I be on lower settings then when skiing fast and hard?

Especially when teaching, concentration is shared a lot between own skiing and observing the guests, which will likely influence the chance to tumble in unfavourable ways... Yet it will be at low speed, which makes it likely there won't be enough force to whip off a ski at the higher settings normally associated with a higher level skier.
snow report
rjs, found 'em, ta. I'm II - III. As long as lower DINs don't increase my risk of injury, I'll stay on the Type I settings.

Am trying to download the 07/08 manual, and it's just not happening. Is one supposed to do something special to download from a web host?
ski holidays
Ronald, When you are teaching - I'd have thought you chances of a fall ought to be nearly zero...... I used to keep my plastic teaching skis at a lower DIN than my racing ones, until one day - after a lesson, another group had a course set up... I was invited to have a go, and as I'd just sharpened my edges, that's what I did...and as I tried to stomp the last gate out of the way......broken thumb.

So (IMV) changing DIN settings because of the group you have seems like a very risky procedure !
snow report
8.25 for me, but I usually ski on a 6 and the skis have never released unnecessarily. I know that hire shops are only allowed to set up to 6, but I'm happy to stick with what works.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy