Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sensory deprivation - is it good for your skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst on the recent holiday it was necessary to seriously use a pair of goggles and my contact lenses for the first time in earnest. Out of preference I ski in sunglasses on blue sky days, but in the misty, skiing inside a cloud conditions they steam up due to the single lense and probably aren't as good in flat light (which I now recognise for what it is) as my yellow goggles.

This is not a thread about helmets, but often an argument for not wearing a helmet is given as a possible loss of hearing sensation - a form of sensory deprevation.

I was surprised on putting on the goggles how much sensory deprevation these caused. Although I know dearer ones would be better in the department mine caused a considerable loss of periferal vision to the sides - I could only see forwards, like a horse in blinkers. I could also not easily look at the tips of my skis and the snow just in front of me as I normally do - one of my big faults - as it required me to move my whole head and therefore upset the balance.

However, for all their deficiets wearing them made me a better skier - I stopped relying on seeing my ski tips and just felt the skis under my feet and ultimately learned to trust them. I also started concentrating on where I was going rather than where I was now and the snow immediately under my feet. All this was, I think, very good for me and I just thought it interesting that sensory deprevation actually made me a better skier as it forced me to cure these inherent faults there and then.

Sorry, if these comments don't fit here, but they seemed to cross gear and BZK so I thought I would shove them here. Please feel free to discuss if you wish, I just found the whole experience quite interesting.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have never been aware of loss of periphery vision wearing goggles. I guess there is some - but I have not noticed it. My first thought is that you could do with goggles that cause you less periphery vision loss. Meantime, if you have stopped staring at your skis, that is a good thing. They usually look pretty much as they did when you stepped into them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles wrote:
I have never been aware of loss of periphery vision wearing goggles.

I have, that and the slight loss of hearing when wearing a helmet made me a bit nervous at first but I soon got used to it.
It was quite noticeable testing long skis last week that I could actually see the tips out of the bottom of my goggles Shocked not something I'm used to on my 165s. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What I didn't like about losing the periphery vision is you couldn't see skiers and other snow users coming up by the side of you - including in this statement everone from friends you were skiing with, to other snow users scything close enough to take you out if you hadn't realised they were there - you were forced to ski in a straight line. I even caught myself looking over a shoulder as I would when riding a bicycle before making a turn.

In fact I was quite surprised my what I found I had the confidence to do, looking over my shoulder, checking my wristwatch under my glove cuff for the time - raising and lowering goggles, searching for friends on the slopes. I don't know who gave me injection, but I'm glad someone did - I suspect that the snowHead collective were more than a little responsible - many thanks to you all
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think my hearing is 100% to start with (my mum and aunts suffer from hereditary deafness), and I also feel a bit isolated in goggles. A recent bad experience in nil visibility has not helped. I no longer look at my skis though, unless it is to admire them when I take them off at lunchtime Very Happy However I agree that the sensory deprivation improves your skiing. If I wasn't perfect I wouldn't have got down that piste in one piece, visibility was non-existant, and we couldn't even locate any if the piste markers, never mind left and right.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
If I wasn't perfect

Wish I was! Can you give me some tips? Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, if you don't like losing your preipheral vision you may wish to get another pair of goggles - I have the Adidas Yodai and I've never noticed a loss of vision http://www.vision3k.com/brands/adidas-ski-goggles/yodai-a133.asp . I wear them all the time now & never wear my sunglasses skiing.

They're not cheap but you can get them cheaper from the States.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think I lose any more peripheral vision with goggles than with glasses/sunnies, so I think you should try a few other pairs on in a shop and compare them.

Your thread title made me think of something we were discussing related to the weather conditions. When it was pole-to-pole visibility only we both noticed that we had less fear about tackling a steeper section of a slope than when it was lovely and clear and we could stand at the top and allow our panic department to take in the full extent of what we were about to ski. That taught me a lesson about thinking too much - if I take it turn by turn and not worry about how long the steeper bit is, I CAN do it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm with the others -- get some new goggles and like cathy, I never now wear sunglasses ...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't like wearing goggles, generally because the days that i would wear them I also need to wear my hood. The combination of the two make me claustrophobic. However I find that skiing in poor light condtions improves my skiing - not necessarily at the time, but you learn to feel your way down, which is then noticible in good light.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These days, I prefer goggles, because my eyes have a tendency to water at speed, which does affect vision.

I've never been aware of reduced vision with goggles, except if they mist. I find keeping them on (e.g. in bubble lifts) helps with that. Persistently misting googles should be replaced with a new/better pair.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, agreed with that, goggles all the way and goggles on the head mist up quite quickly in a gondola, and once they start misting up a lot, get new ones.

Elizabeth B, as a boarder riding sideways and backwards you get used to sensory deprivation Laughing so goggles and a hood make no difference snowHead

Megamum, that is right, turn your head more often just like on a bike, saves buying new googles wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman wrote:
These days, I prefer goggles, because my eyes have a tendency to water at speed, which does affect vision.

Mine do too - only takes a breath of cold wind & I can be streaming.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having lost several contact lenses whilst skiing on the last day at VT I was really wishing I'd had my goggles with me that day!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, yes I've finally realised that misting up is best avoided by just keeping them on, this also prevents getting snow inside them.

Megamum, for ultimate sensory deprivation stay in the Plein Sud till 7 then ski down in a white out Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I was "bred" on goggles from the age of 5.... So I can't really give a point of view on the loss of peripheral vision. What I would guess is that if anything it just a temporary situation until your brain get the reflexes to makhke you lokk around a bit more and very quickly and "loss" is not noticed any more. Try some snorkelling/scuba goggles, now there's some loss of periheral vision!

As per Rayscoops and Laundryman, I don't wear sunglasses. Goggles obviouly protect from the sun but they're also there to protect your eyes from wind and snow (and hard surfaces) when you fall. So for me sunglasses always felt kind of like skiing/boarding "naked" . Toofy Grin
On top of that my current sunglasses are oakley Juliets andI would hate to break or loose them, and considering they're made of some dense metallic alloy, I am paranoid I would "stab" myself in a fall. rolling eyes

Having worn a helmet for the 1st time this year, I have not noticed any loss of hearing...
snow report
jonm, your eyes watered so much that your lenses kept falling out? Strewth! What kind of lenses do you wear? My eyes water, but I've never lost a lens! Maybe worth mentioning to your optician, they might be able to give you different ones for sport.

My helmet causes some reduction in hearing, enough that I can't use my phone, but will hear when someone yells that it's time for a drink stop. Goggles only in terrible weather, I've got decent ones but they do reduce peripheral vision. I'll try out some of those that apparently don't, but don't quite see how they don't - the frame gets in the way, surely? My p.v. is about 220 degrees, dropping to 200 in sunnies, but under 180 in goggles because of the frame and the curvature of the lens.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
I don't think my hearing is 100% to start with (my mum and aunts suffer from hereditary deafness), and I also feel a bit isolated in goggles. A recent bad experience in nil visibility has not helped. I no longer look at my skis though, unless it is to admire them when I take them off at lunchtime Very Happy However I agree that the sensory deprivation improves your skiing. If I wasn't perfect I wouldn't have got down that piste in one piece, visibility was non-existant, and we couldn't even locate any if the piste markers, never mind left and right.

I should have said that if I hadn't have concentrated on my technique being perfect.......... (lappy keyboard was screwed at the time)
snow report
Deleted

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 3-05-08 23:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I wear a full face helmet and do lose some periphiral vision and hearing but not enought to effect or worry me.

Quote:

I could also not easily look at the tips of my skis

What are you looking for on the tips of you skis wink If you are looking at you skis most of the time you are already placing a huge restriction on your field of vision? Get teh head up girl and relax

Second you need new googles two recomendations for you neither cheap but both have interchangable lenses and are greato

Oakly Wisdom I wear and adore them could be my fac piece of ski kit and most essential

Oakley Stockholm Very fashionable Mrs O got a pair this year all white and sparkly and she loves them said there was a new diffrence between them and the old Bole ones she had
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy