Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Potential move from Scotland to London - how easy is it to access ski slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

This forum seems like a good place to seek some advice.

I currently live in Glasgow, and have been enjoying the best ski season for years (35 days so far and counting!) in the Highlands. However, I have recently been offered a very good job in London, and the only thing that stops me accepting is the (perceived) lack of access to skiing.

Is there anyone in London who skis Scotland regularly? With advance booking available on the sleeper, I would have thought weekend trips were quite do-able?

Or is it possible to get over to France for the weekend on a regular basis for not that much money?

Any advice recevied really rather gratefully. Have to provide potential new employers with an answer next week!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Barclay, well done you both on the job front and in getting in 35 days on the hill.

If your new job is adequately remunerated then France/Italy/Swiss (and possibly Austria) weekends are potentially easier to do (from London) than Scotland.

Possibly cheaper, probably more snow sure, arguably sunnier and you get to enjoy some foreign culture as well.

Not that I'm detracting from Scotland of course, being Scottish myself and an alumni of the Scottish-Norwegian ski school in Cairngorm - but given the choice between (say) 2 days in the Portes du Soleil vs 2 days on Cairngorm...I know what I'd go for.

You probably want to plan ahead and book flights as soon as they're released. Also check out alternative departure points (London City does consistently cheap flights into Geneva) and remember that low cost airlines refers to low costs of operation, not necessarily low fares. We use BA/Swiss and Air france from Geneva to London much more often than Easyjet - Easyjet are frequently more expensive and less convenient.

My best ever season out of London was 57 days skiing and (I think) only 10 "holiday" days taken.

Now of course I live in Geneva and only ski when it's sunny Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Barclay, Welcome to Snowheads. Driving it's about the same amount of time to get to the Alps as it is to Scotland..in fact from me (Tunbridge Wells), Chamonix is nearer than Cairngorm (10 hours vs 12). There are plenty of flights to Geneva from London but you do need to book early.. as you would with the train/plane to Scotland.

For a weekend, you would need to fly or train (20hrs in a car in 3 days ?)..so the prices for Scotland or Chamonix are likely to work out the same...what you can't (IMV) easily/economically do is drop everything and get to the 'gorm 'cos the webcam looks good.

Mrs Ski and me regularly talk about living somewhere else - we enjoy mountains as much as anyone one this forum, and, although weekends in the Highlands are a bit of a stretch, they payoff is much easier access to the Alps. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Barclay, though I don't live in London, most of David Murdoch's advice makes sense to me. I am less convinced about his airline advice - but you can do your own internet checks and come to your own conclusions on that. I find it frustrating - but I can't see that planning on skiing much in Scotland is viable when living darn Sarf.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks chaps, good advice so far.

Couple of points worth mentioning - the new London job is very interesting but the pay isn't spectacular. Not too bad, but I'll not be buying the Chalet in Klosters just yet.

Also, I don't like flying much. I really dislike the impersonal faff of airports and would much rather use a train. I have a campervan which I guess I won't use in London, so I could consider leaving that in either Scotland or France, take the train out to it and use it for kipping in.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Barclay, take the job down here. I guess after some time up North you have plenty of like-minded friends who'll put you up when you want to return, so you'll save on accom costs, and you'll have much better access to flights all over Europe from London. I've very recently heard the same about EZ becoming uncompetitive and Swiss & AF out of City Airport being amongst the cheaper options. I went up to Scotland in April for a weekend - the return seated sleeper fare was about £20 more than my return flight to GVA 3 weeks later!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, just read what you wrote about flying. The ski train to France is doable for a w/e, AIUI, and about the same price as a saver return on the Caledonian sleeper.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Barclay, even without factoring skiing into the equation you need a big pay rise to move from Glasgow to London without seeing a drop in purchasing power; I've done both directions in the past!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Overnight from London on Friday by sleeper train and get scheduled back on the monday. You'll likely take long weekends, fly out thurs and back late Sun or Monday morning. But if you do that, then make sure you can connect with the resort. Local post buses do not run late, IME.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in London but if the job is worth it, then the skiing is doable. Even if you use up a days leave to extend the weekend, that would take the rush out of a 2 day weekend trip to the Alpes. Having said that..it would be a crammed weekend anyway..!!

If you live 1000kms away from the hills you can expect to take the day ( 10 hours ) getting there IME.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Barclay, if flying isn't so attractive then you can also Eurostar into Paris (much faster now I understand...) and if you're not fussy about where you're going it's easy to get a train from Paris to Bourg St Maurice I think. Or even a sleeper? the train option possibly makes it an even call betwixt Scotland and the Alps. For train advice you can do worse than check out http://www.seat61.com/France.htm#Alps

achilles, why less convinced about my airline advice? It's just my experience...certainly for the airports/times/dates I want to fly...

The most outstanding example was Easter 2005 when it was cheaper to fly Club Class BA than Easyjet (for the dates and times I wanted when I booked - I had left the booking a little late...).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Barclay wrote:
Also, I don't like flying much. I really dislike the impersonal faff of airports and would much rather use a train. I have a campervan which I guess I won't use in London, so I could consider leaving that in either Scotland or France, take the train out to it and use it for kipping in.

Give London City a try - you only have to check in 30 mins before flying and it definitely has the feel of a bus station on a Friday evening! (In a good way)

Camper van could be workable but you'd need to think about whether you keep it near the airport or at the resort. Would certainly help in that you could keep most of your kit in it and just travel out with hand luggage.

And going for a 2 day weekend from central London is totally do-able.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most of the above advice is good but make sure your job in London offers a significant uplift in salary if what you really enjoy is being in the hills not just winter but summer. You can ski almost every weekend in Europe As DM outlines but it doesn't come cheap - £100 a day on average is my estimate and you can end up in a cycle of feeling permanetly knackered at work particularly if you have to travel there too.

The more difficult part of living in the poncey effete south TM is the lack of decent hills for walking etc in the summer and while Scotland, Lake District , North Wales are accessible they are certainly more of a pain than from Glasgow (thanks to West Coast mainline permanent Sunday maintenance work)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Barclay wrote:
Thanks chaps, good advice so far.

Couple of points worth mentioning - the new London job is very interesting but the pay isn't spectacular. Not too bad, but I'll not be buying the Chalet in Klosters just yet.

Have a look at holidayloverxx's report of a day trip to Les Arcs done by train.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=823002
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leave Glasgow asap. It is a dump.

Move to East London. Near City Airport and Eurostar.

Job done.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One advantage of train over plane is they're less likely to get delayed by wintery weather. When you're away for only 2-3 days, a delay of 4-5 hrs really cut into your holiday.
ski holidays
After my experience with the 'sleeper' to the EOSB, I will NEVER travel by couchette again Twisted Evil

Daytime trains are fine though Little Angel
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

I suppose it depends on what you constitute a "dump".

I have lived in Glasgow all my life and consider it to be anything but a "dump".
snow report
Arno wrote:
Barclay wrote:

Give London City a try - you only have to check in 30 mins before flying and it definitely has the feel of a bus station on a Friday evening! (In a good way).

The sheer ease of using LCY is worth 50 squid to me any day of the week - and it looks like the flight times to there are going to save me a day's car hire to boot in a couple of weeks
snow conditions
Whitegold, you're full of sh!te.
ski holidays
for short trips to the alps its the plane.. you soon get used to it and the time savings make so much difference as to render the train pointless (excuse the pun wink )
ski holidays
eng_ch, The only thing about LCY is it can be subject to weather delays..I use it for work..this year I've had an 8hr and 4hr wait .. but it's still better than the alternatives. Given a choice I'd take the train....
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
for short trips to the alps its the plane.. you soon get used to it and the time savings make so much difference as to render the train pointless (excuse the pun wink )

Time saving: if you're the sort that can sleep well on the train, overnight train works great. No weather delay, no airport shuffle, no ski carrying charges. No getting up at 5 am to catch a flight and still only get to the slope at noon. You arrive in the morning fresh to ski first lift (and work at the other end).

But if you can't sleep well on a rocking and rolling bed, obviously the mis-named "sleeper train" will leave you totally exhausted in the morning. Flying will be a better alternative.

I found I can't do the overnight thing every weekend. But once a month is fine. And that translate into 3 or 4 extra "weekender" trip a season. Like adding one or two extra weeks skiing in.Smile
ski holidays
Rossfra8, but quite interesting sh1te ?
latest report
ski, more so than Gatwick or Thiefrow? Hadn't noticed myself - but it may have lesser nav/landing systems?
snow conditions
ski wrote:
Given a choice I'd take the train....

Quicker to drive for us - we can get to Calais in about 8 hours. Quickest train is get to Zurich, 5 hours from there to Paris, allow check-in time for Eurostar and the latter's total inability to connect to European train timetables - good 12 hours by the time we're in Kent. Driving's cheaper than the train too, usually
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
Thiefrow

Laughing Laughing

Actually Zurich's my favourite airport - clean, airy, efficient, reasonable amount to do. It also keeps coming top of passenger surveys since it was refurbished. The only PITA is if your flight goes from Terminal E and you have to get the Maglev - can take anything up to hour just to get there and through security
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, agreed. Still Glasgow is my home city-got to expect me to be at least a small bit defensive!
ski holidays
Whichever way I look at this I cant see how youre gonna get anywhere near 35 days skiing (without a massive increase in costs, time, energy and distance travelled) if you move to London.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rossfra8, Agree with you, he's talking shite.
snow conditions
Quote:

Puzzled
Quote:

Move to East London.

Laughing
snow report
Barclay, Sleeper is cool but there is limited availability on cheap berths. I normally take a gamble and book cheap flights to Glasgow in advance (of snow sometimes!)and bum a lift from there. It'll be my 4th weekend this season at the weekend. Zurich is pretty cool for weekends to Engelberg and Andermatt.
ski holidays
Some great advice here - thanks.

I recognise that 35 days skiing is an impossibility on a limited budget next year. No more "working from home" while shredding the slopes of Cairngorm!!

I've decided to accept the London job (against the advice of my bank balance!) and so will be keeping a close eye on release of those cheap tickets. Still going to try and avoid aeroplanes - let's see how long that lasts!
ski holidays
Quote:

I normally take a gamble

sometimes it pays off snowHead

....more to come on Winterhighland including descent of Angel's Peak, getting caught in a wet slide, and ' dog ate my ski boot' story
ski holidays
another option is the direct eurostar snow train service that runs on friday nights and saturdays out of st pancras. 6 1/2 hours from london to moutier and then 15 -25 minutes to any of the 3 Valleys resorts. doesnt stop in paris and first stop moutier and then onto bourg... very sweet easy journey, i have only used it for week long visits though but worth a look.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy