Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ebay chinese seller.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello.
I've only just discovered this group and it is a great forum. I have been entertained and bamboozled in equal measure.
I am going skiing for the first time in twenty two years in December. This gives me plenty of time to research my equipment needs.
My question is regarding Chinese sellers on ebay. For instance this item: auction number 370047672092

I suppose it must be a "copy" item but it still looks great. Does anyone know if these items from China are up to the job of keeping a man warm and dry or should I steer well clear. I accept that there may be ethical implications in such a purchase.
Thank you in advance.
Palumbex
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The shipping alone is over £60 and i doubt very much it's real. As it's the off season you will be able to get a bargin in many UK shops on gear that you can trust is the real thing.

PS welcome to snowheads Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
palumbex, I know nothing about chinese ebay sellers, but welcome to snowHead 's !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
palumbex, As with anything on ebay, check feedback. Plus as everything in life, if it looks to good to be true it probably is.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would wait till summer and get some deals i this country askiwi1, says doubt its real also you will be able to try different jackets on and see how they fit.

Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
palumbex, welcome. TK Maxx is a great place for ski gear at reasonable prices (it will come into stock in Nov/Dec), also Tchibo (same sort of time frame. There are plenty of ebay sellers of discounted ski gear who are in the UK - I'd start with them!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
while i may be doing the Chinese sellers a disservice - all that I've seen is knock off Sypder gear
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yer you are right - most of it is dodgy Spyder gear and whilst they look good to an extent on the outside, they do not do the job properly and you will be left wanting in cold conditions. Look at some of the advice on ebay about these jackets on how to spot the fakes and also on why they are inferior. As pointed out, it is still a lot of money to spend on something that you cannot judge its quality. Plus when I was looking there was feedback from a number of different people suggesting they had been sent the wrong size or colour with very little recourse. The chinese companies are pro fakers (not all, but china is the leading country in making fake sunglasses, clothes, etc) and boost their feedback by creating other accounts to leave feedback. BUYER BEWARE
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Call me a cynic, but if I was selling Spyder kit online, I'd have the name in the title, and I'd also have the model name featured very prominently in the description. The jacket also bears no resemblance to any of the current Spyder line from a quick scan of their website, so either its a fake, or its last season's kit (or before). It may also be a "second", with a minor fault.

I would guess that the £63 postage consists of £13 for shipment, and a guaranteed payment of £50 towards the item, and it looks like the £5 "insurance" is mandatory as well. They probably have their costs covered even if it goes for 99p, especially if these are fakes, as the production cost is likely to be under £20 per set.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with someone else's bargepole....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This maybe 2+2=5, but check out the posts by lawrry, and their link in their signature. It's to a web shop in Shanghai, which sells an identical jacket. Their FAQs have a most interesting section:

Quote:

3.Are your products authentic
Our products are authentic, but they are Mirror Image of original, natural best leather, patent canvas, correct mark, serial number, hologram, come free with authenticity cards, tag, care booklet and dust bag.
we only supply TOP quality products, what you see is what you will get.

4.How close is your bag to authentic
They are 100% mirror image to original, even for expert it hard to tell the difference.

Puzzled

"What you see is what you will get" - you see a semi-convincing fake, and that's what you'll be getting.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS. Any company who can only be contacted via Hotmail and Yahoo free e-mail addresses is of course inherantly reliable... Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I must say that the price £70 for gear (I realised it was copy) was interesting but I suppose I just needed talking down. Thank you all for the good sense written.

I suppose the most valuable lesson from browsing this forum is that it is better to have reasonable quality layered clothing rather than spending silly money on genuine gear with unnecessary high specifications for a beginner. I will go the off season sale route or wait for TK Maxx etc. I hope to take a trip to New York before the end of the year so I will also check the ski shops in Manhattan. Thanks again.

Palumbex
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The golden rule of eBay - don't buy from China.

China is the number one counterfiter in the world.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
palumbex wrote:
Hello.
I've only just discovered this group and it is a great forum. I have been entertained and bamboozled in equal measure.
I am going skiing for the first time in twenty two years in December. This gives me plenty of time to research my equipment needs.
My question is regarding Chinese sellers on ebay. For instance this item: auction number 370047672092

I suppose it must be a "copy" item but it still looks great. Does anyone know if these items from China are up to the job of keeping a man warm and dry or should I steer well clear. I accept that there may be ethical implications in such a purchase.
Thank you in advance.
Palumbex

I see you posted this on May 1 2008.

When were you born? Apr 30 2008?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see you posted this on May 1 2008.

When were you born? Apr 30 2008?[/quote]

I assume you are referring to my perceived gullibility. If that is the case you may have missed the fact that I realise that the gear is "copy". I was not looking for reassurance as to its authenticity, I was just wondering as to its quality. Thanks for your concern all the same and if you have any bridges for sale I may be interested. rolling eyes

Palumbex
ski holidays
palumbex, Welcome to snowHead 's, I see you have met our friendly Whitegold already.... wink
snow report
palumbex, first rule of snowheads.......take anything Whitegold, says with a large bucket of salt. Toofy Grin

Very wise asking about the jacket if unsure.
snow report
I thought Whitegold was referring to palumbex only just having found snowHeads! Must get my salt levels checked.
latest report
palumbex, Take no notice of Whitegold, and don't worry, he won't try to sell you a bridge - it's his roof. rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
Axsman, Laughing Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Axsman, boom boom Laughing
snow report
I'm chinese, and even i would definately not touch it! Its fake!
latest report
Hodude wrote:
I'm chinese, and even i would definately not touch it! Its fake!

Fake eh? I did not spot that. rolling eyes

Palumbex
latest report
palumbex, That item is a FAKE. They state the material is Gore-tex. Spyder use Dermizaz-EV in their Legend series jackets. The copy is of a 2005 model, but the colours are wrong also. The Pants don't have 'Spyder' Braces like they should, they're plain in the picture.
Why buy a fake? I can spot one at 100m. Better to spend £80-£100 in TK Maxx or an outlet centre, North Face or Helly Hansen in Bicester for instance, at least you'll get something decent for your money. The fake Spyder stuff might look OK from a distance, but it wont keep you warm/dry and breathable, when the weather turns nasty.
If you want clearance REAL Spyder have a look here: http://www.onebelowzero.com/

Welcome to snowHeads BTW snowHead
snow report
Thanks to everyone who has taken an interest in my question. So here's what I did. I was walking past ski/outdoor shop in Kingston on Thames and there was a sale on. I never even noticed the shop before. I was going to wait for next season but I went in anyway. They did not have high end gear in there but as this is my first ski trip in 22 years I had planed not to spend a lot on my gear initially and perhaps upgrade if the skiing bug bites.

I bought a jacket for myself and my wife. Brand name is Dare2Be. £26.25 for the ladies. £32.49 for the mans. I must say that I am very impressed by the quality for the price. Also the ladies one is very smart looking, my wife was very happy.

This is the ladies one: http://www.trekwear.co.uk/dare2be_axis_ladies_ski_jacket/p-722.html

Got the black one £26 bargain.

The mans one: http://www.skiwear.co.uk/Ski-Jackets-/Mens-Ski-Jackets/Dare2be-Principal-Ski-Jacket/p-240-257-733/

Got that for £32.49.

Also got some goggles. http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Clothing/Accessories/Goggles/Bolle/Sharkfin+Goggle+BOL0063.htm

Paid £14.99.

And for me....... perfect for a guy with a big nose like mine.

http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Clothing/Accessories/Goggles/Bolle/Nova+Goggle+BOL0061.htm

Paid £24.99.

So some good deals there and I am very happy with what I got. I tried on several goggles and was particularly happy with how comfortable the novas were.
They had some nice fleeces for sale. One brand I recognised was Berghaus.
If anyone is interested the shop was Venturesport just opposite TK Maxx.

Palumbex
latest report
Hey. How come only one of the urls is clickable? Strange.
snow report
palumbex, I reckon that'll do nicely. Most modern materials are pretty good at keeping out the elements and a lot of it (not all though) is breathable (if you've not skied for 22 years, you could, erm, sweat a lot). The Dare2Be range is pretty popular, you see it everywhere on the slopes and in the high street, I don't hear many complaints. One thing that can be a false economy is cheap gloves, once they go inside out or get washed they are a nightmare to realign the finger lining into the glove itself,. I'm not sure how you tell if this is going to happen but I guess if you want to stay on a low budget I'd buy mittens to be on the safe side. Welcome to Snowheads and are you excited yet ?
ski holidays
Decathlon is also an excellent and well priced shop for ski wear if your missing any bits of kit (its been discussed endlessly here before, as have most things) Very Happy . Ther is/was a large one in London near tower bridge, not sure if its still there though
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty, It's at Canada Waters, a bit further out. On the Jubilee line on the way to Canary Wharf, only about 100m from the station.
ski holidays
Welcome to Snowheads and are you excited yet ?[/quote]

Frosty, thank you. Am I excited yet? I've booked the holiday already. Staying for new year with a large group so last minute booking wasn't an option. It's eight months away and I'm shopping already. I think you might say that I am a little overexcited.

Palumbex
ski holidays
palumbex, sounds like you're addicted already Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:
It's eight months away and I'm shopping already

So, the prospect of a skiing trip turns men into women. Fascinating. Toofy Grin
latest report
The thing about Spyder jackets is they are so well made and detailed, the fakes stand out a mile and you really do look like a t**t.
snow report
Kel, I am a Godess then Cool
snow report
Kel, seriously, I chose the most discreet jacket & pants available at the time. You really have to look closely to see they are Spyder, and while I have had positive comments it's largely down to me knowing I have Spyder and you guessing wink
snow conditions
Spyderman, oh darn... why did you have to go and post that link... I'm soooo tempted now Toofy Grin
latest report
holidayloverxx,

So you have a discreet version then without the metallic spyder, that the fakers do ohh sooooh badly.

They are a bit like the fake Boss shirt's. The original's have the label under the collar, but you know your wearing Hugo Boss wink
snow report
Kel, Yep, mine is 100% discreet, 100% genuine. If we ever meet you can play spot the spyder wink
snow conditions
Kel, Aha - fooled you! I'm a mackem who is on missonary work in the South wink

edit: what happened - kel - u deleted your post Puzzled
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
Kel, I am a Godess then Cool
Aren't all girl's from Essex Godess'

snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy