Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone done a Crystal Ski instructor course?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I’m looking at doing a 10-12 week instructor course next season and wondered if anyone had any experience of the Crystal Academy? The Crystal Courses seem pretty comprehensive and I have always had good holidays with them. Has anyone done an instructor course with them?

I’m currently looking at the 12 week course in Banff but there are so many different courses from different companies on offer, I don’t know which one to choose! Doing a search, nonstopski.com seem to have a good reputation but their Banff course seems to be designed for a novice which puts me off.

I realise that I might be able to do a season cheaper if I organised it myself but I feel when you add everything up the difference wouldn’t actually be all that great. Plus, doing a course means it will be easy to make friends & my season should have some good structure to it.

I’m not sure yet if I would continue as an instructor after the course but I have many friends who can’t yet ski who would appreciate my new found teaching skills! I guess I don’t just don’t want to go out there for 3 months and achieve nothing! This will be a career break for me.

I haven’t yet set my heart completely on Banff (heard it can get a bit cold which is the only thing that puts me off – is it really that bad?) so open to other resorts in UK or Canada.

Any views/opinions/feedback greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Dave
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
not heard of them, have they got a website?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.crystalinstructors.co.uk/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Recreational Avalanche course" sounds good.

A playful torrent of death perhaps?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
daverave, You may get more response asking the same question over on http://www.natives.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
daverave, you could look at Peak Leaders. My daughter has done the Zermatt course this winter and had a great time. Next year they are moving it to Saas Fee (which will be much quieter so perhaps not quite such a good social life) and bringing the dates forward to the autumn with the prospect of spending the rest of the season in Zermatt as an instructor. Work may be in short supply during the quiet weeks, so plenty of time for skiing, while in the busy weeks there are never enough instructors.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daverave, I did NONSTOP in Banff this year, we mocked the Crystal "International Academy" relentlessly, i'll pm you my email if you have any questions regarding the course!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
daverave, if you're not fixed on going to Canada you could also look at http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/gap/gap-program_08.htm

Quite a few people I knew on the course did it for the same reason as you, that is, to give their season some structure and meet up with like minded people. There was a 100% pass rate and there were jobs for all who wanted them after the course finished. I met up with a few of the people I got to know off the course last week in London and most of them were planning to head out to Verbier again next year - some to work, others just to ski. There are some testimonials on the website so you'll be able to get an idea about the course from them
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Crystal / Instructor Academy guys were mocked in Whistler as well. And very easy to spot in their matching jackets...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
daverave, You would not be able to teach in Italy for more than 3 weeks - they claim you can work there - check what they say carefully. If you might want to follow it up as a career, then be very careful about which qualifications you take and where they will ultimately take you. Also you should check out the ISIA website.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agreeing with supernaut, I was in Whistler earlier this year with a Canadian instructor we know out there, who explained that the "Crystal International Academy" lot were regarded as a joke with all the Whistler ski school. It did seem a bit like they were trying too hard, only to be laughed at by everyone else.

Rather you than me.

Just do the Basi 1 and 2. Much better respect and a nice shiny badge too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No, but I did a Crystal chalet girl once... Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy