Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comments on my skiing, please

Poster: A snowHead
This sequence of shots was taken last weekend, on my first run of the first day of our Tignes trip, so I'm a little rusty and getting my snow legs back after being on plastic. There are a few things in my skiing I'm not happy with, so it's time to post the picture and hopefully get some good feedback as to where I can improve things. The sequence was shot by Wear the fox hat who is far cleverer than me with a computer at putting something like this together. I know it took him a long time to put together, thanks very much.

Over to you guys.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, legs too close together at the start of the turn, excessive inner tip lead, all total guesswork and streets ahead of anything I could do Razz
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

excessive inner tip lead

snowHead I love that phrase!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
martski, me too. I read it in a thread recently Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, you're all over the place rolling eyes .

(Sorry, rubbish joke.)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maggi, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only thing which I have a question about is the amount of counter in the final third of the turn. In a medium radius turn my instinct is to be a bit squarer. Bringing in a bit of counter at the end of your turn seems to be causing your hips to rotate into the turn, weakening your stacked stance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maggi, That's brilliant! Laughing Laughing Laughing
rob@rar, Yeah, I was just about to say the same...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, boots match jacket so all looks good.

Did you graduate to any blues on your trip? wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, are you happy with that left hand and shoulder?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Which one is you?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
this is ridiculous, because I know nothing, but are some of your uphill hands dropping back/down a bit?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex wrote:
rob@rar, are you happy with that left hand and shoulder?

The left hand might be carried slightly lower than the right and it falls back a bit, but I think that is a symptom of the countered position towards the end of the turn. I'm don't think that that how the arm is carried has, by itself, a huge impact on how the skis interact with the snow, and it is easy to get side-tracked into relatively inconsequential work on stance. I'd say it would be more effective to work on keeping the hips squarer to the skis in these radius turns, if Spyderman agrees that it is something to look at.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, rob@rar, I have been feeling that my left hand/arm hasn't felt right and I made a concious effort to deal with it during the 3 days, it felt as though it was being left behind during the turn, especially at the start.
I think that in an effort to increase angulation, my hips are rotating rather than sinking squarely, maybe just shortening the inside leg would be the answer, but again it's easier said than done. I don't have a problem remaining square during long radius turns, it's just the crossover between short/medium.
You've both picked up on issues that I feel myself, now what's the fix? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What rob@rar, comprex & Spyderman, said wink
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
I think that in an effort to increase angulation, my hips are rotating rather than sinking squarely, maybe just shortening the inside leg would be the answer, but again it's easier said than done.

Yes and yes. I have the same problem, and I've also been trying to focus on a short inside leg to get the angles I need without dropping and rotating my hip into the turn. I think if you get this right the dropped hand will sort itself out.
ski holidays
rob@rar, What have you been doing in particular to correct the problem? Any particular drills?
snow report
skis are far too narrow Toofy Grin
snow conditions
kiwi1 wrote:
skis are far too narrow Toofy Grin

Stormrider offroad XL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy That piste was rock hard.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar, What have you been doing in particular to correct the problem? Any particular drills?

No particular drills. When I asked a couple of instructors what I should do they both said "just stop doing it"! Seemed a bit harsh, but they argued I know what the problem is, I can feel the difference when I keep square to the skis, so I have all the info I need to make the change.

There have been two things I've used as a focus point: short inside leg, and reducing tip lead by drawing inside foot back and pushing outside food forward. Both these things seem to help me keep square in medium and long turns. It feels much stronger when I get it right, but I'm most certainly in the practice phase and it will take lots more practice before it becomes acquired Wink

Next on the list of things to look at is why I can't turn left as well as I can turn right. It's beginning to worry me quite a lot as at least 50% of my skiing involves turning left...
snow report
maggi, lmao ... best line of the month ... Laughing Laughing

Spyderman, Sorry for interrupting a perfectly reasonable thread , totally unqualified to comment ..... but Kramer would add .... 2 turns too many ... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
maggi, lmao ... best line of the month ... Laughing Laughing

Priceless Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I'm sure the BASI trainer's jacket helps wink
snow conditions
beanie1, Laughing
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
I'm sure the BASI trainer's jacket helps wink

Sure does, it was a bargain Very Happy New one too, not the second hand one's they were flogging off. Very useful in lift queues wink
Plus, more importantly it matches my Boots. Toofy Grin
snow report
 monster77
monster77
Spyderman wrote:
comprex, rob@rar,
You've both picked up on issues that I feel myself, now what's the fix? Puzzled

Kerrrching. £££££££££££ with Alpine coaching. You know it makes sense Very Happy
ski holidays
Spyderman, nice barstools snowHead
ski holidays
Nells wrote:

Argghhh, that's a bad drill.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, very cool that you had Ron LeMaster there to take your photograph. wink Great shots WTFH!!

Ummm,, mainly what the others say. I see an open stance throughout the turn not just in the bottom third. shot 5 counting from up the bottom is quite telling, you are entering the fall line very open and not square at all. Head above parapit i would add that you need to drive around the outside hip and shoulder much more. Too much counter for that pitch and size of turn. But i know what you mean about trying to angulate at the hip and ending up with hips back. The last frame is showing excessive tip lead ( Razz to all on the board)

Also, you are really light on the skis at transition with the big crossover move you use which is great, but i think for the type of turns we are seeing here less flex extend and more edging early in phase 1 with a cross under. Try to roll onto the edges earlier and let the skis get wider and out from under the body faster, this will naturally get you inclining early and then you can angulate, this might help keep you squarer early in these medium size turns.. letting the skis run out and wide early really helps get you on the edges and once you "get" it a few times it really helps with feel in the top of the turn.

some drills i would try for hip position..

warm up by making RR turns across and up the hill slowly and as you stop be tall and reverse direction following the same lines. check to see both set of pencil lines are carved with upper and lower lines equal weighting. helps improve hips position.

Same drill as above but one footed on outside. Then try it on inside leg.

without poles and hands on hips in a double teapot fashion see if you can ski with the teapot handles perpendicular to the skis at all times. do the same drill but using poles held with both hands firmly across your beltline.

During free skiing i really like the thought of driving the outside hip and shoulder around the turn when doing med radius turns like those, helps engage the skis earlier in the turn and manages grip in the bottom third.

Lastly one new drill i had given to me which helped get on edges early was as you finish a turn and get the skis flat preparing to enter the next turn, do a very rapid twist of the feet and get both ski tips to move as fast as possible as far to the inside as you can and back out again, then, QUICKLY roll onto the edges. I dont know why this works for me but it really helped think about the transition and getting on the edges early. the rotary move seems to ensures you are light and flat at transition and the twist sharpened up the speed of edging. Once you take the rotary bit out it feels like you can get on the edges super fast.

MK was delightful this week much better than Tigne,, you lucky so and so Toofy Grin Have fun.
latest report
i would change your outfit pal loads of others seem to have the same as you Cool
snow report
Hmmm....wondering what to say. Personally I don't like the hips to be that open. I see a lot of people practise it but I think the turn shape is too large to have to want to stay face down the hill. It looks weird but seems a good way to keep weight over both skis if you must have that.

I am sure the tracks looked very good... I'm just not in love with the process that makes them like that.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Lastly one new drill i had given to me which helped get on edges early was as you finish a turn and get the skis flat preparing to enter the next turn, do a very rapid twist of the feet and get both ski tips to move as fast as possible as far to the inside as you can and back out again, then, QUICKLY roll onto the edges. I dont know why this works for me but it really helped think about the transition and getting on the edges early. the rotary move seems to ensures you are light and flat at transition and the twist sharpened up the speed of edging. Once you take the rotary bit out it feels like you can get on the edges super fast.

Is this called something like "horse twist drill"? It was one of the things shown on my L2 course, but I didn't do it with any success. It was done a a fairly high speed and the notion of flattening your skis and twisting at that pace just didn't feel so clever!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Nells wrote:

Low Bar Stool to the uphill side of hip. A drill taught to me by a Trainer known to both of us. I just need to reposition the stool though.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I think it was called "horseshoes". a bit scary at first and tought to do but really helpful to me.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Nells wrote:

Low Bar Stool to the uphill side of hip. A drill taught to me by a Trainer known to both of us. I just need to reposition the stool though.

Also taught to me by a Trainer, and then BASI Chairman. The trouble with it is that most people, me included, hoick one butt cheek up onto the bar stool, twisting their hip into the turn. I much prefer javelin turns if you are looking to get people to ski with decent angles.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, I think it was called "horseshoes". a bit scary at first and tought to do but really helpful to me.

Sounds like the same drill. We were warned that it was really easy to snag an edge and get dumped, and at the speed we were doing the drill any mishap would have hurt. Have to say I couldn't see the point of the drill and I was glad we only did it a couple of times.
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:

Stormrider offroad XL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy That piste was rock hard.

If i've got the right place that 'Piste' is the nursery slope in Le Brev wink
latest report
Having photographed your attempt at skiing an odd effect was noticed on Wear the Fox Hat wink
snow report
stewart woodward,
Don't know the name of it, it was our first run down to the telecabine at Breviere every morning. I think the first bit which is like a path is blue then it joins another steeper piste down to the lift. WTFH took everyones picture on the same piste.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I did the 'Horse Twist' drill too. Easy to stack it big time
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy