Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Decision Making Survey

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Canadian Avalanche Centre, in conjunction with Simon Fraser University, is seeking survey participants for a study on out-of-bounds avalanche decision making. Findings from the study will be used to develop tools for communicating avalanche risk and assisting out-of-bounds decisions making.

The study includes an online survey with questions about experience and background, typical skiing/riding partners, perceptions of avalanches and ski patrol and an interactive ‘pick a run’ exercise.

All participants will be entered in a prize draw for:
• One Ortovox S1 avalanche transceivers
• Two Black Diamond AvaLung backpacks

At the conclusion of the study interested participants will be emailed a personal analysis sheet that includes a comparison of your avalanche hazard consideration to other study participants.

The survey can be found at: http://www.outbounds.rem.sfu.ca

Your support for study would be much appreciated. Please pass the link onto to anyone you know who would be suitable for this study.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
done - 20 mins is the bare minimum, and the wording is really very much aimed at North American territory rather than European on/off-piste differentiation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just done it, but dificult, even more so as most (all) of my offpiste skiing is in Scotland.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
matason can you confirm that they would ship prizes to Europe should any snowhead win??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go as far as saying you should probably uninvite Euros from the survey if you don't want distorted results. Questions like whether ski patrol are supportive of Out of Bounds skiing in Europe are irrrelevant and/or confusing. Plus line selection on tree pitches isn't an option many of us have on a regular basis.

No mention of other factors such as ice, crunky snow, crevasses, exposure which might impact on decisions to go OFB.

Be interested how you deal with the self selection issue however - I'd be surprised if your average out of bounds reckless gaper found the study.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many questions just didn't apply or were meaningless, or sometimes either answer might apply depending on conditions.

fatbob, yes, I agree and said so.
In my experience pisteurs are very reluctant to give advice about particular runs and slopes but are happy to give facts where they know them.
I don't know why you say that about tree skiing - if you do much off-piste skiing in Europe you usually do a fair amount of tree skiing - though in some places it is restricted close to the resort, mostly it is not.

In the slope selection I could easily give different answers depending on specifics about conditions and snow history and slope direction and my familiarity with the slope etc which were not given.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball,

My comment on tree skiing was meant to be that you usually have done a fair run off piste before you hit the tree line rather than "out of bounds" being nipping into some trees adjacent to the ski area as it may be in N America. There are exceptions of course but given the average European snow line v tree line it would be surprising if tree skiing meant exactly the same thing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, and there was way too little info in the scenarios... it seemed more about testing attitudes to risk than knowledge. No weather, inclination, wind or aspect information...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoatsbrother, Lack of wind and aspect bothered me too, although I think inclination could be derived by the slope grading.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a winner.

A copy of the "Avaluator" avalanche accident prevention card arrived in the post today. I've only had chance to glance through it but it looks useful.

See:

http://www.avalanche.ca/default.aspx?DN=428,4,558,3,Documents

and

https://www.avalanche.ca/shop/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=58
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy