Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR FINISHED (biggish pics): January trip: Verbier-chamonix-La grave

Poster: A snowHead
This past January we did a 11days trip skiing verbier, Chamonix and la Grave. I didn't have time to sit, look at the photos and videos and upload here. But as you know, now, during the recovering I have more time, and I start to write a blog.

I put the photos and a write there (Sorry, I write it in Catalan, but the photos are the same wink wink, if you know french it is a little similar, or also if you know spanish).

This night I finish the verbier part: 4 amazing days, with the 2nd bring us a big storm, and the others were powder days, specially the "day after".

Three pics:

And the rest --> HERE

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 11-05-08 17:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This forum is becoming a good reason for re-joining the SCGB - at least in their forum you cannot indulge in the 'my pictures are bigger than your pictures and will gum up your iTouch' game. And no, saying (pics) in the title doesn't get round the problem - why should the thread be a closed book unless you are prepared to accept big pictures embeded? The snowmediazone is available for links - and to quite large pictures if required (I notoce the intial picutres in your own gallery are smaller than the ones you posted here. The snowheads policy on this is shown here.

Quote:
......Note:- Although it is possible to include images like this, we would ask you to refrain from doing so in your posts except on the "Après Zone" or "Buy, sell or swap" forums........

Moreover, this thread is hardly about getting a group together for a trip - so I wonder why you posted it here rathr than The Piste.

PS - loved the top picture - that 'standing on top of the world look'.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, but trip reports do go in trips Confused

You are in a grumpy mood today wink . In fact although the photos are shown bigger here, they are actually smaller than on Altom's own site Madeye-Smiley (check properties and size in bytes rather than dimensions in pixels)

AlTom's I like your photos!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlTom, No sure what is going on about size Confused but great pictures. Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles wrote:
This forum is becoming a good reason for re-joining the SCGB -.

bye, have fun!

Personally I love skiing trip photo's, I hate thumbnails, and it's one of the best things about this forum.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, Why you so cranky it is always nice to see pics of what people have got up to! Especially when they are so nice
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro wrote:
.. but trip reports do go in trips

Well, allowed by some (but not all) moderators, that’s getting to be the case. However,

admin wrote:
Whether you're a solo skier or a group hit by a last minute cancellation and needing a single skier or two to fill the gap, use this forum to find the bodies u need for ski-trips

In other words ‘Trips’ is for getting parties together – and jolly good for that it is, too; but it won’t be if it is clogged with trip reports – I fear sHs will come to think that the place is for reports, and not for its original purpose. Ironically, trip reports would probably get more views if posted in The Piste.

Quote:
In fact although the photos are shown bigger here, they are actually smaller than on Altom's own site

I must admit it does seem a badly constructed gallery (in terms of its coding not layout). I haven’t checked the pixel size of the images , but judging by the gallery’s sluggish behaviour, you are right.

kitenski wrote:
Personally I love skiing trip photo's, I hate thumbnails, and it's one of the best things about this forum

Well, apart from making the forum a lot less slick for some viewing devices, the other thing a poster is saying with big pictures is that the pictures are magnificent. Frankly, many are not. All too often they are not well composed, or have poor contrast and/or tonal balance. So not only are the pictures filling the thread, they are often disappointing. For example, it may have been an epic for some one to go down a steep slope in poor light, but it doesn’t look that impressive in a low contrast picture in cold blood. Turning to this thread, for me, you could argue the first of Altom's pictures is worth looking at, but not the other 2. You may disagree, but I would prefer it if we could each decide whether to follow up on pictures, rather than have them thrust at us.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles,

Most of the people viewing on broadband I imagine don't have a problem with pics. Why should everyone be inconvenienced by small thumbnails just to accompany those geeky enough to want to access it on their iphone etc?

Yes not all pics are great but there have been some stunners lately & if quality were the barometer of whether something is fit to post maybe the mods should delete over 90% of the text posts on here wink

If server space is the issue then how about slaughtering a few sacred cows like dawn chorus etc wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FWIW, I like to see pics and I would have thought..page display issues aside, that it is a question of disk space or not more than anything else

AlTom, Nice pics..!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, you really are becoming boring with this. Please do go back to the SCGB. Just because you can't ski and don't like to ski doesn't mean that other SNOWHEADS don't. The clue may well be in the title. You sound like that other bloke and the T&Cs, no one else shares your opinion now please shut up.

AlTom, gràcies dude.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, Laughing

any end of season Verbier off piste pics on their way wink I hope so Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fab pics!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice pics AlTom. When is the next instalment?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlTom, Nice pics , do like the 2nd one Smile

Have to agree with most of the posts here, I too enjoy to see pics in the threads, rather than tiny thumbnails where you have to break continuity to view.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, yes lots. I will be posting thread after thread of <<shock>> skiing photos... Shock
ski holidays
I like proper size photos in threads, the more the merrier! I don't like linked thumbnails, especially on my iPhone as it clogs up things with too many browser windows and tabs.

AlTom, nice photos.
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
achilles, you really are becoming boring with this. Please do go back to the SCGB. Just because you can't ski and don't like to ski doesn't mean that other SNOWHEADS don't. .........

Pardon Puzzled

Kramer wrote:
stanton, achilles is actually quite an experienced and ballsy off piste skier...........I don't know how old you are, but he's almost twice my age, and skis everything that I do, and enjoys it.

It might be best to check your facts before resorting to personal insults. Best not resort to personal insults in the first place, though. Dude. Laughing
ski holidays
achilles, I'd kick your back bottom skiing switch. Mr Meldrew. Twisted Evil

You want to check your facts too. You're the only one who cares that there are photos in threads. The funny thing is, when the photos are of other gappers, you don't complain... NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
parlor, as you are pimping Verbier holidays, I suspect you will ski better than I, since presumably you ski a lot more than I each season. That is another thing form saying I don't ski. Your tone continues to be personally offensive, which I don't understand.

I am not the only one objecting to large photos in threads. However, although I feel they are a BIT LIKE USING BLOCK CAPITALS, I am beginning to feel a bit like DG going on about t&cs, and I'd already decided to let things be without further comment (I'm making an exception here this once since you are continuing to make an issue). Its admin's forum - so it's up to him whether the posting of large pics becomes the norm.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 28-04-08 9:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I like photos in threads - even rubbish ones Very Happy
snow report
I love photos and hate thumbnails - and toe nails too Laughing
snow report
achilles, sausages. wink Just warming you up for some summer love and long threads with lots of big photos in. We need a kiss smilie. snowHead
snow conditions
parlor, For you and achilles?

ski holidays
parlor, I think thefatcontroller has said it all Very Happy
snow report
AlTom, great stuff

achilles, go back to your cave... rolling eyes
snow report
AlTom, ignore the bickering, great photos! Thanks for posting them.
ski holidays
Awsome pics.

I'm not jealous in the slightest of you, standing there at the top of the mountain, ready to slide down it.
ski holidays
achilles, this is the second thread in which you've complained about pics, and the second in which you've been outvoted everyone:one. You're entitled to your opinions of course, but please don't pursue this one or there's a risk you'll become the new David Goldsmith, bashing away at irrelevant issues until everyone gets nasty...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, you are wrong...we like pics.
You don't?
Then don't open a thread that says there will be pics.

If I knew how to post pics....I would post pics too.
ski holidays
After these amazing days in Verbier we went to Chamonix to know the zone a little, and despite the rise of temperatures and the weather (sun, sun and more sun and the days before lots of wind) we can found soft snow every day.

We wanted to ski more serious stuff (ENSA, cosmiques, g.rond) but the hard snow on the brevent couloirs (we ski the "easiest" to check it but the conditions were infamous, bowls of ice and crusty, and at the end ski in an old avalanche bowls, so not tempted to ski the hardest) and the N wind that affect the north face of mont blanc and the lack of information in the OHM about recent descents os cosmiques or rond, did a change in the plans and enjoy the "classic runs" via the envers du plan and also the "vraie vallée blanche", good snow in this second one.

We skied Grands Montets 4 days after the las storm, and believe me if in the pendant and front face absolute every cm was tracked, but luckily in the rognons side we found nice wind blown snow next to the rock in the middle and then near the argentiere glacier, and also very lucky to found the best snow in the other side, in the pas de chèvre, after cross the couloirs the slope turn NO and widens a lot..there the best powder (with the vraie vallée blanche) founded in chamonix.

At every step that I do to know better chamonix, I think that I'm more far to know really.......At every new descent that I know appear thousands of more routes to do... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Some photos (sorry achilles..... wink NehNeh Twisted Evil )

The rest HERE
ski holidays
AlTom, glorious photos, thanks.
snow report
Finally, the last stop before return to our little country was La Grave, and despite the last days warm temps and strong winds, we could ski the principal itineraries and did all the couloirs du lacs, or ski the glacier de la girose until the col du lac starting with windpack snow in the glacier, soft bumps in the upper vallons, and finish with big bumps (and iced next to P1). We manage to did 5 descents on the first day, 2 of them starting at the top of the TKs and the others starting at ruillans, and all finishing at P1 station except the last one that we finished in the town. So lots of vertical skied, and nice to feel the legs strong! (but also a bit tired after 8 non-stopping skiing days).

But it was the first time that we skied la Grave, so it was enough to know the area for future trips. Really and awesome area, with lots of extreme, and with the town of La Grave that holds the ancient "spirit" of mountain towns and mountain people.

Also was really nice to met unexpectedly easiski at col des Ruillans... Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

After two days skiing LG we wanted to also know ADH, but the last day was really awful, iced snow, poor visibility, so no chances of off-piste..We only did 1 run and we decided to finish the trip. But, we will return to l'ADH....for sure.....

Two pics:

And the rest of the last stage--> HERE
snow report
AlTom,

Good effort..great pics
snow report
Beautiful pics Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy