Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

my next life

Poster: A snowHead
Have retired and spent 33 days on slopes this year but this is plainly not enough! I've skiied all over Europe and U.S and am advanced level. Would like to spend several months next year in a resort for powder and don't mind where. Has anyone (who is not on a gap year) done the same? If so I'd like to know details. I just want to ski the dream before everything gives out!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skivor, I was getting ready to respond, had numerous thoughts running through my mind. Was on a gap year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skivor, Might be worth you contacting BernardC.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skivor, Japan or Utah. Only done the latter quite a few times so far... it does snow like hell there and the quality of the powder is tops but i'm told certain areas in Japan beat it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller wrote:
skivor, Japan or Utah. Only done the latter quite a few times so far... it does snow like hell there and the quality of the powder is tops but i'm told certain areas in Japan beat it.

Done both.

Spent the winter of 2003/04 living in Park City, Utah.

Town is great, not too expensive, plenty to do. Sundance Film Festival. Great bars and restaurants. Free bus between Deer Valley, Park City and The Canyons. Shuttles available to get to Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude.

I would get a car. Then you can hit Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, Sundance and Beaver.

Powder was/is excellent. Plenty of variety.

Spent the past two winters in the Niseko area of Hokkaido, northern Japan.

Posted plenty of info about my experiences on here. Do a search.

In summary,

Most, most consistent, deepest & lightest powder I've ever skied. At least 50 boot top or deeper powder days this season. Same last season.

Great people, great food, cheap if you bring UK pounds with you. accommodation is getting harder to find in Hirafu (the village at the base of the resort) but I would recommend getting a car and then renting a place a little out of town isn't an issue. Cheaper too.

Plus there are some excellent resorts nearby:

Less than 1 hour
Moiwa, Chisenupuri, Rusutsu

1-2hr
Kiroro, Sapporo Kokusai, Sapporo Teine Highlands

2-3hr
Kamui, Mt Racey, Alpha Resort Tomamu

3-4 hr
Asahidake, Kurodake

Now live here year round and will be spending my 3rd winter here. Enough said. PM if you want more.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We just spent 6 weeks in Breckenridge. Season lift pass covers A Basin and Keystone and you are not far from Vail and Beaver Creek. Very cheap at the moment, especially as we found an outlet village and took advantage of all the end of season sales. The town is a reasonable size so plenty variety of shops and restaurants, and although we didn't do it, you are only a couple of hours from Denver if you fancy a city break at any time. Snow conditions were excellent and varied from bright blue sunshine to huge powder dumps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought that in general Japanese resorts did not allow off piste skiing. If skivor skis off piste or wishes to develope in that direction, Japan might be a bad place to go. What is your experience in the resorts you mention? If I wanted to routinely ski the steep and deep there as I do elsewhere - could I?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interior BC into the mix. (just take your ipod so you can drown out the Aussies wink )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go on a tour of interior BC too if I had several months to spare. You could start off in Whistler and work your way right across over to Alberta i.e. Banff etc. There are loads of great resorts along the way and you should encounter lots of powder.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
I thought that in general Japanese resorts did not allow off piste skiing. If skivor skis off piste or wishes to develope in that direction, Japan might be a bad place to go. What is your experience in the resorts you mention? If I wanted to routinely ski the steep and deep there as I do elsewhere - could I?

From what I understand (and Mike Pow is obviously Mr on the spot) the issue is not the deep but the steep and the offpiste "ban" is either a mainly cultural thing or a fallacy. The tree photos look great though.

I'd seriously consider Golden or Revy if I was looking at a season again (plus a touring rig for Roger's Pass ..oh and basic fitness)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, spoke to a couple of people who had recently been to Japan about the off-piste ban. it isn't the case everywhere, but in a lot of places you are not supposed to ski off piste. it also seems that ski patrol are often not that great at skiing off-piste and so are fairly easy to avoid. however, you do tend to stand out a bit if you are carrying a pack, shovel etc so they cotton on pretty quick. one guy said that after a couple of days of warnings his group got their own private ski patroller following them around. obviously the answer to this was for them all the head off together and then split up Laughing

not that i condone any of this behaviour of course Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, that might be how I got my "fallacy" understanding wink I withdraw my previous comment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skivor, Hi come live the dream. I have now been doing this for the past five seasons, love it! Hope I can keep going a while longer. PM me if you want to get in contact. I ski all over the tarentaise french alps, there are some of the biggest ski areas in europe and are all reachable within max 40 min and some only 10 min away. A great place to be based and this season we had amazing powder every month.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah Snowcrazy has it right ! - Tarentaise is a great place for season after season, so much to ski you'd never ever get bored, even after 10 seasons out here. This my third here & the powder's still not over - well fingers crossed anyway wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcrazy, snowcrazy,

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I know the area well and have spent a lot of holidays in Val. Have you got a place or do you rent? Where would be a good place to look for accommodation (don't imagine resorts themselves are in budget!). Have a moniteur friend in Bourg who has been looking for somewhere as I had said I might be interested in buying but he tells me prices are crazy. I had thought to let my house for a few months and thus shouldn't cost too much for the stay. My wife will retire in Nov. and is also keen but I know she's not pro-active enough to organise a long stay. Be interested to know where you are based and how easy it is to get a place? Must admit snow this year has been epic!

regards,

Ivor.
snow conditions
I only managed 75 days this season in Europe & US which is way down on normal.

I have skied all the world but have allways wanted to go with this outfit http://www.himachal.com/content/start.html

As gas prices rise I can only see this getting more expensive Smile
snow report
stanton, my heart bleeds for you. rolling eyes
ski holidays
snowball wrote:

Niseko United (Annupuri, Higashiyama, Hirafu, Hanazono)
Moiwa
Chisenupuri
Rusutsu
Kiroro
Sapporo Kokusai
Kamui
Asahidake
Kurodake

Within the resort boundary off-piste skiing is allowed. However there are some permanently closed areas within the resort boundary, most notably at Niseko United.

Open-boundary policy. If the gate is open then you can exit from the resort and return back to the resort. If the gate is closed then you can't.

Ducking ropes is not on.

Sapporo Teine Highlands
Mt Racey
Alpha Resort Tomamu

Haven't skied at these resorts (yet) but my understanding is that they have the same rules as above.

Off-piste skiing in the resorts on Hokkaido which I've highlighted is a similar experience to skiing off-piste in the US and Canada.

The terrain in Hokkaido for the most part is not as steep as that on the main island of Honshu, but it's steep enough wink
ski holidays
Just found this: http://www.travelintelligence.com/travel-writing/1000520/Asia/Japan/Chubu/Japanese-Alps/Japan-Special-Ski-Round-up.html
and this from 2002 (obviously the time policy started to change): http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/niseko-magic-12.html
ski holidays
javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')Thanks to all the snowheads for their info. I have PM'd or will do so everyone whose given me advice. several choices I'd not even considered! You can alwys rely on Snowheads!! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy