Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Resort Had the Longest Season in 2007 / 2008?

Poster: A snowHead
Which resort in the Northern Hemisphere has had the longest season this year?

When did they open and close their non-glacier terrain?

I am thinking Val Thorens, Tignes, Turracher Höhe and Whistler have all done well over 150 days this season.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about cairngorm it opened at the beginning of december and is still open now!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hintertux - 365 days
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Schladming opened on 26 October 2007, giving it a good head start on lots of other European resorts. Not sure of the exact closing date, but it would have been around mid-April I think. Can anyone confirm?

Ischgl opened in November and is staying open until May 4th.

D
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, I'm not sure their non-glacier terrain survives 365 days, does it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold, How meaningful is the question? Tignes as I understand it only closes for "environmental" reasons - otherwise it could in theory remain open all year.

I skied Chamonix December 14 and expect to do so May 11 (a span of 149 days) and I seem to recall I could have skied the week previously had I wanted...

Surely a more meaningful question is how many or what resorts managed to have more extended seasons than normal. Ah, but I forget, they typically can't extend their seasons. Oh well... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, The season isn't over so how can we answer this, but as David Murdoch says official closing dates dictate season length more than snowfall. Kitzsteinhorn is another one with long opening (another 28cm fell over night).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val Thorens, Tignes, Hintertux, Kitsteinhorn and Whistler are glaciated.

Turracher Höhe, Arapahoe Basin, or Snowbird could be the winners.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tignes for me this year, skied there in October and before Spyderman can say it, going again on Friday snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe it was tdk6 who jogged this thought into my mind, but another contender just occurred to me:
http://www.levi.fi/pages/index.php?id=181&language=eng_win
And I forgot to mention Mammoth.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In Austria:
Turracher Hohe: 189 days
Schladming: 178 days
Obertauern: 170 days
Hochkar: 163 days
Obergurgl-Hochgurgl: 162 days
Sportgastein: 162 days

and do not forget Slovakia where Strbske Pleso (The High Tatras) will have 184 days if they close on 11 May.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where in Austria is Turracher Hohe?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Ross, http://www.turracherhoehe.at/en
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Benidorm or Malaga 365 days ..........................

I'll get my coat.
snow conditions
I skied in Avoriaz on about the 15th November; the resort closes tomorrow. 160ish?
snow conditions
As DH said at the top of the thread, Cairngorm (and for that matter, Nevis Range) are still open.
Cairngorm has a May Bank Holiday weekend bash organised, very cheap day passes, hog roast, fun & games.
The pistes are still white and there's some amazing spring off-piste to be had.
Come on Martin, show some solidarity for the old country...
ski holidays
Welcome to Snowheads, Hustler!
Apologies for not mentioning the fantastic conditions in Scotland; I hope many youngsters are up there getting a few more weekends in.
This season has been just what the Scottish resorts needed to counter the bad press, which has been painting them as dead and buried over the past couple of seasons.
latest report
Martin Bell, Scotland must have been good this year. I was walking in the Lake District with plenty of snow around me on the higher peaks only a couple of weeks ago.

If only we could have some certainty about Scottish conditions and more would travel there, particuarly from my part of the world.
snow report
kerekip, thanks for posting those figures. Interesting that because of the very early opening, Schladming at less than 1000m was open for more days than it's very close neighbour Obertauern, at 1700m ish. Impressive.

Agree Scotland has had a fab season and our easter weekend on Nevis and especially at Glencoe was fabulous. Unfortunately I think their PR team has to do a lot better with its positive press to counter all of the 'dead and buried' press from the past few years.

D
ski holidays
[quote="David Murdoch"]Whitegold, Tignes as I understand it only closes for "environmental" reasons - otherwise it could in theory remain open all year.

Sorry but what do you mean it closes for enviromental reasons??
latest report
Martin Bell wrote:
Val Thorens, Tignes, Hintertux, Kitsteinhorn and Whistler are glaciated.

Turracher Höhe, Arapahoe Basin, or Snowbird could be the winners.

Whistler (Blackcomb actually) opened around Nov 20th and is still open, until around 9th of June.

They open the glacier on Blackcomb after that.

The runs to the village were still open last week.
snow report
[quote="chect2000"]
David Murdoch wrote:
Whitegold, Tignes as I understand it only closes for "environmental" reasons - otherwise it could in theory remain open all year.

Sorry but what do you mean it closes for enviromental reasons??

Dunno what it means at Tignes, but lots of places in US/Canada close early-mid April because of animal migration paths.
snow conditions
gortonator, fair point, and talking of Canada I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Sunshine yet. They're going strong into May.
latest report
Tignes closes to preserve the glacier AFAIK
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
gortonator, fair point, and talking of Canada I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Sunshine yet. They're going strong into May.

Only because I'm too busy skiing/boarding there to post on here wink

As for animal migration paths I only have to step out of my front door to encounter that

http://www.solarfish.com/images/bear_0001.jpg

http://www.solarfish.com/images/bear_0002.jpg

http://www.solarfish.com/images/bear_0003.jpg

http://www.solarfish.com/images/bear_0004.jpg

http://www.solarfish.com/images/bear_0005.jpg
snow conditions
There are resorts that have been open longer than cairngorm this season I'm sure but 4th of December - 11th of May (i'm hoping for this weekend) is pretty impressive.

Could cairngorm take the award for longest season without any snow making?
snow conditions
Ski Club Website is stating that it's Ruka in Finland. October 14th to June 12th.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chect2000, only that I seem torecall that there's a "closure" at some point in the Autumn and taht this was triggered more from a PR point of view than anything else. i could, of course (and easily) be completely wrong.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Which resort in the Northern Hemisphere has had the longest season this year?

When did they open and close their non-glacier terrain?

I am thinking Val Thorens, Tignes, Turracher Höhe and Whistler have all done well over 150 days this season.

150 days is really no big deal. So many resorts open in mid/late November till mid/late May. That's 180 days. And the list is quite long...
snow conditions
morrison1984 wrote:

Could cairngorm take the award for longest season without any snow making?

Lots of great off piste skiing still available in Tignes which isn't reliant on snow making wink
snow report
Cairngorm wasn't continuous - it was shut on Christmas day, despite perfect weather and no wind, and Boxing Day - though they claimed that was due to the wind.
snow report
No snow making at Sunshine either, they close on the 19th May and opened on 15th November.
snow conditions
All good replies.

It looks, provisionally, like the winners could be:

1. Ruka, Finland = 243 days / 7 months
2. Blackcomb, Canada = 203 days / 6 months
snow report
Silver still going strong opened Dec 7th and will be open May 24/25th possibly longer if we get the 1000 riders, stayed open till 1st weekend of June in La Nina '97. Oh no snow making here either.
snow conditions
Engelberg Switzerland
Gesamtwinter (whole winter period)
(29.09.07 - 25.05.08
Gletschersaison (Glacier season)
(29.09.07 - 21.12.07
Hauptwintersaison (main season)
(22.12.07 - 07.03.08
Ostern-Frühlingssaison (Easter & Spring season)
(08.03.08 - 25.05.08
latest report
Ruka claims to be the resort with the longest seasons (non-glacier)
ski holidays
Some still open in the USA so who can say when the season total will be finalised?
ski holidays
so i may have missed this in my quick scan of the thread but i can't believe noone has said milton keynes
snow report
Just had 90cm of fresh on the Midi.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy