Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

extending outer leg...

Poster: A snowHead
I've noticed from pics from our recent pic that i probably extend my outside leg too much when putting a turn in.

This explains a kind of juddering sensation i sometimes get when carving high speed or steep turns - as the outside ski ultimately loses grip. What's the solution for this? Is it just to bend the knees more or is it a case of trying to lower my body down towards the skis.

It is hard to see it in the pic above, but i think that's what i am seeing.

bigger pic here
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
view from an armchair expert: bit difficult from that pic but you look like your outside leg is almost locked out so it probably is too straight. that said, you'd expect your outside leg to be extended at that point in the turn. however, as you cross the fall line and pressure builds up on your outside leg you should be looking to absorb that by allowing the ankle and knee to flex
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although on steep slopes your outside leg is naturally going to be a bit straighter, here it looks like you have too much weight on the inside, not enough on the outside. More weight on the outside should help it grip more.

The juddering can also be reduced by continuous and gradual absoprtion in the latter part of the turn, rather than absorbing quickly then sticking in that position.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stiff leg = juddering skis. Once the turn has started, you need to regulate pressure on your skis. This is done by flexing ankles, knees and hips. Limit of flex is how much your ankles can bend - once you have reached this point flexing just your kness willl just put on the back of the ski.

When you have finished flexing, and before you wantr to go the other way, you can start to extend again....use this extension to bring your hips forward along the length of your ski so that you start the next turn on the front of the ski.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, wat ski, and beanie1, says...

try not to push or increase pressure at the bottom of the turn but instead think about flexing or sinking into the lower part of the turn to minimize or soak up pressure build up which can cause chatter.

dont think too much about bending the knee but rather flexing the ankle, if you flex the ankles the knees will bend naturally.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
shoogly, dont think too much about bending the knee but rather flexing the ankle, if you flex the ankles the knees will bend naturally.

now we're getting somewhere. I understand this and will think more about the ankles than the knees next time out.

thanks for all the replies, really helpfull* Very Happy

I think! - but only time will tell wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly wrote:
I've noticed from pics from our recent pic that i probably extend my outside leg too much when putting a turn in.

This explains a kind of juddering sensation i sometimes get when carving high speed or steep turns - as the outside ski ultimately loses grip. What's the solution for this? Is it just to bend the knees more or is it a case of trying to lower my body down towards the skis.

It is hard to see it in the pic above, but i think that's what i am seeing.

The more you extend that leg, the more you need to lift the inside shoulder and break at the waist towards the outside leg.

What I am seeing is a long leg and a banked upper body.

EDIT: Aim for the sensation of pinching your own waist, from the inside.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, none expert advice; you might be extending that leg too quickly. Try to be more progressive. The outside leg should be at full extension at the same point in time as the inside leg has reached maximum compression. e.i as you reach the moment where you cannot pressure the ski any more. With the juddering, that suggests that you aren't applying pressure in the correct way. But it is hard to tell from one picture.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The outside leg should be at full extension at the same point in time as the inside leg has reached maximum compression

ummmm no, you shouldn't ever be at max or mins, especially when skiing in steep or variable terrain. you need to have at least some remaining flex or extend to cope with changes in terrain or you end up in the locked position we see in the photo.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret,
Quote:
you shouldn't ever be at max or mins

Well, yes and no. Sometimes you would want to get right on the limit.

http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/ce432/Erik-Bode%20Miller.jpg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the pic below is from a steeper run... is my body still not upright enough in this. At least the locked out leg is not evident in this shot.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hmmm.. in an ideal world, what don't I like in that 1st turn. It doesn't look comfortable and maybe even in the survival stages.

I'd try and go into the turn looser and with the downhill leg less flexed (straight ) which the uphill leg should follow.
making sure a better body shape didn't come from bending at the waist only.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, if by "bending at the waist" you mean 'bending forward at the waist', fully agreed.

shoogly, same comment I made above.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex,

yes..whole body wants to drive forward, so a better knee/ankle angle should achieve that, IMV
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All good tips.

so i need to angle my knees and ankles more, get the body forward, don't extend as much, relax a bit and do it all a bit more progressively rather than one sudden movement.

thanks all - much appreciated.

Very Happy
snow conditions
ski holidays
shoogly,

I wouldn't worry about it too much...snap shots of one position might not tell the whole story and the snow looked great.. Laughing
snow conditions
shoogly wrote:
so i need to angle my knees and ankles more, get the body forward, don't extend as much, relax a bit and do it all a bit more progressively rather than one sudden movement. Very Happy

But apart from that it's fine !! Wink

To answer your first post, the juddering on steeper ground could well come from having a 'straight' leg and the 1st photo looks as if you could be 'bracing' against it, however it's not so apparent in the second.

Juddering when carving at high speed may also be partly due to the big twip tips you are riding, and may be less of an issue for you if you jumped on some race/piste ski's.

But to echo JT,
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much...snap shots of one position might not tell the whole story and the snow looked great.. Laughing

Now if you have some video........ Very Happy
ski holidays
Nothing wrong with a bit of extended leg
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/956478.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A623588BDF904EAC74A40A659CEC4C8CB6
......and excessive tip lead as well Cool

I tried to look like that in Glencoe but ended up looking like this

I see we have a similar style, Shoogly snowHead
ski holidays
Fishwins, credit where it's due: you appear to have more angulation of the upper body to accompany that extended leg. Your inside shoulder is higher up off the snow. If you click on the thumbnail I posted above, it might be clearer what I mean.
ski holidays
yeah... that looks better than me Sad

he he... at least it's a good illustration of what i'm doing wrong. I'm thinking getting the body more upright will naturaly create more pressure on the downhill leg with less effort.

Shock)
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:

he he... at least it's a good illustration of what i'm doing wrong. I'm thinking getting the body more upright will naturaly create more pressure on the downhill leg with less effort.

Shock)

Careful: too much too soon and you might wind up hating your current skis. Little Angel

"progressive" advice above applies for lateral position too.
ski holidays
What I find works best to stop the juddering (and accompanying quad burn) is to consciously unweight the inside ski - you need to pressure the downhill outside ski, but do so by centring your weight over that ski rather than pushing it out and away from you with a stiff leg (which overpowers the edge of the ski).

So hips and body downhill - avoid leaning upslope - and flex the ankles to stay in contact with the front of the boot as you finish off the turn.

Dragging the outside pole though the turn as an exercise can help ensuring the right angulation - provided you hold your poles at a good height (level with belly button, 30 cm in front, 30 cm out). Cock your wrist back to engage the pole, don't drop the shoulder.
snow report
MartynT, welcome to snowHeads. That's an impressive resurrection of an old thread!
snow conditions
shoogly, We need a current photo to see how it's changed over 4 years ! I'm hoping to see a more fashionable wink Toofy Grin
latest report
Tks., wasn't aware it was an old post, google'd "juddering skis" proud of myself for fixing a long standing bug bear. Result of which is a new found enthusiasm for skiing versus boarding - but now a daily dilemma, board or ski ?!
snow report
Lol... Welcome back old thread!!! There is a much more recent thread on edge judder, but I can safely say that more triangulation and relaxing a bit on steeper slopes has gone a long way to moving my skiing on. Still happens sometimes when I'm tired or not on it on any given day. Will try and find a pic when I'm not posting from my phone.

One thing this thread has highlighted though, is that I still ski in jacket and pants that are over 4 seasons old!!! Need to remedy that!

Really useful thread resurrection though. Very Happy
ski holidays
Have I just invented something with the use of the word triangulation? It was predictive text doing its thing with angulation Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly, sorry, finger trouble on my part - I had meant to say "a more fashionable hat" - not that I've got any room to talk Embarassed
ski holidays
I had a great lesson in Zell in March. My instructor emphasised the positioning of the hands during the turn. He told us to keep the outside hand lower than the inside (have i got that right - easier to just do it than to think about it!).

I guess this helped us to angulate more and engage the ski edges. It worked for me and i felt so much more in control on steeper slopes.
ski holidays
To be brutally honest, A photo is not a great indicator of how you ski and not a good place from where to gain feedback. Video is much better.

There are many photos of great skiers and world cup racers that show them in terrible positions but these are only momentary and transitionary. Sometimes, the best WC run can have some apparently horrendous skiing if only some frames are looked at.
ski holidays
Philbo wrote:
To be brutally honest, A photo is not a great indicator of how you ski and not a good place from where to gain feedback. Video is much better.

There are many photos of great skiers and world cup racers that show them in terrible positions but these are only momentary and transitionary. Sometimes, the best WC run can have some apparently horrendous skiing if only some frames are looked at.
agree with all of this, have taken quite a few pics of racers, while they look great in motion skiing you can capture some very different looking still shots of the same run especially during transitions, some of the best and worse pictures depending on your perspective can be captured during these moves.
ski holidays
no angulation from what i see, your out side ski will always lose its edge, try touching your outside pole on the snow, if done correctly it will bring your shoulders more level with the slope and this in turn will help you build the pressure up in the skis by flexing in to the turn gradually, keepin you in control and skis on there edges,
snow conditions
shoogly, Until this year my jacket was 11 years and about 600 ski days old, my trousers not much younger although they are still in use!!
snow report
under a new name, good for you. Very Happy That orange jacket in the pic above is an Adidas goretex softshell. I got it off a rack in TKMaxx for £25 and it still looks brand new.

Only comes out when I don't really need decent weather protection though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy