Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hydration systems. Why?

Poster: A snowHead
I seem to have acquired two down the years still can't work out why I should use one. Do they work any better than water bottles other than the fact that they get mouldy and can give you an excuse to get off work when you feel unwell?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T Bar, Had one, used it once and then took the water thingy out and use it now to carry chocolate and a hip flask, much more valuable. Anyway high in the cold mountains people overestimate the amount of water they need.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like a lot of skiing "essentials" they appeal to the well-heeled gadget freak. I've always managed with a water bottle, never been skiing so hard that I couldn't possibly stop for 30 seconds to fish the bottle out, have a swig, and put it away again. I'm obviously not hardcore enough!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the ice perv, I've run marthons and drank less water running one than I have seen some people cruising blues and reds drink in a day Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I must be a well-heeled gadget freak, then. I find mine very useful. My mouth gets very dry a lot of times when I don't want to be heaving my sack off to get at a bottle. If you are not similarly afflicted, you don't need one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller's guide to skiing:

If I do it, you should too
If I don't do it, you shouldn't either

rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller, no they don't...especially not with 12 pints of Mutzig on board from the night before... wink

They're also particularly useful while touring/climbing as then you don't need to stop everyone everytime you're thirsty. For similar, if inverted, reasons really hard core involves catheters...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch,
Surely one bottle could serve both purposes. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't use one because I believe its a faff to keep clean etc etc...but as I have been de-hydrated on the hill a few times, this is an issue I'll have to get round.
I prefer water bottles but you should drink before you feel you need to, IMV
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
While I consider them a necessity for mountain biking, I find them totally redundant for recreational skiing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster, I found my (middle-aged) endurance off-piste significantly improved once I started skiing with one, and since you are wearing a pack, you might as well have a hydration sac. Also as David Murdoch implies - good on the rare occasion I skin. Twix bars are my other essential fix.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, Ah thats not nice Laughing Laughing On a cold snowy slope no one is going to die of dehydration, touring is different. Same as lardy people running around Roath Park on a Sunday morning with bottles of water in their hand. Pointless and overstating thier energy output.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
I don't want to be heaving my sack off to get at a bottle.

In the middle of a slope Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use one, little sips throughout the day, ie on a lift, in a lift queue, work fine for me. Burger all cleaning, I dry it out on a radiator, and occasionally clean the tube with a long thin cleaning brush...

I think I've used Miltons on it once or twice.

Much quicker than undoing 2 rucksack straps, swinging off back, opening, finding bottle, swigging, then replacing.......

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My husband is happy to carry a 3 litre pack Shocked as he sees very clear benefits to drinking more water to help keep tired muscles at bay. I also see the benefits but not happy to carry hydration pack, prefering to drink extra water at the beginning and end of the day.
Both boys have them now too and they drink much more because of it.
Good all round but guess who has to nag to get them clean, they can't understand how bacteria can love them too rolling eyes
ski holidays
Lou, Tell the hubby that bathing in water is just a benefical as carrying a load of water round all day Toofy Grin . He probably needs loads of water from sweating because he is carrying a load of weight around on his back Confused
snow report
T Bar wrote:
David Murdoch,
Surely one bottle could serve both purposes. Shocked

You may jest, but I have seen a catheter bag (preservative free type) used as a hydration pack , converted by a couple of cheapskate pharmacists doing the Coast to Coast cycle route. Filled with an energy drink, it did not look particularly appealing.
ski holidays
I do use a bladder occasionally,

the up side is-
ease of use which means your far more likely to use it and nice as you go along and no need to stop.

The down sides are-
freezing
unexpectedly running out of water
the valve can get dirty or leak down your jacket

I have found it really good on cold early starts from huts when I get it filled with a hot (not too hot) drink usually blackcurrant or lemon, as well as keeping my back warm, its a great psychological boost to have a warming drink
latest report
thefatcontroller, Laughing yep but it's gone by early afternoon! It was a ski instructor friend of ours who used to stress the importance of drinking extra water. I have to agree but happy just to nick some of hubby's now & again.

Helen Beaumont, hmm but trouble is that many catheter bags don't have valves to empty bag now, so controlling flow could be an issue wink
Don't think I could bring myself to drink to drink from one, even a sterile one.......
snow report
Lou, If I drank the amount he is drinking I would need p*ss breaks every 15 mins Laughing . I struggle greatly with heat and do sweat profusely when exercising but even when skiing hard I don't feel thirsty. Mandatory pint at lunchtime but have bottles of perrier in place we are staying for end of day but rarely feel thirsty on the slopes Confused
snow conditions
Lou, this one had a drainage tap. Nor could I, but back then, Camelbaks were extremely expensive.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, I'll get you a catheter bag and see what a difference it'll make (and a leg-bag too, so you don't have to stop too often) Laughing
latest report
jbob,
that sounds like a good idea. I'll maybe stick to water bottles for my skiing but if I ever get to tour start using the bladder.
ski holidays
jbob, Freezing can be prevented by lowing back the water in the tube - water will freeze even inside an insulated tube, in my experience.

thefatcontroller's point about the weight of water you are carrying is a very good one. A full pack can weigh a lot, and I rarely full mine fully. If I am going piste skiing only on a cold day, I carry very little - since I won't need much. Quite a different story if I am going off-piste skiing and some climbing is in the offing, or in hot weather. And yes, I do appreciate that sweat when climbing is in part caused by the weight of water being carried. Experience teaches you how much water you are likely to need.
ski holidays
For piste skiing I just can't see the point. Mountaineering, warm weather hillwalking, mountainbiking etc are a different matter - where energy output and sweating/moisture loss are a major feature a hydration system enables "little but often" moisture replacement. I do think some poeple overdo the amount of liquid you need to take in during the day (and overstate the diuretic effects of beer and caffeine). I have happily completed 3 day via ferratta trips in the Dolomites in summer, with 2 litres of water in total, and just beer in the evening and coffee at breakfast in huts.
ski holidays
RobinS, fair enough if you don't see the point but many people just don't drink enough, skiing or otherwise. If someone's prepared to carry water in a pouch as opposed to in a bottle in rucksack or whatever, and it's more convienient, I don't see the problem? Each to their own, but 2 litres of water a day is about the mnimum required in a normal day for most adults, before any physical exertion.
ski holidays
i've used one for years now. first got it for mountain biking and it's brilliant for that. You can drink on the climbs and just keep on going. Also used it a few times when skiing but eventually went back to just drinking from the bottle on lifts or on breaks at the top of the hills while taking in the scenery. So, i'd say they are much more beneficial to mountain bikers than skiers.

Very Happy
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
T Bar, Had one, used it once and then took the water thingy out and use it now to carry chocolate and a hip flask, much more valuable. Anyway high in the cold mountains people overestimate the amount of water they need.

Different people have different needs. I have always tended to drink rather more water than the average person.

I always carried a water bottle or two, and rarely finished the day with anything left. Then I was given a camelbak for christmas two years ago, and since I almost always ski with a small rucsack anyhow, I found the camelbak very much more convenient than water bottles.

It is only a 1.5 litre one, so doesn't weigh too much, but I do sometimes need to refill it during the day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I go through about 2-4 litres a day great to have there if you need it and no grief of having to stop and undo bags etc? Diffrent strokes fro diffrent folks I guess?
snow conditions
When I first got my bladder I used it for hill walking. I was amazed at how much better I felt using it. In actual fact, I was drinking less than if I used bottles yet I felt much better and fresher when using it. I think I tended to only drink water from bottles when I was starting to feel really thirsty which is the wrong thing to do because if you're getting very thirsty your body is starting to dehydrate. Of course it was linked with having to stop and take a bottle out etc which is a hassle. With the bladder I have a few sips here and there, never have to worry about stopping and am obviously much better hydrated compared to what I used to be with carrying bottles.
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:
i've used one for years now. first got it for mountain biking and it's brilliant for that. ... So, i'd say they are much more beneficial to mountain bikers than skiers.

Yep, and saves drinking from a bottle attached to frame thats plastered in mud and horse poo.
latest report
Used one this year for the first time...
I ended up with a terrible back the day after my return from Andorra last year.
My wife's always nagging me to drink more but never really paid much attention before until then. But when I asked the doctor in France about why a suden bad back (it was a muscular issue) when there were no obvious reasons he said there were several possibilities and the 1st one he listed was dehydration.
So for less than £20 I picked up an hydration pack at Decathlon. It carries 2L plus doubles up as a small back pack. I hardly know it is there even when full, I drink a lot more than I ever use to because it's so much more convenient than a bottle, and I felt a lot better for it. All my mates were constantly asking if they could have a sip and went round to buy their own...
Can you do without one? certainly...
But why would you at that price and especially if you're going to carry a backpack anyway..Just makes life a lot easier...
I feel mine with energy drink/lucozade and it works a treat on hangovers as well...
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
thefatcontroller, no they don't...especially not with 12 pints of Mutzig on board from the night before... wink

12 pints of Mutzig? If anyone's even alive after that much, nevermind on the mountain, I'm impressed Laughing
snow conditions
here's a good trick for you camelback users. After a night on Mutzig, if like me you are afflicted with heartburn as just deserves. A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in with the water dampens it down a treat. It also has to added benifit of cleaning the inside when we - inevitably - leave the water in for a couple of days. (much the same cleaning technique as our mothers employed to clean the tea stains out of the pot) tasted a bit weird to start with but if your a sufferer then its worth it.
ski holidays
achilles, I guess I am one too Embarassed

I have asthma and my inhalers give me a very dry mouth, that is before any skiing is done. After my ski trip in November, I really struggled with dehydration, it was catch 22, I needed my ventolin to help me breathe in the thin air, that then made me thirsty. I didn't drink enough the first day and felt quite ill.

So this time, I picked up a 1.5ltr hydration pack for just £9.95 from Tesco and it was perfect, holding just the right amount and it also had a few little pockets as well. I did get some funny looks as I slurped away Shocked but it meant I could have a drink without opening any zips, opening bottles, removing my gloves or even letting go of my ski poles Very Happy
snow conditions
pippivixen, Is the bladder and drinking tube easily removable from the Tesco's hydration pack?

Is it this one http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=100-0611?
ski holidays
I can see the point if ......

1) Ski Touring.

2) Skiing hard from lift start to lift stop and not wanting to carry multiple bottles around or waist ski time in restaurant queues.

3) A recreational skier who doesn't ski hard but gets slaughtered every night on the beer and would benefit from many litres of water to fight against dehydration.
snow report
PisteHead, Thats the one. Where you see the 2 black zips, that is where the bladder is, it comes out for cleaning very easily indeed and the drinking tube is just threaded through the webbing.

I used it a bit before the holiday, to see if I could get the hang of it and if I felt too much of a numpty Embarassed and found it very easy to clean, after emptying it, I just rinsed it through with a mild sterilising fluid, then rinsed it again in the morning with just water. It is also very easy to fill.
snow conditions
I don't really see where the idea comes from that you need to clean the bladder all the time. If you only put water in, then there is nothing for bacteria to grown on, so no need to clean all the time. I just rinse and dry mine after each use and it's fine.

But if I'm using energy powder in it as well (which I when on the MTB), then I agree then it needs a period clean to get rid of the furry bits. rolling eyes
latest report
RobW, I used the SIS powders, a new flavour for each day rolling eyes well, I had to try them all !! and each time I gave the bladder a rinse through with a sterilising fluid, but the times I have used it for just water, I rinse it through with boiling water and left it to dry. I did find it took a good few initial rinses to get rid of the plastic taste before I used it for the first time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy