Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airport to resort train access??

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I was in Zermatt earlier this year and loved the airport to resort access by trrain. Is there any other resorts that are accessable by train direct from the airport? (non european resorts are also considered).

I am particularly interested in resorts suitable for intermediate skiers with a good apres ski.

Thanks in advance.

Sun.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sunnek, by direct, are you meaning a single train without changing?

If not, then many of the resorts in Switzerland and Austria can be conveniently transferred to by train. This season I have done Zell am See (direct train from Salzburg or Innsbruck) and Wengen (several changes from Zurich, Basel or Geneva). Engelberg, Davos/Klosters, Kitzbuhel are a couple of others that I can think of with a train station.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No no I am not that fussy. One or two changes are ok. I am really looking for resorts with train stations.....like Zermatt, you get off the train and you are right in the middle of the vilage.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sunnek, There are trains up the Zillertal as far as Mayrhofen.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few more options for Switzerland:

Arosa
St Moritz
Leysin
Gstaad
Wengen
Grindelwald
Murren (a cable car is involved!!)
Andermatt
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Diablerets
Villars
Crans Montana (funicular from Sierre)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
sunnek, There are trains up the Zillertal as far as Mayrhofen.

Yes, with just one change from either Innsbruck or Salzburg - although you do need a bus from Innsbruck airport to the train station.

Schladming is yet another Austrian resort with direct trains from Salzburg.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sunnek, there are loads, if you are coming from Ireland you could try Friedrichshafen to St Anton, train from the airport to the middle of the resort or Salzburg to Bad Gastein, there are absolutely loads in Austria and Switzerland, Italy or France not so good but I did Venice to Val Gardena by train and bus this winter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, Or 2 changes from Munich - no need for bus Smile (ok - it's a slighgtly longer journey)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The bus at Innsbruck isn't a major hassle. Door to door, Airport to Train Station.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St Anton is on a main train line. From MUC it takes a while and requires a change or two, but perfectly doable, and it's no distance from Innsbruck (and there seems to be a bus from Innsbruck airport to the main station). Kitzbuhel is about 3 hours IIRC from MUC, with a couple of easy changes, very pleasant trip. Garmisch is a short train trip from MUC, one change.

I can recommend train form London to St Anton (change at Brussels and Innsbruck, overnight about 20 hours door to door), not much use from Ireland, I guess.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 27-04-08 11:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd add
St Johann i. Tirol (and from there a short taxi to Ellmau/Soll),
Briancon,
Les Arcs (via funicular from Bourg),
La Plagne (short bus from Aime)

I think you can also get to Cortina D'Ampezzo by train, and it's definitely possible to get to Val Gardena by train then taxi...but I couldn't honestly recommend it.

On the non-european front, there are quite a few Japanese reorts you can get to by Shinkansen (or cheaper train) from Tokyo...but that's maybe not what you were after Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Virtually everywhere in Switzerland if you are prepared to use the Post Bus to connect with the train, the other good thing about Switzerland is that the connections from the airports are pretty good.
Briancon has a station but you have to watch which airport you fly to as the line comes up from the south and it takes a long time to get there from the north by train.
Chamonix is on the line.
Bardonnechia has a a station I think.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Verbier (le Chable station is just at tha bottom of the main Verbier cable car). Same first train as Zermatt - just a different side valley.
And yes, St Anton.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As you're from Ireland I guess you're looking for airports served by Ryanair or Aerlingus. Salzburg does not have a train connection to the airport though bus connections to Salzburg train station are good. Munich has a station in the airport, very efficient connections with many Austrian resorts although some distance away. Also, DB (German Rail) can be very expensive. As already mentioned, Friedrichshafen is a great gateway for resorts in the west of Austria. Cheap (Ryanair) flights, train station at airport, couple of hours to St. Anton or less to the much underrated Montafon valley. Return fares less then €40.
ski holidays
Saas Fee, of course.
snow report
Re. Snowball's post: I'm just back from Verbier - by train from Geneva airport. Excellent service and really easy. Journey time about 3 hrs, including 1 change.

You change at Martigny for Le Chable. The gondola goes from within 50metres of Le Chable train station up to the middle of Verbier. If outside gondola hours (08.40-18.30) there are hotels in Le Chable. We stayed in Hotel L'Escale at Le Chable - (basic B&B hotel but ok) 5 mins walk from the station/gondola.
ski holidays
Quote:

Saas Fee, of course.

It's only a train as far as Visp. The last 40 minutes is by bus
snow report
The Zurich to Innsbruck route stops at St Anton if I remember correctly. This is a stunning route! We went this way to get to Solden. Got off the train at Oetz and from their you can either get the bus or a taxi.
snow conditions
sunnek, Switzerland ( although I hate agreeing with Elizabeth B, too often wink ) but 'Genuine' train access' does not apply to many resorts listed above.

Geneva and Zurich airports are the best gateways imho ....

Many Valais resorts ( including Verbier) do not have direct train acess and the Post-Bus(es) run infrequently ime ... Try Chateau d'Oex/Rougemont/Saanen/Gstaad/Schonried/Saanenmoser/Zweisimmen ( aka Gstaad Super-ski) for the quickest 'pure train' connexions ... but pick your time and accomodation well !
snow conditions
Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated.

Enda.
snow report
I've just ended a rather fruitless search of trying to get out of Val Thorens by bus + train.

It can be done. But only one possible possible combination a day, at rather inconvinient time. So I gave up.

So, it's not just trains getting there, but also how frequent.

The advantage of many of the Swiss & Austrian resorts are, the trains are not just for skiers. Shocked That means it runs all day long, with many options instead of just one or two which quit running as soon as skier traffic slows down...
latest report
I've learned that you can really improve the frequency and easy of getting around French rail by not looking at direct routes. In VT, someone was trying to get to GVA from Moutiers and the direct route plan is a crap 3 trains a day with long waits at the changes (up to 3)

It's easier to take the more frequent train to Lyon and then catch one of the very regular services to Geneva from there. You have a much wider range of times to travel and the travel time is very similar.

Outside the box people, outside the box wink

Add to that, I'll not do the overnight in a couchette again, it would have been more comfortable on one of the many empty reclining seats and there has to be a train from Lille to avoid that Paris trek rolling eyes

edit: Lille to BSM is via Paris Nord and Austerlitz rolling eyes
snow conditions
sunnek,

The Swiss will also try and sync the post bus..if an option..with the main line train station and as these buses and trains run very much to time...you can
book and travel with quite a degree of confidence.
snow report
Masque wrote:
Add to that, I'll not do the overnight in a couchette again, it would have been more comfortable on one of the many empty reclining seats...

I found the journey quite pleasant, a lot less frenetic than flying. It'll certain feature in my travel plans again in the future.
snow report
Quote:

Outside the box people, outside the box

"Outside the box" of France is Switzland!Wink
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, in your state you could have slept head down in the toilet . . . oh wait . . . wink
latest report
Masque, cruel, but not without credibility. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy