Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Want to become a ski instructor in my gap year. Anyone else? Need advice.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to become a ski instructor for my gap year and hope to work as a ski instructor throughout part of it. If I don't want to spend something like £6000 on the organised gap year courses then would learning through BASI be my best option?

I could do the Level 1 course at a dry slope fairly local to me and then hopefully gain the 35 hours ski school experience need there aswell for the level 2 course. Does volunteering count towards this?

They run a level 2 course in hintertux for £500, and this is the course I need to be able to instruct on a mountain.

http://www.basi.org.uk/module_info.aspx?mid=2

Any idea how much I could expect to pay on top of the £500 for the course? I would imagine about another £600-£750 for flights and accomodation during the 12 days?

Also is anyone interested in doing the same thing? Or could anyone inform me of where I could get in touch with people who want to do the same? I really would like the experience of the organised courses to be with other gap year students, but I could never see myself or my family coming up with £6000. Do most of the students who go on these trips have well off families, or is there a sensible way to finance them?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you think that you'll be using the qualification after you've finished it?

I can recommend doing a Gap Year season (as I've just finished), but I wouldn't personally go down the instructor route because you don't get many months on the slopes with it and it is very expensive for what it looks like. But the main reason is that I can't see myself needing to use it in the future after a degree etc.

To put it into perspective, I've done 5 1/2 months here in Tignes for ~£4000 that I earnt in the summer before I went away. For the same money you're looking at about a month or less for a course like you mention.

Although at the end of the day it is up to you and what you want to do. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Information here:

http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/Forum/An-instructors-life/ThreadID/25085/ShowThread.aspx

take a look at what I wrote esp. the part about working & learning in the US
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scotlandskiman, welcome to snowHead

As Spikyhedgehog asks, will you ever use your ticket again in the future or is it just for a gap year experience? If you don't plan to use it instructor tickets look great on the CV but... Why not do a season as a chalet boy? You don't need to save any money before you go, ski all winter and come home with a couple of grand (if you save hard and don't drink it all) that you can do something fun with over the summer... like more skiing. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scotlandskiman, As the others have said; if you don't see yourself working long term as an instructor then it's better to do your winter another way. Us full time instructors hardly ever get to ski, but a friend stacks shelves in the local supermarket and boards 4-5 hours most days! If, on the other hand, you're thinking of a career in ski teaching, then good luck to you. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scotlandskiman, Welcome to snowHead 's there has been several recent threads on this topic. Go to the forum search button and try a search using the terms GAP AND year AND instructor... good luck to you!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scotlandskiman, welcome to Snowheads!

From your post it sounds like you do want to work as an instructor, at least in your Gap year. After that there are also loads of opportunities to work in your holidays for companies such as Interski, great way to get to the mountains if you're a student on a budget!

However, I'm pretty sure that if you want to go on and do your Level 2 you have to do 70 hours shadowing - the 35 hours is just to get your L1 qualification which only qualifies you to work on artifical slopes in the UK.

Also in your first season as an instructor, particularly if you're young and only just qualified, I think it's unlikely you'll make enough money to cover your living costs for the season, so it will end up costing you. You will need to do lots of networking to get a job. (One of the pluses of the Gap year courses is that they often have a close affiliation with a ski school who'll get to know you and be happy to give you work afterwards.) However, if you're happy to just get work in the busier weeks it will leave you with lots more time to ski, and you could always try and get a bar job or similar to supplement your income.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scotlandskiman, Try Wengen (for work) - it would appear that they're not too particular about qualifications there (sorry Ronald). Short season though, and you probably won't work much. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do want to work as an instuctor for my gap year, but I probably wouldn't take it any further than that. So are you saying that I could apply to a resort with no ski instruction qualifications and end up with a job as an instructor? I wouldn't mind stacking shelfs or being a chalet boy as long as I could still ski. The only problem is would I have a good chance of meeting anyone out there to ski with? If I was an instructor I would already be part of group and get to know people that way.

Is doing the BASI courses worth my time, if I will only be ski instructing for 1 year? I'm trying to find out all my options. My ultimate goal really is to be able to travel and ski for a lot of my gap year, and to meet knew people while doing so. This is why the gap year courses appeal a lot to me, but I can't come up with the cash.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scotlandskiman,

Quote:

My ultimate goal really is to be able to travel and ski for a lot of my gap year, and to meet knew people while doing so.

Rather than going down the instructor route for 1 year only and spending money on doing that, (as easiski has agreed, full time instructors don't get a great deal of free ski time anyway) then from what you've said you may be better off applying for a job as chalet staff as parlor has suggested in somewhere with a long season from early December to May like Tignes or Val D'Isere for example.

I've just come back from Val D'Isere incidentally where we stayed by chance in a Mark Warner chalethotel and from chatting to one or two of the staff there, it appears that they go skiing once the morning jobs are done every day pretty much and have one day off a week to ski all day. I don't think they get paid very much but all of their food and accomodation is paid for and they get seasonnaire prices in town when they go out or something (not too sure on the details of this). That particular chalet hotel had a very high number of young staff, many of them pre or slightly post university and in Val D'Isere there were 3 other Mark Warner chalet hotels with similar numbers of staff as the hotel we stayed in so there would be plenty of people who you would meet who are all in the same boat as you with the same objectives.

Apart from MW of course there are a whole load of other tour operators that are looking for staff for their winter away. Have you looked at the Natives website www.natives.co.uk
where there is lots of info available for people considering working and/or living in a ski resort. If you want to ski all year then you could also consider ski resorts in the Southern Hemisphere for when we have our UK summer and they have their winter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spot on advice VolklAttivaS5.

Quote:
So are you saying that I could apply to a resort with no ski instruction qualifications and end up with a job as an instructor?

Yes in the bigger resorts in the US
e.g. Vail Inc. at Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail or Beaver Creek in Colorado.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You would only be with the little kids though with no qualifications in these resorts, as I understand it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scotlandskiman, I would support the comments above. I know several people who have done seasons working in ski resorts (my son has done two and plans to do more whilst doing his Ph D) and none of them have ended up without lots of people to ski (and do other things) with.

The course costs a lot of money and would only get you a very short way up the ladder of ski instructor qualification.

As someone who has done a lot of top level graduate recruitment I would also say that having worked your way through a season, learning to work in a team with others running a chalet, and doing other independent things under your own steam could be a lot more impressive for a future employer than having an organised course, with subsequent "placements" found for you, paid for by family generosity!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scotlandskiman, as others have said.....if you have no plans to teach beyond your gap year, then look for something else. Meeting people won't be a problem, and you'll get more "fun" ski time. You have to have a lot of patience to spend a season on the nursery slope - most of it walking up and down rather than on skis. Go with a tour op and work in a chalet or a hotel. There will be no end of fun to be had, and it won't cost you anything (as long as you don't spend more that you earn!!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scotlandskiman, If you want to teach..the L2 (old BASI 3) is what you should aim for. Do the L1 locally and then work toward the L2 in Hintertux. You'll teach children most of the time. Given where you are, GAP year course not value for money. Note that the L2 is not easy.

Having a language (French/German) will help too.

If you want to ski...rather than teach, do something else.
snow conditions
scotlandskiman, you can get a job at whistler blackcomb without a qualification, and they will train you (for free) all season long. You will get your CSIA level 1 straight away (cheap course/exam) unless you really can't ski.

The season here is mid nov - end may, instructors are usually working with paying client from early/mid dec through mid april.

Free training means its cheaper to do everything as well. "new" BASI 1 + 2 = about £900 if memory serves, CSIA 1, 2 , 3 course and exam is under that, and CSIA 3 is ISIA standard. For CSIA 1 + 2 your are looking at about $800, so only just more than the BASI 1 course in the UK

Get yourself onto the BUNAC website and get a Canadian work VISA!
latest report
well it seems going down the BASI route isnt a good idea, seeing as I dont see ski instructing as a long term career. Althrough it is a possibilty I could continue for a few more years as I really havn't decided on my choices for university. Although I do have an unconditional offer that I will accept because I hear it helps with visa applications.

I'll look into working in whistler and any other resorts where I can start work without qualification. Wheres the best place to start?

Pual could you give me any advice about applying for the job? Would now be a good time to get in touch? Send them an email or something?

Thanks for all the help so far guys, its been really helpful to read what you all have to say.
snow report
You can get a visa to work in Canada through the BUNAC programme. Apply early as they run out quickly.

Unless things have changed in the past 12 months then working for Whistler or Blackcomb snowsports schools without a recognised instructor qualification is NOT possible.

Showing up, taking your CSIA/CASI Level 1 course and exam and then applying for work is.

Is that correct paulhothersall?
ski holidays
scotlandskiman,

As a 1st year staff Whistler Blackcomb Ski School (aka WB, "evil empire", intrawest etc) will NOT sponsor a work VISA for you, they rely on getting your own. In subsequent years, and due to recent designation of Ski Instructors as "scarce staff" in British Columbia getting sponsored is possible.

Mike Pow, that position jas changed, WB do want you to take your CISA Level 1 as soon as possible. If you do not get it they don't just sack you, but you are basically going to be baby sitting 3-5 year olds until you do. Until then they are "supervised training" you. So they hire people before the Level 1, and also offer people who pass the option of applying for a job.

CSIA Level 1 pretty much guarantees that you are working for the kids/teens part of ski school, unless you have LOTS of previous teaching experience. Your supervisor will ski with you before first lessons and judge what sort of level you can teach to (i.e. not complete beginners if you can ski well).

WB also want you to have a criminal record check as you are likely to work unsupervised with kids at some point in the season, even if nominally you work in the "adults" part of ski school. While they can do it from this end, it costs both time and money to get an agency to do it for you. Go to your local police station and get them to give you the application form or to do it for you in the UK. Its either free or upto £10 depending on your local police force.

BUNAC are also going to tell you need one of these AND that they want it as part of the application process. Whilst strictly they don't, they send it to the Canadian Embassy anyway. DON'T send them your original, send them a photocopy, and make a couple of copies for yourself.

As a "student" you are entitled to a 1 year work VISA that is not subject to quota restrictions. BUNAC will want to see a copy of your offer letter from uni to process you through on this option. If you want to do another season, you either need to get sponsored or use your "under 30" work VISA option, and this is the one that has a quota restriction. I believe that all the ones for this year have gone, and next year is already filling up

Make sure you apply to BUNAC soon as otherwise they start talking about NEXT years VISA's which are only valid from Jan 1st 2009. One issued this summer will mean you can come here whenever. Most jobs are hired in October, and skiing starts in November.

Hiring for next season starts now for returning staff, and May/June for experienced instructors. "New" instructors (to instructing not WB) are only hired in October.

If you have a work VISA getting work in the season is so easy its not funny. Every single place in town is pretty much short staffed all the time. Even without a work VISA its still possible to get work.....

Oh and the bike park opens in 3 weeks, and the season goes on here into June!
snow conditions
paulhothersall, do you know if the work visa process is different/easier/harder for US citizens?
snow conditions
scotlandskiman wrote:
I do want to work as an instuctor for my gap year, but I probably wouldn't take it any further than that. So are you saying that I could apply to a resort with no ski instruction qualifications and end up with a job as an instructor?

No - but if you did level 2 BASI you would probably get a job somewhere in Switzerland or Austria. Paid by the hour of work though, not salaried.

You should be aware that to become properly qualified takes more than 4 years and most people take 4-10 years. It's a proper career and job, and so it should be - you can kill people on the mountain.

I would highly recommend working for a TO though - much easier to meet other youngsters who speak english, poor pay, poor living conditions, lots of hard work. If you can resist the temptation to get bluted every night though, you'll get loads of skiing.
ski holidays
rungsp, well you don;t go through BUNAC, and i think its is just a case of applying direct to canada for a permit ($150 CAN typically for processing fee).

US embassy would be your best bet to ask, as i don;t fully know.
snow report
easiski wrote:
No - but if you did level 2 BASI you would probably get a job somewhere in Switzerland or Austria. Paid by the hour of work though, not salaried.

You could probably get a salaried post in Austria if you had some German language (although most of those that I know in that situation have done the Anwerer rather than BASI 2)
snow conditions
Paul thanks for the help that cleared a lot up. Theres a problem though. With BUNAC I need to be 18 before I can apply for my visa. I'm 18 on June 9th and presumably all the visas will have been filled by then? I'm going to get on the phone to BUNAC tommorow to see if I can try secure myself a place.

Canada looks like a great option for me. Even if I do not find work immediately I have relatives about an hour away from WB who have offered to let me stay. Is BUNAC my only option for finding a visa? I'll give them a phone tommorow and hopefully I can get something sorted.
snow conditions
scotlandskiman, you should be ok, as the student visa is not quota restricted. Phone them to double check everything mind. BUNAC is in reality your only option for this 1st season yes.

As mentioned jobs are no problem. Sorting out accommodation now not last minute and having an ID that says 19 on it (nod, nod, wink, wink) to get into clubs with are things to ensure you get sorted pronto.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 25-04-08 7:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Cheers paulhothersall.

Good info to have.
snow report
Ok, I'm hoping to go ahead with work canada Very Happy. Paul is there anything more I could do to try secure myself a job ski instructing for WB? Or is the best thing just to be in canada for october and hope for the best when applying? As for accomodation what sort of options do I have around WB? I havn't really checked any prices yet and I'm trying to gauge how much money I'll need to start me off. Once I sign up through BUNAC do they offer any chances of meeting people who might be going to the same place as me? The thought of going it completely alone seems a bit daunting to start off with.

Getting quite excited now, need to start saving though.
snow report
scotlandskiman, Hey mate, I live in Dundee at the moment, uni student, 19 years old. I am hoping in doing pretty much the same as you in Canada, I mean, find a job somewhere quite close to WB and get to ski sometimes. I also have to apply for a visa and after that find accomodation. Send me an email to brendan@riordan.ws and Ill give you my msn messenger, all the best
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scotlandskiman, bjriordan,

hope all is going well

For "staff" housing the resort are in the process of approving a 210 bed unit area for temp housing for next 2 years until after the olympics. These are going to cost businesses who sign up including WB) $650 a month per person year round, and they have to commit to the whole term. 2 winters and 1 summer term mean Whistler maths at $450 for the summer and $750 for the winter.

Now possibly WB will discount those to the same price as their normal staff housing, but in town the rumour is the price next season is goign up (not to that high a level though).

get the VISA process done, and then be here in October for the job hunt.
snow conditions
Not made much progress with my gap year the last few weeks. Been so busy with exams. I think I'm waiting to go on BUNACS GAP Canada program. Looks like I'll get a chance to meet some people before I go that way. Don't think it differs much from the Work Canada program really?

Ok, so I have my Visa lined up. (GAP canada opens June 2nd) And I have just applied for a police background check. Now the main concern is accomodation.

I was thinking along the lines of booking somewhere to stay for around 2 weeks during the job hunt. I'm thinking something along the lines of arrive around last week in sept and have accomodation booked to last until atleast the 1st week of october?

Paul could you reccomend any places for accomodation? Don't mind sharing with other people, and the cheaper the better. See if I was to book one of these hostels online: http://www.hostelsweb.com/cities/whistler.html would I just be put into a room with other people? Or do I have to organise a group beforehand to book the room? I'm not quite sure how hostels work NehNeh.

Thanks
snow report
scotlandskiman, hope the exams are going OK....

hostels I've stayed in, or my kids have stayed in, have generally had dorms, usually single sex. Some you can book smaller rooms, at a premium, but if you just book into a hostel as a single, or as a small group for that matter, you'll just go wherever there are beds when you get there. Hostels are good for getting to know people.
latest report
scotlandskiman, ... you know what I think! wink Best of luck with your exams too.
ski holidays
scotlandskiman wrote:

Ok, so I have my Visa lined up. (GAP canada opens June 2nd) And I have just applied for a police background check. Now the main concern is accomodation.

I was thinking along the lines of booking somewhere to stay for around 2 weeks during the job hunt. I'm thinking something along the lines of arrive around last week in sept and have accomodation booked to last until atleast the 1st week of october?

Paul could you reccomend any places for accomodation? Don't mind sharing with other people, and the cheaper the better. See if I was to book one of these hostels online: http://www.hostelsweb.com/cities/whistler.html would I just be put into a room with other people? Or do I have to organise a group beforehand to book the room? I'm not quite sure how hostels work NehNeh.

Thanks

anywhere you can find is good.

If possible, avoid emerald (its practically in another time zone), whistler cay (is not bus served and at the the bottom of a hill), tapleys (see whistler cay) and spring creek (closer to creekside than emerald to village but no bus).

In order of choice

Village ($$$$$$$$)
Creekside (nice, walk to lift, some shops and bars, best bus to main village
Village North (free bus or long walk, close to village, still a bit pricey though)
Alpine, (lots of people here, studio share or house share)
Cay heights (location like village north, but studios/houses like alpine)
White Gold/nordic are also good

I will be renting out room in my place Nov 1st-End April.
latest report
and before vee8 gives me grief about my place, checkout http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/paul.hothersall/ValeInn
snow conditions
Mike Pow,
Can you tell me more about where I can get a job intructing, with the training / qualifiaction included?
I am eaded from Niseko to Canda soon. I have no preference of resort (although ski in / out would be nice, as I hav been spoilt by working at the hilton Niseko Village...)
Do you have any urls you can reccomend with more info?

Cheers,

Andy
snow report
paulhothersall wrote:
scotlandskiman, you can get a job at whistler blackcomb without a qualification, and they will train you (for free) all season long. You will get your CSIA level 1 straight away (cheap course/exam) unless you really can't ski.

The season here is mid nov - end may, instructors are usually working with paying client from early/mid dec through mid april.

Free training means its cheaper to do everything as well. "new" BASI 1 + 2 = about £900 if memory serves, CSIA 1, 2 , 3 course and exam is under that, and CSIA 3 is ISIA standard. For CSIA 1 + 2 your are looking at about $800, so only just more than the BASI 1 course in the UK

Get yourself onto the BUNAC website and get a Canadian work VISA!

Paulhothersall - Do you know if this is still the case at Whistler? I live in England and am looking to go to Whistler in Dec 2009/Jan 2010 until about May time and would like to do some ski instructor work but havn't got any qualifications.
ski holidays
ac17, cmichaels, this thread is about a year old so you might not get a response. you could try PMing Mike Pow, and paulhothersall. of course, resurrecting the thread might bring up new info as well.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
You would only be with the little kids though with no qualifications in these resorts, as I understand it.

Umm no I've skied with a girl (who could not traverse btw) who had no quals and was teaching adult beginners...

I also know of folks at Vail that have no quals but have worked around 10 years or more (part time) and get the 'leftovers' from the top instructors - you know your client will return if you give them to unqualified vs another full cert... these clients would be higher level skiers

esp a full cert from OS who may really be more qualified than a PSIA 3... Wink
ski holidays
only input i can give is

wen i stayed in a chalet the hosts had a few free hours on the slope each day.

get up, make breakfast, clear away the dishes then lay the table with tea + takes for peoples mid afternoon snack

come back late afternoon and prepare dinner

tidy away dinner stuff then relax

id do it if i had the chance
snow report
scotlandskiman, defo agree with others suggested gap instructor year prob not a good idea if you're not going to make a career of it. You don't need to go as far as Canada and won't need a visa for Europe...

The point of working in a resort is that the more you get paid, the less you get to free ski. Ideal ski job is washing dishes in the evening (you can ski all day). Lots of jobs, it's a holiday situation so you'll have no problems making ski buddies unless you are unfeasibly anti-social) and chums for the odd beer with on your infrequent nights off.

Expect to work pretty hard though, most of my friends who work in resort have few days off in season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy