Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EOSB: Mont Brequin via the lac du Lou

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After meeting up with the guys at our hotel, les 3 Vallees on Friday we arranged to meet down at the Oxalys on Saturday morning. Finally Bernard C and I took off around 10.30am (a bit late for our tastes) for the Cime de Carron without any particular objectives. A quick stop in the lifties hut confirmed that the lac du Lou should be ok. There had been a lot of wind from the south shifting to the south-west overnight and this was continuing to move snow around in the morning. There had been about 15 cm of snow overnight. Avalanche risk 3, considerable.

After some initial confusion as to the start (and there were a lot of tracks) we dropped into the route via this short couloir. Bernard here against the sun.

Up near the ridgeline rocks were not far underneath

but things soon opened up for some gentle powder skiing

We were aiming for slopes in the 25 degree range, certainly the big open north-east slopes looked pregnant with powder.

At around 2550 meters we fixed skins and started to climb up towards the col de la vallee etroit (tight ass pass) but after 100 meters we decided to tack south to follow a low angle ridge towards the Pas de la Mas and Mont Brequin

The route up followed the rock line to the left of the tracks in the photograph. We judged this to be the safest climbing route. Around 50 (vertical) meters below the pas de la masse we stopped for timing reasons, it was now 1pm and we didn't want to climb the slopes to the summit of the Brequin due to the avalanche risk.

The ski down was on a good layer of powder with a bit more slope than previously.

We saw a lot of other groups arrive at the same time we started out descent but it is not obvious where they came from as they did not seem to have any gear with them.

This is Bernard further down the slope.

The snow turned heavier above the Lac du Lou

Bernard was keen on "powder farming"

and finally a look back up to where we had come from.

The GPS trail

- click for a bigger version

Val Thorens lac du Lou - more info here.[/url]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-04-08 10:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow. Sounds and looks like a great trip. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fantastic photos.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ooo. An epic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks like a nice day out snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sweet stuff.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks to Graham and his snowheads team who are running another fantastic EoSB. I'm back home now but hope everyone is having a good time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice, who else skied with you, or was it just you and Bernard?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, thanks for that. Please don't post photos though, you might upset the locals. Wink The Wink indicates a JOKE, just so we're clear.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, nice report and pictures, we rode down to the Lac du Lou from the other side (La Masse) first thing on Friday morning, lovely spring snow by then but it was very heavy going low down.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, great photo's.

We went down twice from Carron last week. Wednesday was fantastic; light, deep and fresh tracks top to bottom. Friday was much firmer, but with some nice pitches in there still.

On Wednesday we walked out accross the lake to finish, but by Friday it looked a little damp so we decided to skirt around.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, .... great trip & what a lovely day ... Very Happy

.... will report on the others when time allows. At present I am busy 'paying' for my season. Mrs BernardC, has a list of 1037 jobs for me to do ...! I have just completed Job No. 5, so I will be paying for quite some time .... Laughing

.... here are a few of mine from that day.....

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof,
Quote:
We saw a lot of other groups arrive at the same time we started out descent but it is not obvious where they came from as they did not seem to have any gear with them.

You can work your way along the ridge to the Pas de la Masse, generally starting on L (Combe sans Nom side) then back right after a bit then crest and L...fairly obvious when you go along. Short sections of side-stepping or booting...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy