Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

South Korea - worth skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
The impression one gets from this article on skiing in South Korea - "exceptional scenery", "dreamlike juxtaposition of past and present", "decent if unremarkable runs", "most runs are perfect for all levels" (what does that mean?) - is an attempt to put a brave face on a fairly mediocre experience. The more interesting novelties and impressions, not surprisingly, are to be found off the slopes.

Read Nick Dalton's account in the Telegraph.

On the strength of this report I can't see anyone rushing to the Korean mountains - the north island of Japan sounds more interesting - but does anyone else have any broader knowledge of skiing in the country?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm, I can't comment on the skiing but I would take issue with the reporter's comments about the food.
Quote:
If you really must you can lunch on pizza, but local fare is better. Korean food is fast food - really fast. Within seconds of sitting down several side dishes arrive, including kimchi - preserved cabbage - bean curd and others that are tasty even if you can't quite pinpoint their origins.

In my experience Korean food is an acquired taste and one that I have absolutely no desire to acquire. To describe kimchi as "preserved cabbage" is, whilst technically accurate, somewhat of an understatement and does not do justice either to the many different varieties of this substance or to the, shall we say, particular flavours of same.

There is an old saying amongst many business travellers to the far east - the Chinese eat c$%&p because they have to, the Koreans eat c%^$p because they like it Toofy Grin

(all comments above are personal subjective opinions of the author, whose boss actually claims to like kimchi but has never been seen to eat it)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like kimichi Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alan Craggs, crisps?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dog flavour
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Probably garlic flavour - street vendors sell roasted garlic by the bulb in case the locals need a quick fix between breakfast of fermented cabbage and garlic and lunch of fermented cabbage and garlic.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith,
I haven't been but read a few artlcles on South Korean skiing, when I was living in Asia. The skiing seems a bit limited with a lot of snow making necessary as there is a bit of a shortage of natural snow. Muju is apparently the best resort. I also met some Swiss skiers who were living in Korea they reinforced this idea, not really worth travelling for. Some friends of mine who were beginners went and loved it though. Equipment rental is apparently something to avoid you have to return it every day and they never dry the boots. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NB Perversly I quite like what little Korean food I have eaten and Love Chinese food.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I love Chinese food as well - but not in China Confused
The food served in Western "Chinese" restaurants bears no relation at all to food as eaten in the parts of China I have visited in my experience.
I have only visited China on business. Friends who have visited as tourists seem to have experienced a different, and more acceptable to "western" palates, food regime.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alan Craggs, you didn't mention the chillies in kimchi. I quite like the stuff but it has been known to cause serious outbreaks of blanket ruffling, followed by ring-sting. Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I brought kimchi and pickled squid as a present to a former maitre d' of a Chamonix restaurant and was told that she had tasted many interesting types of food in her time but had never before felt disgust! No accounting for taste Puzzled Kimchi does enhance one's innner cleanliness wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mac46 wrote:
I brought kimchi and pickled squid as a present to a former maitre d' of a Chamonix restaurant and was told that she had tasted many interesting types of food in her time but had never before felt disgust! No accounting for taste Puzzled Kimchi does enhance one's innner cleanliness wink

Please take me off your Christmas present list!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alan Craggs,
I guess you can get good and bad food anywhere and I don't know if you have been unlucky or your friends lucky. But I don't particularly like what I think of as 'westernised chinese food'.
I like things such as snake soup, preserved eggs, obscure bits of offal chinese style.
Can't say I have any desire to try some of the more outre dishes such as monkey brains though Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, Ask any Oriental to partake of the cholesterol-charged 'traditional English breakfast' or even the more trad steak and kidney pie( "but aren't those the organs that secrete urine?!?!?!?")......well, and as for the delights of tripe and onions Smile There's nothing to beat the Japanese skiers' breakfast of boiled rice mixed with fermented beans, garnished with a raw egg in soy sauce, sprinkled with dried seaweed....yummy! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll cross Korea off of my list then, for sure..!!
latest report
Right, back to the skiing then.... Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy