Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We have a 3rd way, Bardonnechia...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some of you may have seen my post here...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=925029&highlight=niederau#925029

Well we have been slightly put off of Niederau because of the possibility of the lack of snow. (Would love to go there but will do that another year as a last minute deal) Soldeu has a 4 hour transfer and not so pretty but we have found Bardonnechia which looks like it ticks all the boxes.

It should be more snow sure as it is high (is that correct?), short transfer and within budget.

Anyone been there? How is it for beginners? How is the ski school? Any other information I should know?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to to this resort many years ago, after only 4 hours instruction on a dryslope. I found it to be a great little town, with an excellent ski school, and varied slopes that were quite manageable for my level. The resort has recently benefited from development as it was an Olympics venue.
Choose accommodation at, or near Campo Smith for minimum walking in ski boots.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TheOtherMe, Folk who I know who have been to Baronecchia have enjoyed it as above. I haven't been myself. But it has a reputation for an unreliable snow record. It sits just over the border from France a bit like Sauze d'Oulx and may be in a bit of a rain shadow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TheOtherMe, Hi and welcome to snowHead (sure you will have been by now, but another won't hurt)..... I've been to Bardonecchia twice, and really enjoyed the skiing and the town. There are 2 sides to the resort, and the Jafferau is fabulous skiing with markedly better snow on both visits. It's a ride across town on the ski bus, but only a couple of minutes, and then a slightly scary single chair up (may have changed now, as this was 5 or 6 years ago) - worth it IMV. It's not a party town for apres ski, but there are a couple of bars, pizza / pasta restaurants etc. There were beginners in both my groups and they are all still skiing having had what they felt was good instruction. There is a new apartment building right at the bottom of the slopes which was built for the Olympics a couple of years ago, and there are numerous 'old-fashioned' hotels, mostly family run, with decent food, furnishings etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone.

So where does have a good snow record? In the brochure it says guaranteed snow and I thought the hight would also help.

I wish I could book late but there are just to many of us and the USA is out of our budget.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ischgl
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TheOtherMe, how many of you are there, and when in January do you plan to go? Normally the later the better, snowwise, though there are exceptions, like last year! There aren't many rules when it comes to snow records in January. What else is important about the holiday, and what is not so important? What kind of accommodation?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TheOtherMe, I would not be unduly put off by a 'slightly dodgy snow record'Just thought I would mention it as I know a few people who couldnot get skiing there.
BUT
That was back in the eighties and whereas I doubt it is much better or worse than then for natural snow, most places can now do pretty well with man made.The kind of conditions that in the eighties gave snow droughts prolonged high pressure cold spells are also pretty good for making snow so very poor conditions are probably less common than they were.
Guaranteed snow means glaciers but the resorts that provide glacier skiing can be pretty cold and unpleasant in bad weather in january.

Resorts that are said to have reasonable snow records wthout being too expensive and I think suitable for early intermediates would include:
Flaine, La Rosiere/ La Thuile, Montgenvevre/Claviere, Cervinia, Obertauern.
If you are going in late Jan though especially I would not be unduly concerned about the snow record.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unfortunately we have to go the first week of Jan.

Hope it will be ok but we will look at the other suggested.

Thanks everyone, maybe there is time for a 4th way... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TheOtherMe, how many are you? That's a really low season week, there's no big rush unless you are a very big group set on a particular holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there is 12 of us, what I find is that people often pull out of late bookings, however if they have put a deposit down its better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheOtherMe, yes, I can see the logic there. But if people pull out, you'll have an easier time with a last minute booking!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy