Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Counter - how much is enough and how much is too much?

Poster: A snowHead
I have to say I'm getting increasingly confused now about the position of counter in what we do. We have a couple of threads on "inside tip lead = bad", but it's a natural and required consequence of counter, and an excerpt from The Skiers Edge shows that it's pretty essential for high edge angles, but we've been discussing how square to the skis is a stronger position. Recently I had a coaching session where we were having counter drilled out of us.

And where should it come from - the waist or the hips? We've had statements strongly in favour of waist, but the the braquage exercise is all about twisting the femurs from the hips only.

And from another thread:
Chasseur wrote:
Having done a little reading on this over the last day or so, some commentators seem to suggest that with the advent of "carving" skis (they have actually been around since the laste 19th C) as we defince them today, there is less focus on angulation and more on countering.

Any views?

So how much is enough and how much is too much?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN wrote:
We have a couple of threads on "inside tip lead = bad"

I think it's fair to say those threads were actually about "excessive inside tip lead = bad".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
didn't your mate V8 do a (IMO) rather helpful thread in his "skiing myths" series on this a while back?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, Aim for none and you will probably end up with the right amount. IMHO actively staying stacked is like angulation, people think that they are making much larger movements than they really are.

Braquage isn't an exercise that a race coach will teach you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN,

Depends on turn type and terrain, i.e. short turn, steeps - lots, long turn, moderate - much less.

Hip
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

depends on context, if you are screaming through gates as little as possible. I like rjs, thoughts on that.
If you are off piste in a steep, narrow couloir "plenty" would be a good idea Toofy Grin

if you are making short radius "BASI" turns in front of a trainer some counter is needed, if you are making SL turns in front of Emma none

V8 summed it up pretty well in myths 4 (which you referenced in the other thread)

"The simple answer is - your upper body should face the line of momentum"

Edited to show quoted material

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 20-04-08 9:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, that sounds a good recipe, and yes that Myths #4 thread is a good starting point. This question was partly raised by squaring (pun intended) the hip position being discussed with reference to tip lead, and the pictures of the degree of counter used for high perf GS turns, where there's way more than required to face the direction of travel, and past comments from people like little tiger and easiski with leading into the turn with the inside hip. Obviously there's no sensible numerical answer (and in no way do I want one Wink ) - but is there a way of telling when you've got too much? Until I got into this racing lark most of my "performance" skiing was focusssed on steep and narrow, so I naturally tend to overdo it everywhere else. I've no doubt I could get myself to be square to the line of momentum all the way along, but that's probably going to end up over-squaring things.

"Stacking", ah another contentious point...compounded by the fact I doubt I've met any two people who define it in the same way! Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

depends on context, if you are screaming through gates as little as possible. I like rjs, thoughts on that.
If you are off piste in a steep, narrow couloir "plenty" would be a good idea Toofy Grin

if you are making short radius "BASI" turns in front of a trainer some counter is needed, if you are making SL turns in front of Emma none

V8 summed it up pretty well in myths 4 (which you referenced in the other thread)

The simple answer is - your upper body should face the line of momentum

This is spot-on as far as I am concerned
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It seems to me that if you are trying to hack the purest line...then as close to none would be the goal..??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN,

Simplest I can make it.

1) You will always need a certain minimum amount of counter in a turn. Counter aids pronation - so you need enough counter to aid with this. Pronation directs pressure to the inside of the foot - which is where you want it on your outside ski.

2) After that you will need to add sufficient counter to get your balance over that inside edge of the outside ski. Pronation also helps you balance and you will need whatever amount is sufficient for the amount of side-cut in your skis, speed, turn radius and edge angle you are skiing with.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Err, thinking about this while skiing the slightly fresh up the Grands Montets today - while playing with invert javelin turn-drills.

I think we're complicating it all again. If you are countering/angulating/tip leading/tip lagging too much it just feels plain wrong.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
I think we're complicating it all again. If you are countering/angulating/tip leading/tip lagging too much it just feels plain wrong.
That was exactly what I was hoping someone would say - and was just wondering who it would be. I thought it might be you - should really have put money on it! Laughing

Although the slightly less joky response, is that of course what feels "right" is what you've always been doing, which may not be the right thing, just rather the feeling that you know and have come to love. Your "feel" then needs re-educating if it's different, and you need something to check against to know when you're doing it right. I'm guessing some kind of balance or stability feedback, rather than just a muscle "comfort" thing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, hee hee hee!

Seriously, I couldn't get my head around the debate. And was lucky enough to be in "interesting" snow on the GMs. So I tried to work out whether I could deliberately feel for it and sure enough, increasing/decreasing tip lead/lag plus altering "counter" really just felt wrong when not skiing at my normal stance.

Now, I know there are thing I need to work on (I crouch Canadian style for example which - if for no reason other than aesthetics - I should correct) and allegedly my transitions are a little aggressive but in the main I do what feels good/efficient/& works.

It seems the same with this counter debate.

Having said all that - if you aren't already skiing with a reasonable degree of bio-mech efficiency I don't think counter or the lack thereof is going to be the biggest issue.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I crouch Canadian style for example which

Actually, it has been shown that this position makes best use of a centred mobile position, rather than the upright back style. But it's important to remember that the correct canadian crouch is more rounding of the shoulders forward, rather than bending at the waist, which many seem to mis-interprete,.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 20-04-08 0:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch wrote:
I crouch Canadian style

Oh, and I just thought you were short! Little Angel
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
We have a couple of threads on "inside tip lead = bad", but it's a natural and required consequence of counter,

Not sure about that. Tip lead results from high leg angles, which could either be achieved by inclination or angulation/countering.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
The simple answer is - your upper body should face the line of momentum

And if you watch a lot of WC racers, especially in SL and shorter GS turns, their momentum is pretty much down the hill. So the upper body faces pretty much down the hill. This leads to inclination early in the turn and counter/angulation later in the turn.
ski holidays
Martin Bell, Not crying off but the "simple answer" was a quote from V8 and i think quite a good summary and typical position wink .

I did say it depends on context and i would think the ideal line in a race is to have as little counter as possible to keep speed up but agree fully with your point with SL turns..
snow conditions
veeeight, interesting. I think/hope I am just rounding my shoulders rather than bending at the waist. Not sure.
snow report
David Murdoch, from what I remember of seeing you ski, you're OK Wink (yes you do round your shoulders, rather than bend much at the waist, but not by a huge amount). I've been developing a pretty much Canadian Crouch position during my snow skiing this winter - and it feels so much better (and is way more effective) than the upright model.

maggi, great minds think alike Wink - but I was too much of a gentleman to post it.
ski holidays
David Murdoch,

It only seems to work if you tilt the pelvis...and that is the easiest thing to lose or let slip.
If that happens you compensate by bending at the waist, IMV.
I have certainly seen it in my pics of late... Shocked rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy