Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Removing Sidewalls

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, quickie question from a relative tuning newbie.

I've just finished tuning my old skis (thought I wouldn't risk it on the new SL skis...)

Everything seemed fine, nice clean, sharp edges; however... whilst the problem is purely superficial, it was slightly annoying, and something I'd like to avoid in future. Whilst doing a bit of sidewall removal, the cutter started to judder along the sidewall. For the rest of the length of the ski (until this last 10cm) the cutter had run smoothly. Then it jumped along as it cut, this was annoying (as it meant I had to go over it a few times to get the sidewall down along this length) and is also fairly gruesome to look at...

Any ideas what caused this? Or indeed, how I can do my best to stop this happening again?

Thanks in advance. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need a sidewall cutter/removal tool.

Chris Hillier does one via his sidecut racing website, as do Toko, and Ski-Man, as do others.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sidewall cutters are like high-angle wood planes in a lot of ways.

Suggestions:

- adjust blade for shallower cut
- steady but light pressure into the sidewall
- steady, moderately paced but strong pressure along the sidewall
- no rocking of the cutter, sometimes this can be tough at the thin ends of the ski.
- clean up known rough spots with a pansar file and edge filing guide

If none of those help, it may be time to replace the blade.

There are occasions where very little seems to help (Atomic cap skis come to mind) because the material is just so tough. In those cases the pansar file method or a heavier (literally heavier for more and steadier momentum) cutter such as the Holmenkol Ergo/Sportna Oprema one may be the ticket.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon, Have a chat to Spyderjon in VT this week. He'll sort you out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, I bought a sidewall remover off spyderjon, owing to the fact that Chris only had one with him in Soldeu (when I bought most of the other stuff off him).

kiwi1, good idea, although I think comprex may be onto my problem (good analagy and similar problems to when I did DT at school, I think it may well try adjusting the depth of the cut, and use slightly less 'force').
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon, I have had a similar judder that was caused by the cutter coming into contact with the ski metal edge material. I have to get very close on my Elans as the alloy layer is the first layer above the edge and clogs the file unless it is removed. solution was to make a lighter cut and also raise the cutter vertically away from the steel edge and higher up the sidewall.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skisimon, I tend to use a couple of files, starting with a Fitzwilliam file then finishing with a medium file with a side edge guide with a more acute angle than what I want to cut the edges to.

It works well as you only remove minimum side wall although the down side is that unless you are just touching the edges up with a diamond, you need to repeat often.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What happened, when did a b*stard file become a Fitzwilliam Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skisimon, as comprex says but I can show you at the EoSB.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hofmeister, The forum "nanny" software takes certain words and replaces them with euphemisms.

The word you wanted tio use (and a valid technical term when talking of files) gets replaced with "fitzwilliam".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, what a fitzwilliam Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bastard eh?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jumped a year!!! and the "nanny" software got older and more tolerant Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dypcdiver, Someones been teaching it naughty words... but not in this case... only being technical Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thats an interesting and accurate substitution. Most Irish names begin with O', Mc or Mac which in short means the son of. eg mc Carthy = the son of Carthy. Other Irish names begin with Fitz which means the Fitzwilliam son off. Eg. fitzwilliam Fitzwilliam son of william.

Then theres Patrick Fitzmaurice and Maurice Fitzpatrick, But I'm not going there. Very Happy
snow report
Would that be RPF for Rory Patrick Fitzmaurice then, so you must know for sure for sure. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy