Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So what is a Javelin turn anyway?

Poster: A snowHead
Read the Glossary, none the wiser, pics/vid anyone?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://ski.topeverything.com/default.aspx?p=showprivatecontent&ID=D6231862
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sideshow_Bob, that's exactly the opposite of what I thought was meant by the term.

My understanding was that it was a flamingo turn as shown here, modified to point the tip of the raised ski -> into <- the fall line.

http://www.therusty.com/images/shape_article/t6-a.gif

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 17-04-08 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sideshow_Bob is indeed correct.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton, doesn't it close the hips off to the hill that way?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
click on The Skier's Edge and look at page 112:
Chasseur wrote:
skimottaret, I'm not sure if this helps but The Skiers Edge has some interesting info.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, sideshow s clip IMO shows the real deal but perhaps not as aggressive as some would demo. Usually the lifted ski would go further across the weighted ski.

Martin Bell, interesting that Skiers edge shows a static javelin as a drill, i slagged that off as a bit dangerous... Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, I'd gathered that it wasn't fully developed ,

EDIT: nevermind, different goal.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
PhillipStanton, doesn't it close the hips off to the hill that way?

Yeah, but, you're starting your new turn so your hips are "open" vis the turn.

Oi tink.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, the link fromSideshow_Bob, is what I understand as a Javelin turn....

The inside ski tip crosses the outside ski. It encourages the development of counter.

I have also done a variation on this that required me to turn the outside ski under the lifted inside ski rather than lift the ski across. This encourages the development of counter by skiing into it as you turn.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having done a little reading on this over the last day or so, some commentators seem to suggest that with the advent of "carving" skis (they have actually been around since the laste 19th C) as we defince them today, there is less focus on angulation and more on countering.

Any views?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, I think the subjet of counter deserves a thread of its own
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, good on you to start another potential battle so soon Toofy Grin

ps. how do you make a link without showing the address like you did in "thread of its own"?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, press the quote button on that post and you'll see the construct.

If it is, I suspect I'll be watching rather than fighting - unless anyone comes up with any more cod maths/science Wink.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah, OK, so it's an exercise not really a turn as such.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, fair enough a picture or diagram would be good but what part of the definition wasnt clear
Puzzled

JAVELIN TURNS - A drill which is performed by completely lifting the inside ski from the snow and pointing it across the outside ski. The inside ski is lifted off the snow at or before the edge change of the new outside ski. At the end of the turn the inside ski is deliberately placed back on the snow and then becomes the new outside ski.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
Ah, OK, so it's an exercise not really a turn as such.

Yep, defo an exercise.

Does two things in my limited understanding.

Keeps you facing down the slope. (I'm not even going to enter the "counter" discussion!).

Gets you skiing on one foot - so improves / develops your carving.
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
Keeps you facing down the slope.

But surely it actually gets you facing more up the slope if started before you enter the fall-line?

Quote:
(I'm not even going to enter the "counter" discussion!).

Go on, gow on gowon gowon gowon gowon! Wink
ski holidays
skimottaret, I think what was confusing me was that it was called a turn. And I couldn't see the point of it as a form of turn. As an exercise it's quite clear.

It's actually more fun (I think) to maintain appropriate counter while crossing your outside ski over the inner one.

High speed Royales in bumps are good too... wink
latest report
David Murdoch, maybe but you could say that about any excersises like swiss, royals, charleston or jet turns, or, even the holy worm turn...

"reverse" javelins are cool and scary if done at speed, never tried royals in the bumps, at least on purpose Laughing

i have seen people do combined charleston/javelin turns, try to get your head around that one.....
latest report
GrahamN, said
Quote:
But surely it actually gets you facing more up the slope if started before you enter the fall-line?

yes, when I was taught this drill, I was encouraged to get onto that uphill ski and into the "javelin" position before starting the turn.
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:
combined charleston/javelin turns
...COOL! that's tomorrow's exercise nailed.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, harder man than me, i cant do charlestons, sh*t scared of royals cause i always catch a tip and arent athletic enough to do short swings. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad must try harder in off season...
latest report
skimottaret, I have short skis...
snow report
David Murdoch, me too and i still cant do that stuff....
latest report
Hi guys, thats me in the video clip Cool !
latest report
I like the bit where you can see your shadow, with you holding the video camera in your outstretched arm Very Happy
snow report
Yeah, I need to take some filming lessons..... as well wink !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tdk6, cool video do you have any others? i am thinking about starting a thread showing drills instead of tryin gto explain them in writing and any video or illustrations would be perfect for that.
ski holidays
skimottaret, why start another thread? - just add links to bits of vid to your excellent Glossary thread. That javelin is quite different from what I had originally understood (I'd thought you were supposed to keep the lifted ski pointing downhill throughout and then turn underneath it). The Charleston vid that Yoda posted up was also a bit of a revelation - I'd thought it was something much slower (much more like linked white pass turns). They're not too difficult to do either at that kind of speed - but I agree with you about the Royale Christie though, and I'm nowhere near bouncy enough for those Swiss (or were the Swedish?) turns - my efforts result in me getting about 5cm max off the ground. Yoda also posted up a pretty good pic of a Royale Chrisite too.
latest report
GrahamN, well mainly as i think drills really need photos or ideally video to support them and i wanted to keep the glossary mainly written with very basic quick loading diagrams.. not sure that works for drills though and I dont want to be too bandwidth hungry. I suppose no harm in putting it all in one spot and if the site peeps want to change it we can later...

any ideas on touring terms or racing stuff?
snow report
Just put click-throughs - hot links which won't break the text flow and won't take up bandwidth. This is best continued on the other thread though.
snow conditions
[quote="GrahamN"] That javelin is quite different from what I had originally understood (I'd thought you were supposed to keep the lifted ski pointing downhill throughout and then turn underneath it).

GrahamN
little tiger wrote:
David Murdoch, the link fromSideshow_Bob, is what I understand as a Javelin turn....

The inside ski tip crosses the outside ski. It encourages the development of counter.

I have also done a variation on this that required me to turn the outside ski under the lifted inside ski rather than lift the ski across. This encourages the development of counter by skiing into it as you turn.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
tdk6, cool video do you have any others? i am thinking about starting a thread showing drills instead of tryin gto explain them in writing and any video or illustrations would be perfect for that.

Good ide.... you just ask for any kind of demo and Ill try to show you a vid! Cant do em all but I can try.... my archives are massive Smile.
snow report
tdk6, nice one, how about if you have a look at the glossary of terms thread and pick a drill there so we can give it a try. I think we would need to load any video clips into snowheads media zone so as the links are easy to manage and in one place. Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy