Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ferry for Les Deux Alpes - Calais or Boulogne ?

Poster: A snowHead
Now looking at the route planners (AA and ViaMichelin), the route from Calais will miss Paris, the Route from Boulogne goes on the Paris Peripherique but is shorter and quicker - do I believe this ?

Are the route planners assuming the Peripherique will be empty ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micky, Take no notice of the route planners don't go via Paris from either the traffic is usually very heavy. Go around by Reims, Troyes, Dijon, etc. there isn't a great deal of difference whether you choose Calais or Boulogne, they aren't actually very far apart.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
micky, from where you are, wouldn't Euro Tunnel be an option? 50 minutes from on to off usually and no faffing around inbetween. Other than that, I'd be inclined to Calais, having done the route you'll be taking quite a few times on the way to SC.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
micky, As Colin B, says: avoid Paris at all costs. I always do Reims etc as he mentioned. I quite like Boulogne myself because it's a pretty drive across to the motorway at St. Omer. I also use Norfolk Lines to Dunkerque quite often which is a longer ferry, a scenic drive, docks int he back of beyond but --- NO COACHES -- NO TEENAGE MONSTERS --- VIRTUALLY NO CHILDREN!!!! Quiet, which is good if you're driving! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's a good decisive response on the roue, thanks.

I'm travelling down on Saturday 12 July and returning on Sat 19 July, Eurotunnel is expensive, Speedferries is reasonable so I'll probably use them.

Is there any way to get the Dover / Calais ferry cheaper, discount codes, etc ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
micky, Speedferries are fine in the summer. Because they are small things can get "interesting" in choppy seas in the winter though. You can use Tesco vouchers for eurotunnel discounts, not sure on ferries.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
micky,

As per Easiski, I use NorfolkLine when not using speed ferries. They're also very good on prices. Just booked our VW camper foor the 1st WE of the summer holidays with return 2 weeks later > £103. Longer crossing though...

From Boulogne, start aiming north (towards Calais) then straight away take the N42. You will cut across and find yourself very quickly back on the A26 all the way to Reims... The N42 is fairly easy with good portion of it being dual carriageway...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Again I'd have to say the tunnel - while can be pricy at peak times, if you pick your crossings carefully are a lot cheaper. Free for us as always use Tesco Clubcard points
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

while can be pricy at peak times, if you pick your crossings carefully are a lot cheaper

Having used the tunnel on business trips,I know how good it is and I would love to use it privately..

However, never did I get quoted a competitive price by their website (compared to ferries) unless I was travelling in the middle of the night or week outside of school holidays. (We prefer using our Tescos points on buying food)

Ok ferries take longer all in all, although Speedferries do get you across very quickly as well, but the price difference is not justified by the time difference IMV..

Plus at this moment in my life, with two toddlers, the "break" on the ferry is a welcome one. Bt that's a different matter..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We always used to take the tunnel at night for ski trips so benefited from the cheaper crossing. The younger children invariably slept through the whole process. Driving through the night was always a fairly stress-free option with no messing around to be honest.

That said, apart from one trip, we usually took the kids out of school.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not sure if I should be admitting this in public or not but I'm crossing the channel tomorrow but I don't shop at Tesco
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
micky, Use the tunnel, what are the minutes of your life worth? snowHead

(pick your travel times carefully and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Micky - take care with Speedferries ... They are fine and very cheap if you are absolutely certain you will make your specified crossing.
They can get very busy however /sold out (because they are so cheap) - so if you miss your crossing it isnt as easy to just get on the next one as with other ferry operators or eurotunnel.... and they arent very frequent anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As we have an 8ish hour drive to LDA once we land in France we really need a crossing at around 8 am, and its on a Saturday in July so Eurotunnel is expensive, and I doubt we have many Tesco Clubcard vouchers lying around but I will check.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
micky, Go out before 06:00, you'll get there earlier and save £50. Come back after 20:00, have a lie in and save another £30. Job done! snowHead
snow report
Quote:
We prefer using our Tescos points on buying food

Kruisler, but they're worth four times as much if you use them for "Deals"; you only get face value at Tesco.
snow report
micky, as Axsman, says take the early and late options. Coulsdon isn't all that far from Dover. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

(We prefer using our Tescos points on buying food)

Worst thing you can do with them! For each £1 of points you get £4 off a crossing, far better value, our trip this year was £120 return or free with £30 worth of Vouchers

Quote:

Plus at this moment in my life, with two toddlers, the "break" on the ferry is a welcome one. Bt that's a different matter..

Can understand that - with ours as toddlers they were a nightmare, being sea sick, falling down ferry stairs etc. Therefore go for the get them there as quick as possible option
snow report
Boris,

My kids (4yr and 18mths) may fall asleep in the car, stay quiet for an hour, maybe two then all hell breaks loose aqnd we gotta stop for a while..
Or, they don't fall asleep and it's a nightmare very quickly... rolling eyes

So the ferry helps tiring them and get them "un-bored" although, you'right it involves a lot of running around sometimes. That said Speedferries have children stuff on TV if needed.. wink

Now because of all this we usually drive at night (then they sleep all the way through) but this year we won't for various reasons. Bearing in mind we'll be in 1978 vw camper, toping at 60mph and we gotta go all the way down to Lacanau near Bordeaux, I am expecting a tough 12h trip, from Calais so the ferry break before that is very very welcome! ... I think a car/travel dvd player is going to be essential too... Toofy Grin

Point noted for the Tesco points and the tunnel..
snow report
micky wrote:
As we have an 8ish hour drive to LDA once we land in France we really need a crossing at around 8 am, and its on a Saturday in July so Eurotunnel is expensive, and I doubt we have many Tesco Clubcard vouchers lying around but I will check.

You will be very lucky if it only takes you 8 hours. It is 580 miles, the final stretch from Vizille to LDA being mountain roads.
latest report
Done it twice this season - 10 hours from Calais Eurotunnel is a comfortable - no speeding ticket run.
snow report
And on a Saturday in July, traffic aroind Lyon heading to the Cote d'Azur can be legendary.
snow report
Quote:
I think a car/travel dvd player is going to be essential too.

I should think so Kruisler. My grand-daughter (4) can do quite long car journeys these days to a constant diet of those appalling Barbie movies and/or various vapid Disney princesses. Her parents wisely insist that they are only ever played in the car, so they become a special treat. Her brother (18 months) cares not a jot for Disney princesses and just wants to dash around. You have my sympathy. Have you tried drugs? wink
ski holidays
Kruisler, yeah know what you mean about tiring them out - I usually have a lovely walk through the carriages rolling eyes

I looked at the DVD option, but decided against it as thought would not be good for the ones who get travel sick. We now take a load of story CDs and Nursery Rhymes which are very good in keeping them calm, although possibly better when slightly older, ours are now 7 (twins) and 5.

Mind you mum and dad are heartedly sick of the Horrid Henry stories!
snow conditions
Boris,
The stories CD and nursery rhymes are a very god idea actually..will remember that for when we're in the car...
But in the van because of the engine noise, we would have to put the volume up so high that any further communication between parents and children would be impossible! Laughing
Mind you..possibly not a bad thing! wink

pam w,
We got quite a collection of barbie and princesses DVDs already! Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy