Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing - suggestions please!

Poster: A snowHead
I want to plan a couple of summer ski trips for this summer, has anyone got any advice or experience regarding Chile or Argentina?

Also looking at Japan later in the year again advice and suggestions would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cerro Catedral in Patagonia is pretty good, more variety than the high altitude areas incl tree skiing, although the snow reliability and quality can suffer as a result of low altitude, if you want Pow guarantte'd go to Portillo in Chile. San Carlos de Bariloche, the nearest town, is also a pretty nice place to stay, although you can stay on the mountain too. Its very all cheap by european standards but to get their you usually have to fly via Madrid to B'Aires and then on to Bariloche which can be a bit of a killer, best to stay over in BA for a night.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, narrows it down a bit in terms of areas to research
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Las Lenas is recognised as the toughest skiing but everyewhere else can be fun places to go - skiing down the side of a smoking volcano is a fairly novel experience to most Euros.

Portillo and Valle Nevado areas are easily doable based on flights in/out Santiago with possibility of cat skiing thrown in. For the full skinny on Las Lenas TGR ususally has the best scoop (& usually a few maggot season pads rented)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CHILE & ARGENTINA

Lots of great info on here and in this link and the TGR site
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52984

JAPAN

Same as above. Here and TGR.

Recommend both places. Hoping to hit S America this summer. Unless NZ gets pounded.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, ooooo volcanoes! Gotta be done!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scotland
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry, not sure scotland fits in with my 'blow my inheritance crazy southern hemisphere ski adventure' theme i was going for lol
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snobunni, couple of options you might be interested in with Snoworks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, exactly what i was after . . . might be a bit much for the hubby though, shame, i'll have to leave him at home lol
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snobunni, yes, sometimes sacrifices need to be made in the pursuit of skiing nirvana! I've not done either of those South American trips but I know a couple of people who have and they had an amazing time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, lol absolutely, would you mind just emailing my hubby in support of the fact i NEED not WANT to go on one of the snoworks trips lol
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snobunni, Happy to do that, I'm sure he'll understand Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, lol i've just plotted with his best mate to send him to vegas as a trade off . . .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D'oh, just seen the single person supplement! £750!!!!!!!! Need a companion to go with!!!!! Any takers???????? Pleeeaaaaasssssseeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
snobunni, won't they arrange a (same sex) room sharer for you? All the Snoworks trips I've done this has been the case.
snow report
rob@rar, i've emailed them asking them that . . . sat here clutching my debit card in anticipation!!!!!!! I think i'm supposed to be working lol
snow report
rob@rar, to be fair who cares about same sex wink
snow conditions
snobunni, Try these as well. For singles and cheaper.
snow report
snobunni wrote:
rob@rar, to be fair who cares about same sex wink

Shall I mention that in the email to your husband? Wink
latest report
Colin B, thanks for that, looks like a very viable alternative to the snoworks trip!

Yay! Snowheads is soooooooo useful!
snow conditions
rob@rar, lol we're all just there for the snow is what i meant!
ski holidays
Colin B, half the price, half the duration, one-third of the food - ergo much the same cost Wink
ski holidays
eng_ch, true, but much smaller initial debit from the bank statement that my husband will see lol

plus waiting for confirmation from snoworks regarding sharing with other single travellers, if not its another £750, ouch

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 18-04-08 13:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snobunni, very true
snow report
what about new-zealand?
snow report
Having been to both, NZ is not in the same league.
snow report
Snobunni,

Chile looks the place to go, but all the package deals I have looked at are megga trips offering high quality hotels and ski all the best locations.
Good if you want to spend the money and have the time.
It looks like it can be done DIY.
We are trying to get our heads around it, check thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39122&highlight=
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snobunni,
If you intend to go skiing, either here in Argie or in Chile, then try to avoid the school winter holidays (9th of July to the 3rd of August for my kids), as contrary to popular opinion, it will not be cheap. For example check the prices for Portillo or Chillián on this site - http://www.chileanski.com/eng. For this reason we're going to Catedral (Bariloche) and Chapelco (San Martín de los Andes) this year.
It can be done DIY (this is how we book our trips) but you had better speak Spanish, or get lucky and find someone that speaks English. Be prepared for long travel times - 12 hours minimum flight from Europe. BA takes 16 hours via Brazil. Another two to three hours flying from Buenos Aires to Bariloche or whatever resort you choose. It's going to take me at least 16 hours to drive to Bariloche this July.
The best time is around late August to early October, as that's low season and the Brazilians have gone home.
If you do come down here, make it for at least three weeks, as traveling will eat up several days. And bring your own skis, as the rental choice in these parts is shite.
latest report
snobunni,

If you brave and speak some basic spanish it is more than possible to do DIY, I backpacked it on buses with a bit of hitching though I did take a snowboard rather than skis for travel simplicity. I covered Bariloche, Chapelco (St Martin), Pucon, Termas, Valle Nevado/El Colorado and Portillo over the course of a trip (I dropped Las Lenas as the snow reports were poor and the travel from Mendoza difficult). Plus some time in BA & Santiago and some nice hiking.

The Chileans and Argentinians are very helpful and hospitable people generally and you will meet plenty of fellow Euros plus the usual suapects (Canucks , Saffers, Kiwis , Aussies) so you won't get lonely.
latest report
Thanks for the advice fatbob, dek and skier from argentina . . . my hubby's already a little nervous about me heading halfway across the world on my onw to ski, so i'm thinking the DIY option might push his tolerance a little lol I've set my heart on the snoworks trip now! Just waiting to hear re the single person supplement!
snow conditions
Yay!!!!!! Place on the Snoworks trip is held pending my employers decision re the time off (i bet you can guess what i'll tell them if they turn my holiday request down lol)! Canr wait, i' going to be insufferable in the build up, sorry! Toofy Grin
snow report
Try looking at this thread as well
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39122

One thing to bare in mind. Skiing in South America is NOT cheap. Hotels are all geared up for the North American market. Accommodation is limited this is especially true for Las Lenas , Valle Nevado, Portillo. Most Hotels are Full board basis. Lift passes are not cheap.

The best way I went around my trips was to fly into Buenos Aires on an OpenJaw ticket (fly back from Santiago) and take a couple of days there to sort your self out & relax.
I used a down town backstreet independent travel agency. How did I find an English speaking travel agent? Clever, I got the BA Hotel reception to find me one why I went out & enjoyed the city:D
Day 2 I went to the agent down town. The agent & I spent nearly 4 hours sorting out the itinerary I required including all flights (Las Lenas,Bariloche) ,hotels in both resorts,lift passes,private taxi service to/from the slopes in Bariloche, lakes boat trip to Puento Monnt Chile. I recommend the lakes trip.
(I didnt use this company but its the same trip. http://www.ripioturismo.com.ar/ebrclakescrossing.htm)

These back street independent agent work damn hard to get you a fantastic deal & they were usefull to get alot of local information.

I guarantee you your pay less booking through an Argentinian Tourist agency.

All the skiing side was taken care by by http://www.badino.com.ar/

Flights with Southern Winds but they have gone bust now.
latest report
One other thing.

Dont book anything until you know the snow has come (At least 1metre). Andes snow is notoriously unreliable!!!!
Yes the last 2 seasons have been good but they have had more bad season than good.

Best time to go is September. July & August is Peak & busy.
snow report
What Stanton says is correct. It is far cheaper, although not necessarily easier, to book your flight down here and arrange your itinerary and travel yourself. However we are right in the middle of booking our July ski trip now, as the hotels are starting to fill up for the winter. If anyone has any questions send me a message and either the wife or I can try and help or put you in touch with someone.
ski holidays
I was skiing in Argentina for 45 days last year, amazing season. My argie mate was telling me that a week ago in La Hoya there was 10cm of snow at the car park(1300meters), which is alot for this time of year. Seems like there might be a good season ahead again. I have been going to SA for the last 3 seasons, I can say that usually the snow comes abit late, mid July or so, but when it does come its loads.
I wouldnt bother staying in hotels If I were you, try staying in hostels, they tend to be pretty descent in the ski towns in Argentina, and a night will hardly cost more than 7 quid, plus you get to meet other folk that are travelling alone for the snow, so you get great parties at night, and good mates for skiing with during the day.
If you do go to Argentina, you can have fun in the ski resorts in the Lakes region, and youve got 5 ski resorts no more than 4 hours by bus from each other. My plan is to rent a little house for a couple of months with friends in Esquel(La Hoya) the next time I go to SA. Great snow there, probably the cheapest ski resort in Argentina, the people are wonderful, and there is quite a bit of backcountry to explore.
ski holidays
bjriordan wrote:
I was skiing in Argentina for 45 days last year, amazing season. My argie mate was telling me that a week ago in La Hoya there was 10cm of snow at the car park(1300meters), which is alot for this time of year. Seems like there might be a good season ahead again. I have been going to SA for the last 3 seasons, I can say that usually the snow comes abit late, mid July or so, but when it does come its loads.
I wouldnt bother staying in hotels If I were you, try staying in hostels, they tend to be pretty descent in the ski towns in Argentina, and a night will hardly cost more than 7 quid, plus you get to meet other folk that are travelling alone for the snow, so you get great parties at night, and good mates for skiing with during the day.
If you do go to Argentina, you can have fun in the ski resorts in the Lakes region, and youve got 5 ski resorts no more than 4 hours by bus from each other. My plan is to rent a little house for a couple of months with friends in Esquel(La Hoya) the next time I go to SA. Great snow there, probably the cheapest ski resort in Argentina, the people are wonderful, and there is quite a bit of backcountry to explore.

Cool Very Happy
snow report
I'll second Esquel and La Hoya. My favourite so far in S America.
ski holidays
I have not searched (Cant be bothered) but has anyone found any decent fares to SA for this coming the summer?
latest report
stanton, i've looked at flights, best fare (air canada - heathrow/toronto/santiago) i've had is £800!!!!!!! But on talking to a friend in the industry apparently this is good!!!!! I could save about £50 if i went with Iberian via Madrid but apparently what you save in fare isnt worth what you lose in service/comfort. So i shall be booking Air Canada as soon as next pay day comes around lol
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy