Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been skiing in Niederau?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are looking at going there next year and I have some questions.

How snow sure is it as we are looking to book now for next Jan and take advantage of the early bird discounts?
They have snow making facilities but are they any good?
Is lunch on the mountain expensive?

The other option is Soldeu but that doesn't look as pritty although the the skiing looks really good.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never been but i should be able to answer some of your questions...

1) Its definitely not the most snowsure resort in the alps, topping out at 1700m, although they do have plenty of snow cannon coverage. In an average winter it should be fine in January as it doesnt need a lot of snow to cover the pastureland (10-20cm) but what if the winter is below average? If you're

2) Lunch on the mountain i imagine will be similar to other nearby resorts which in my experience is cheap, especially compared to France. I wouldnt expect to pay more than 10 Euro for a decent lunch with a drink

What standard skiers are you? The area doesnt offer much for anyone beyond the early intermediate stage but is perfect for beginners or timid skiers not too fussed about high mileage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TheOtherMe, It is not very snowsure at all, but if there is no snow and you are with a TO, they will run buses to a resort which does have snow.

When I was there last year, there was no snow at all in Neiderau itself for the first 5 days, but we were taken to Kaltenbach, which had a reasonable coverage (nowhere in Europe was good last year at that time), and was about a 50 minute bus trip. One TO was taking their custmoers to Kaprun instead, which I think was a bit further.

But as Markus says, being typical Austrian, it doesn't need much coverage to give skiable runs.

There aren't many choices of place to eat on the mountain (the local mountain is not extensive), but yes, that seems about the right price area.

Soldeu is definitely not as pretty, and is probably a little more expensive, but does have a much more extensive ski area. Still aimed mainly at beginners and low intermediates.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the reply,

It will be my second week so beginner is fine. I would think that Soldeu is likely to have more snow as it is higher?

Can't wait. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to Niederau when I had about 5 days skiing - good for beginning but for me the gap from easy slopes to next level was a big leap (but that could just be me). Been to Soldeu for the past 3 years (returning to austria in 2009, venue to be confirmed) and it was great, nice progression levels. Long cruising blues to get you into it and some interesting reds - never got as far as the blacks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TheOtherMe, went nearly 20 years ago for my second week skiing - stopped in Oberau the next village - so can't really remember much apart from the last day went to Auffach at the other end of the valley and was a lot more impressed. Very pretty though typically Austrian.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yip, Neiderau is a great little family Entrylevel/Lower Intermediate resort. Further up the valley is Aufach which has a bit more extensive skiing, but still for the entry level to higher Intermediate level of skier, we skied the whole Aufach area in one day. It depends what you are looking for, the Wildschonau valley is a wonderful place with equally wonderful people, the skiing is "pleasant", if you do go seek out Stephan who owns the local " Happy Ski School" he and Herby (pretty instructor) are great guys and more than fond of a beer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TheOtherMe,
If you are looking to go in January discounts are often biggest close to departure. Unless you have either a large group to organise or a small airport that you want to fly from it is often worth waiting till near to departure time then you can be sure of going where the snow is and should get a very good price.
Height is not always a guarantee of good snow the Pyrenees has had poor snow for a couple of years I beleive but good snow for a few years before that. Austria was great this year and two years ago but poor last year. Next Year? Anyones guess.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TheOtherMe,

I am probably one of the least experienced skiers on this site and therefor do not post very often.
I have only had one week skiing for each of the last two years.

Last year I went to Soldeu...this year for my second week on the planks I went to Niederau.

So I might be able to help you...................but its only my opinion.

If it is a straight choice between the two..............NIEDERAU........without a doubt.

Beautiful place, fantastic people (Austrians), Great Ski school -4 hours a day, fabulous skiiing, beginners, blues , and yes I was on reds by the end of the week.

I was with my wife and 7 y.o. daughter and they agreed - brill for families.

We met some wonderful people -including snowHead (supereagle and chucky) and many people that go back there every year.

It is probably a better bet for snow than the Pyrenees

Final recommendation is that we will be there again end of Jan next year.

Please let me know if you want any more...........
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TheOtherMe, other snowHead will tell you the past is no indication of the future but here's the snow history for Niederau and for Soldeu
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski-finder wrote:
TheOtherMe, other snowHead will tell you the past is no indication of the future but here's the snow history for Niederau and for Soldeu

I don't think anybody (sensible) will say the past is no indication, just that it is no guarantee.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney, very true... but i've seen people get shot down before for commenting on snow history... I do think it helps give a good indication though, and I would certainly take it into consideration when making any decisions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy