Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowblading on steep, thigh deep virgin powder chutes - would you believe it?

Poster: A snowHead
Well would you??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can believe that it would be thigh deep if you were trying to blade in powder Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My daughter, a blader for many a year, would say yes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I could believe it but it would make me sick.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
S Neal, go on. Tell us what you saw/did.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 13-04-08 23:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can believe it. I can also believe just how much more fun it would be on a real pair of skis (i.e. infinitely). Stop cheating and learn to ski properly...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tried it out as an experiment in the Canyons, Utah. The feeling was absolutely exhilerating. You felt you were floating over the powder in just your ski boots with the added freedom of no poles. Once you have grasped the technique of skiing that stuff on regular skis, a proficient snowblader would conquer deep powder in no time.
skisimon, I think your last line statement is somewhat narrow-mindedness and perhaps smacks of sour grapes. Does it matter what type of equipment you use to tackle deep powder, as long as it's executed proficiently and with style and panache. You try labelling that cheating rubbish onto a snowboarder. And for your information, I both ski and blade.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm interested in the sour grapes comment. I've been skiing in thigh deep powder this season (well, stomach deep actually) so I can't be sour about that...

Apologies if I tar you with the wrong brush, but I'd say you're a yank, partly because you've been skiing in Utah (lucky git), but mainly your complete humour by-pass.

The idea of smilies is to demonstrate various tones, the funny 'ducking' out of the way of some incoming makes it fairly obvious that the 'cheating' comment was tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where at the Canyons?

I've used Line Flys in 9990, in trees above the Abyss, and in Condor Woods.

Seemed a waste to take them to One Hundred Turns, tho.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I surely believe it... I can do it on FIS-legal sticks, which I expect to float about as good as blades (IE not at all much)

I can also do it without poles... don't need blades to leave behind the poles.

Now, show us some movies how an expert blader looks in deep pow snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
S Neal, my once deep founded respect for you has now evaporated. A blader Shocked Shocked Shocked wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
S Neal, have you got video/picture evidence of your exploits. I'd imagine a pole-less venture on "skis" would be interesting at the best of times-notably through deep powder.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... First off allow me to apologise to skisimon for dismally failing to catch his intended dry humour. Albeit I ain't a yank. In a way you were right about the cheating bit, skisimon. The blades I used were 120cm in length and not the conventional 99cm.
Secondly, sadly at the time, It did not for one moment occur to me to immortalise my snowblading exploits through photography. The deed was done at a whim and mostly as an experiment. Although I have a tangible witness. But just as an afterthought; even if I did have my powder exploits photographed, for sure, one wouldn't be able to tell whether I was on skis or blades.
In answer to comprex's question: The Colony.
Frosty the Snowman, Sorry about that. Even though I'm a skier first and foremost, I've always found blading a refreshing variant from conventional skiing methods. In each of my ski trips. I always try and give a third of my time to blading. I find they both complement each other. With skiing I enjoy its intricate play of decisive disciplines. Its sharp precision, fine techniques and deceptive maneouvres. With blading you enjoy a sense of freedom and wild abandonment that eludes you on regular skis. When blading you can get a rough idea how a snowboarder feels when riding. The freedom to use your upper limbs and shoulder parts no matter how demading the terrain is. And as we all know by now, blading does play an essential role in helping to maintain a correct stance when on conventional skis.
My primary reason in starting this thread is to highlight the fact that the majority of bladers you have seen or will have seen on the slopes, are blading incorrectly. It is either through ill instruction or nil instruction. What you must look out for when you spot a blader on piste is that notable Z shaped stance.The one major information that eludes them is that essentially, snowblades are carvers. What you see instead are guys leaning back on their blades and wriggling down the piste like some demented worm. Indeed their boundaries, as far as blading all terrain, would be drastically limited.
So anyone who plans to take up snowblading as a complement to their skiing. I urge them to take the time to seek out a reputable snowblade instructor. Me? Phil Smith coached me in the basics of snowblading. It was only for a day - but that was enough to get me hooked. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
S Neal, 120 would be the "new" norm for blades, if the information I got off Central Sports Wengen is right Smile
snow report
S Neal, Are you Steven Neal? Laughing
ski holidays
Ronald wrote:
S Neal, 120 would be the "new" norm for blades, if the information I got off Central Sports Wengen is right Smile

That's good news. Smile

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I was wondering when you were going to ask that question. Old memories, eh.. wink
ski holidays
S Neal wrote:

My primary reason in starting this thread is to highlight the fact that the majority of bladers you have seen or will have seen on the slopes, are blading incorrectly. It is either through ill instruction or nil instruction. What you must look out for when you spot a blader on piste is that notable Z shaped stance.The one major information that eludes them is that essentially, snowblades are carvers.

FAT 'carvers'.

With almost no flex to speak of, to create a nicely broad dynamic balance zone.

Combine that with the fact that the dynamic balance zone is further away than with 165cm piste skis, and it's not surprising that they stay in or close to the nice, fat, surf-like, static balance zone.

Which, given that they spent maybe half a pints' beer money on their boot fit at most, is probably for the best.
ski holidays
S Neal wrote:
Ronald wrote:

That's good news. Smile

http://www.salomonski.com/others/products/Crossmax-120-+-609-1-1-6-788990.html

Quite happy they decided to throw release bindings on them...
ski holidays
Last season a friend of mine took some blades off piste, this was about knee deep all was well till eventually, pehaps inevitable his tips went under, as he rotated forwards he stuck his arms out which also went under leaving him stuck and bent double Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
Last season a friend of mine took some blades off piste, this was about knee deep all was well till eventually, pehaps inevitable his tips went under, as he rotated forwards he stuck his arms out which also went under leaving him stuck and bent double Laughing Laughing

Ha! ha! Now let me guess..all that remained sticking out of the snow was your mate's posterior. Not a pretty site I wager. Embarassed Laughing If your friend was using 99.9 blades he was chancing it a bit. At least the 120 blades will give you more margin for error. Anyway to avoid the tips from nose diving I make an effort to ride over the snow dunes, rather than ploughing through them and some may see it as floating or skimming perhaps and with my stance remaining at all times firmly on the centre of my blades. I like to imagine I'm skiing barefoot over red hot coals to make me ski as lightly as possible on top of the loose stuff. Also my arms are constantly flung forward for impetus, balance and stability.
latest report
S Neal, So blades are being perfected? Perfection comes with lengthening the blade until alas! it becomes a real ski wink
snow conditions
S Neal wrote:
With blading you enjoy a sense of freedom and wild abandonment that eludes you on regular skis. When blading you can get a rough idea how a snowboarder feels when riding. The freedom to use your upper limbs and shoulder parts no matter how demading the terrain is.

This just in: S Neal has been secretly studying with Tai Chi Skier.

http://youtube.com/v/iu-r5NCEu8k
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
S Neal wrote:
With blading you enjoy a sense of freedom and wild abandonment that eludes you on regular skis. When blading you can get a rough idea how a snowboarder feels when riding. The freedom to use your upper limbs and shoulder parts no matter how demading the terrain is.

This just in: S Neal has been secretly studying with Tai Chi Skier.

http://youtube.com/v/iu-r5NCEu8k

Gad! That scoundrel has pinched my props!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin
latest report
Out of interest, while I'm sure you *can* snowblade in as deep powder as you like, why would I want to? This feels like the "I don't need fat skis, my 60mm GS skis can handle it fine!" argument... I'm sure you *can*, but I can just about link a carved turn using the flat part of my ski boot. Doesn't mean it's particularly fun compared to the alternatives Wink
snow report
DaveC, one does it because one can, gets bored swiftly, then moves on to bigger and better things

like inside hip lead.
snow report
I've met S Neal, and I can confirm he's no Yank - and that he does have a sense of humour. I've not skied with him (though it would be nice to one day) but I have no doubt that what he says is what he did - he just comes over as that sort of bloke. I take Rossfra8's point about blades becoming short skis, though.

Interesting thread. Taking up one of S Neal's points, I wonder if skiers' prejudice against bladers is similar to our prejudice against boarders - we tend to look down on both because too many have not been properly instructed, and are not blading/boarding properly. I had my eyes opened in La Grave this season as to what a good boarder could do - I bet I could be amazed watching a good blader, too.
latest report
achilles wrote:
I wonder if skiers' prejudice against bladers is similar to our prejudice against boarders

"our" (should probably read "my") prejudice against boarders seems to only come from the older generations, or must be a tourist thing - pretty sure it's a dying prejudice. It's totally different to disliking snowbladers, because snowbladers have perfectly valid reasons to be hated and persecuted Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okay guys, although I dismally failed to to video myself snowblading Utah's champane powder. I did the next best thing in managing to video myself snowblading The Canyons longest ski run. Situated in an area called The Colony. The scenic run took me 5 mins to ski it and I wasn't taking my time. Please be patient with the opening shots of the video, it will soon right itself and after that.. Just sit back, hold on to your seat, turn up the volume and enjoy the ride!.
http://colony2.blogspot.com
snow report
S Neal wrote:
Please be patient with the opening shots of the video, it will soon right itself and after that.. Just sit back, hold on to your seat, turn up the volume and enjoy the ride!.[/url]

Have you heard of editing videos before posting them??? A little effort on your part will pay dividends IMHO Very Happy
latest report
S Neal, thanks for sharing the video. Please remove it from your post above, as the resort is already too busy. Make sure everyone knows how bad the snow is, how Dreamcatcher leads to ungroomed runs, etc.

Oh, and next time you're there, look to your left at the top of the Cabriolet lift. That's where my place is.
snow report
S Neal,
Quote:
With blading you enjoy a sense of freedom and wild abandonment that eludes you on regular skis.

I might elude you, mate, but not everyone else feels as restricted on ski as you clearly do. I also fail to see what's so magical about not using poles. rolling eyes

Still, each to his own. Toofy Grin
snow report
PJSki wrote:
S Neal,
Quote:
With blading you enjoy a sense of freedom and wild abandonment that eludes you on regular skis.

I also fail to see what's so magical about not using poles. rolling eyes

Put that same question to a snowboarder. Better still, why don't you try it yourself, who knows, you might surprise yourself. wink
snow report
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. kitenski, you miss the obvious point. Hardly anybody on the slopes in the video. Must open up the piccies someone sent me today by email. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
S Neal, I've skied without poles, I've bladed without them and I've even boarded, but I'll take the combination of full length skis and poles over the others any day of the week, thank you very much.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
S Neal, thanks for sharing the video. Please remove it from your post above, as the resort is already too busy. Make sure everyone knows how bad the snow is, how Dreamcatcher leads to ungroomed runs, etc.

Oh, and next time you're there, look to your left at the top of the Cabriolet lift. That's where my place is.

Gorgeous piccy, Foxy. The next time I'm there I will try and remember to look to the left at the top of the Cabriolet lift and if you're in, maybe share a bottle of fine wine in the restaurant at the top of the Payday lift.
BTW, am I anywhere near your place? As you can see, I'm waving at you.
ski holidays
S Neal, you'd need to zoom out a bit for me to get a better idea.

The pic of me is somewhere off Panorama.
latest report
S Neal, is that your laptop resting against the piste marker behind you? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
achilles, it is a sign describing the history of the derelict mining building situated behind me. Silver Mine, if I remember rightly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy