Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First weekend in May - Val d'Isere or elsewhere?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowheads. I'm hoping to get a last weekend's skiing in over the first May bank holiday, leaving on Thursday night after work and returning Monday evening. I was planning to head to Val d'Isere but although I had found some flights at good times to Geneva, we'll probably get the train now if we go there because it's quite a long drive from the airport for a weekend. As a consequence, the prices are adding up a bit so the question is - are we being stupid going to Val d'Isere? Is there a better option for that weekend (cheaper and/or nearer an airport)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NatalieG, i think Val D'Isere closes on 4th may - that is the sunday, does that matter?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, no, that's ok. I know that it's supposed to, which is why we've decided to take Friday off work - although a friend of a friend who has an apartment there reckons that it might stay open an extra day? Not sure if that's at all likely but either way an extra day in the mountains will be nice. Thanks though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NatalieG, grands montets just over 1 hour from GVA doesn't close till may 11th...no idea what will be open in Val but I'd expect the GMs to be a better bet...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NatalieG, Tignes is open longer - could be better to go there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go for Tignes or Grands Montets depending on what you want to do - Grands Montets if you're pretty confident skiers and want to do some off-piste (plus the freeride days party at GM that Sunday), Tignes for more linked, groomed runs available, and probably a bigger area open.

Chamonix is doing a deal on the passes until closing day where you buy one and then get the second day for one euro which is pretty good.

You'll have no problems with accomodation so you could leave it pretty late to decide and go to whichever has the best conditions at the time...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, will definitely consider Tignes or Grands Montets (Tignes sounds more likely, I'm definitely looking for more linked, groomed runs) - what about Austria? Anywhere worth considering there for that weekend?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NatalieG, I am heading to Innsbruck on easyjet for that w/end: Stubai, Pitztal, Kaunertal glaciers should all be open. Solden and Ischgl's last day is the Sunday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tignes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NatalieG, We are doing a May Bank Holiday Special offer - Thursday to Monday or Friday to Tuesday £119 catered including Geneva transfers. PM me if you would like full details.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
NatalieG, We are doing a May Bank Holiday Special offer - Thursday to Monday or Friday to Tuesday £119 catered including Geneva transfers. PM me if you would like full details.

Good people at Les Melezes Wink was enjoyable back in Oct'
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NatalieG, Hintertux will still have masses of skiing available that weekend. About 2.5 hours drive from Salzburg or 1.25 from Innsbruck.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
£119 catered including Geneva transfers.

that sounds a very good deal! A transfer could easily cost more than half that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NatalieG wrote:
Thanks, will definitely consider Tignes or Grands Montets (Tignes sounds more likely, I'm definitely looking for more linked, groomed runs) - what about Austria? Anywhere worth considering there for that weekend?

Grand Montets is the Tignes glacier. We currently have masses of snow here, and expect Tignes to be fully open that weekend.
Try Dragon Lodge, tignes.co.uk, or Alpaka Lodge for accommodation (and help with transfers).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kenzie wrote:
Grand Montets is the Tignes glacier.

Grand Montets is in Chamonix. The Grand Motte is Tignes glacier.
ski holidays
Joanne Mountainsun, have sent you a PM. Thanks everyone.
latest report
I'd go to Tignes, I went there a couple of years ago for May Day & it was superb. The runs at Val d'Isere were quite slushy in comparison.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
Grand Montets is the Tignes glacier.

Grand Montets is in Chamonix. The Grand Motte is Tignes glacier.

Embarassed Opps, sorry, my misread!
latest report
Kenzie, one glacier's much like another! Given the current weather and forecast, early May in Tignes should be fantastic.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy