Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Light v heavy skis - advantages & disadvantages?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for all the advice on my thread about buying new skis more suited to off piste.
Have been back out to look for wider skis on snowheads advice. Now looking at wider ones - around 85 under foot.
"Movement Spicey" are really light compared say to the exclusive legend powder skis.
What difference will this make either on or off piste? It isnt proving easy to test the skis before buying!

I'm only small and light (5ft and 7.5 stone) so think I fancy the lighter ones... Does this make sense?

Sorry to ask so many questions - and thanks for the help. It is such a lot of money to spend I want to try to get it right!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO this is very much a matter of personal taste. Light skis are generally more nimble (and easier to carry!) but get thrown around more by cut up/bumpy snow. Heavier skis vice versa.

With heaviness and lightness often go other characteristics - eg, you'd expect heavy skis to be stiffer - but these are just rules of thumb

I like heavy skis (except when I am touring) but I am quite a big bloke and my style doesn't involve throwing the skis around too frenetically
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno wrote:

I like heavy skis (except when I am touring) but I am quite a big bloke and my style doesn't involve throwing the skis around too frenetically

Is this code for "you ski a bit limp wristedly"? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayne durham wrote:

I'm only small and light (5ft and 7.5 stone) so think I fancy the lighter ones... Does this make sense?

Also check binding weight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mostly when carrying them and women tend to notice these things..

Some skis are tiring to ski but that might not be about weight...

A K2 *luv type ski and a rental binding will be some weight... not sosure about the Spicy but its brother, the Spark is a good lighter weight without if getting thrown about to much.... It will not tank through gunk like a beefy heavier ski would, but then you probably wouldn't want to be skiing that anyway.. I am not talking about NA crud here, either...which is chopped powder, I am talking about refrozen wind blown hideous stuff...

Go with the Spicy.. first and then powder plus.. IMV...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT,
Quote:

Mostly when carrying them and women tend to notice these things

And how! Just getting my iXRCs up on to my shoulder is difficult - but they ski brilliantly on piste. (Off-piste is fine too, but only if you want to combine skiing in the European Alps with an instant trip to Australia! rolling eyes )
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which ones do you have?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, 800s, fitted with Diagonal 'Superlight' (????) bindings - an end-of-season Snow & Rock bargain a couple of years ago. Actually, am thinking of hiring in future. Travelling with skis has become an expensive hassle, not helped by being pixie-sized - manouevring my ski bag is always awkward! And the cost doesn't stack up if I'm doing only 2 or 3 weeks per season and, even then, hiring other skis for different conditions. There again, I might be tempted into buying a more all-terrain type ski, at some point... Dunno. Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dont think I want as you say to "tank through gunk"!

If powder is heavier - like it is at the moment.... Does that favour a heavier ski coz it cuts through easier - or a lighter ski so I can turn it more easily??

And yes.... as a girlie I like the idea of it being lighter to carry!

But hey - I have read posts that talk about the graphics and have to say I am not even thinking about graphics OR colour!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayne durham,

I would say a heavier or beefier ski... The Mantra would tank through pretty well as it is a beefy-ish ski though not outrageously heavy ski.
I don't think heavy powder is much of a factor... I am talking crust and beyond before it becomes a factor.

I think the Spark/Spicy would a be a good way to go..if not too expensive. I don't carry skis anymore ..through cost and convenience, but there is a downside to that. Sometimes you can't find a good ski... I had some not so well tuned skis in Le Grave, and smaller resorts might not have your 'wish list'..but then that is how I found the Spark.. I talked to a tech in a well stocked ski-shop..told him what type I was looking for...that marked my card in his eyes, I think, and he said try this and that.. So the knowledge of that tech and his stock turned me on to a very good ski... I'd want something a bit wider for all round and only the thought of lugging them to resorts in the way I travel, stops me buying what I want.

I have found some gem skis...not through my research as such, but from the local ski shop telling me about their fave ski... This has happened in 3-4 resorts recently.

Skis I have found this way have been, Bandit XX, Intuitiv 74, Stormrider XL, Recons, Snake BC, Mantra, (3 versions) Havocs, Kilowatts, Laser SL, Race Tiger. X wing Fury...... to name a few...might be a few more that I can't recall...

I have had a few turkeys as well, but the shops have been happy enough to swap them over......sometime for a small charge, sometimes not...

Other skis, I have liked the sound of... have been the Fischer Vision Zeal, Scott Aztec Maya... for women

Having this conversation with Kitenski who is looking for a ski for his wife, maybe look up his ski posts..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks very much
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayne durham, If your technique is good then you can impart more force into turns without losing stability and so can handle lighter skis. I tour with K2 Shuksans which feel considerably lighter than B3 Rossignols which many tour with and I am grateful for this reduction if I am skiing heli or cat drops in big powder at speed I would like a bit more weight but again am much more concerned about my technique than the ski weight. On piste at speed would prefer a stiffer ski over weight but as Arno says this could be related to weight. Saying all this I really dislike the Atomic Metron range as they are just like bricks, fair enough they can tank through gunk but I don't want to ski in gunk!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy