Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best resorts you've never heard of...

Poster: A snowHead
I reckon it's a good idea for Snowheads to post those lesser known resorts here. I went to a small resort in Italy several years ago, which, whilst by no means a world beating resort, deserves a mention to kick off proceedings:-

Alpe di Mera
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Rosiere
Never heard of the place until it was/is pimped relentlessly on here Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 11-04-08 12:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Lenzerheide years ago, was really goo.
Just back from Gressoney/Staffal - excellent area
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to some place once Never really thought about it but the skiing was amazing lifts where not great but it was fantastic any one heard of it?

Its called Scotland Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ordhan, Did it once never been back Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davef wrote:
Went to Lenzerheide years ago, was really goo.
Just back from Gressoney/Staffal - excellent area

I was in Gressoney over Easter - it is good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Superdevoluy was once the best resort I'd never heard of. Then I got to hear about it (and how great it was supposed to be) and ski it. Avoid like the plague. Probably the bleakest and ugliest resort in the world. Someone must have got a massive kickback for taking the English Alpine Champs there all those years ago.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where is resort X ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JP, Search Function!

La Rosiere it must be...I too had never heard of it prior to this place.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rungsp,
Quote:

JP, Search Function!

Tried it got 23,266 hits on 582 pages, a lot to wade through. Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coñazo in Spain.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Montafon in Austria. the skiing is fantastic and with all the resorts in the valley combined on one pass, (but unconnected) its bigger than St Anton. However the night life sucks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zauchensee.

Never heard of it, skied it, loved it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Badger Pass in California. Californias oldest ski resport. I visited in June and there was still laods of snow on the ground so it gets tons during the season. Small, quaint but must be a worth a visit and a ski?
latest report
Where's Megamum when you need her wink
latest report
bh1, "Coñazo in Spain."

You're rumbled! Laughing
snow report
jb1970, Where did you stay, we were in the Ellex in Staffal. Nice hotel with good food, but only one bar open in the evenings.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Where's Megamum when you need her wink

Best resorts?
ski holidays
I loved the piece I read about Mad River Glen at the start of the season. A sort of co-operatively owned/run resort in Vermont. Sounds like a really interesting place...

This is the resort that decided to replace a single chair with another single chair, despite the double chair being a cheaper option. Shocked
latest report
I enjoyed my pre-Christmas trip to Flachau, inAustria, which I only heard about through snowheads (via a thread about Warain).
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
The Montafon in Austria.

I'm hoping to get there next season. It looks good, and as you say, little known.
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
jbob wrote:
The Montafon in Austria.

I'm hoping to get there next season. It looks good, and as you say, little known.

By the English perhaps rolling eyes It's a very popular place for the Germans/Austrians though...
snow report
Markus, I was meaning on snowHeads....as is the title of the thread.
latest report
I couldn't say.
snow report
Elizabeth B, ah yes, sorry Neh Neh

I'd have to add all the other resorts in the Ziller Valley apart from Mayrhofen. They get criminally overlooked for some reason Puzzled
snow conditions
La Hoya, Argentina
http://www.welcomeargentina.com/lahoya/index_i.html

Castle Mountain, Alberta, Canada
http://www.skicastle.ca/

Antillanca, Chile
http://www.skiantillanca.cl/

Trafoi, Italy
http://www.ortlerskiarena.com/de/trafoi/

Kurodake, Japan
http://www.rinyu.co.jp/kurodake/index.html

Ohau, New Zealand
http://www.ohau.co.nz/index.cfm/welcome

Stranda, Norway
http://www.strandafjellet.no/Sider08/default.asp?lang=eng

Turner Mountain, Montana, USA
http://www.skiturner.com/

Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales
http://www.breconbeacons.org/
http://www.adrenalintrip.net/powder-brecon-beacons/forum/viewtopic/1/76501?siteid=1&sid=87f0e0aa2c7aacb355f1e76d7bedcf01
snow conditions
Plattekill in New York. Mt. Rose of Nevada at Tahoe. Just a couple of examples.

With good snow, ANY resort will please just about ANYONE! Many of the smaller resorts aren't not targeting the international jet-setting crowd. Little snow making, no base lodging etc. The benefit being, there's never any lift lines, even in big holidays. And not having to worry about being crashed into while stopping for a photo break on piste.

A list of these kind of resorts can go on and on. But I'm not confident to recommend anyone making a holiday reservation to any of them unless I know what their like and dislikes... Most of these "little gems" don't cater to EVERYONE. One has to pick and choose what one consider important in a ski holiday. Choose carefully, and with a bit of luck with snow, one can have masive fun in some of these "little known" resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mt Hotham, Australia
latest report
A couple of years ago, I'd never heard of a place called Grimentz.

Now I have an apartment there Very Happy
snow conditions
Red Mountain
snow report
abc, Have to agree about Mt. Rose - especially on an Tues. if they still do 2 for 1, $20 each Toofy Grin

Most of the other little mountains around Tahoe are good too - Alpine Meadows, Sugarbowl, Homewood to name some more Smile
snow conditions
Mt Bachelor, near Bend in Oregon. Great snow record, long season, fantastic tree skiing and not too busy.
snow report
I'd go with Mt. Rose, great for a day with some really tough runs. The "beehive" is etched on my memory/posterior! For over 60's it's almost skiing for free!
latest report
I have been to Bariloche in Argentina - Nice quaint swiss style town, but limited ski area.
ski holidays
Oh and La Rosiere is great to whip over the mountain into La Thuile in Italy
latest report
A second vote for Mt bachelor in Oregon. I had a 23 inch powder day there 2 weeks ago Madeye-Smiley . very extensive ski-all-around volcano, long runs, lots of superb trees to explore

Crystal mountain, Washington. Great steep terrain for experts, near seattle.

Mt Hood Meadows, Oregon. Heather Canyon is an expert paradise, and some fun all round volcano cruising

Schweitzer, Idaho. fantastic all-round terrain, epic tree-skiing, pleasant little mountain village, very good snow record
ski holidays
Doubt if many here know of Crest Voland, but it is a great little resort linked to Les Saisies in France.
snow conditions
Hurtle,
Quote:

halfhand wrote:
Where's Megamum when you need her

Best resorts?

Resort X of course - never heard of it
ski holidays
davef wrote:
jb1970, Where did you stay, we were in the Ellex in Staffal. Nice hotel with good food, but only one bar open in the evenings.

Sorry, just noticed you posted this, we stayed in Pont saint Martin a village about 20 mins/30 mins drive down the valley. I was staying with my in-laws.

I thought Gressoney was great though. I was there when I was more or less a beginner and hated it (not suited to beginners really) but now, that I know what I am doing (yeah right!!), I can appreciate it more.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy