Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I rent or buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I've a ski trip coming up in a week. I've never skiied before, don't have any ski wear and am not sure if I'll ski again after this trip. Should I rent ski wear at the resort? I was told it'll be expensive and I should buy, but the prices of ski wear I see on the internet are not cheap either. Anybody knows roughly the prices of ski wear rental at resorts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you going? I recommend renting. Don't buy unless you intend to ski again in the future. I work in a ski store and people ask me this all the time... as a beginner you probably wont be able to feel the difference between better or worse products anyway. Just stay warm and you'll have fun.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
neverskiied,

Welcome to snowheads snowHead

Try ebay for a cheap jacket and salopettes. My mates picked up their kit for under £30 the lot. Maybe borrow gloves & goggles off a friend? (or just use some 'ordinary gloves and sunglasses, you shouldn't hit any really harsh weather this late in the season, more likely to suffer sunburn than frostbite Very Happy . You don't need to spend a fortune (although with one week to go, you better move fast wink )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doc4, - welcome to snowHead 's Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
neverskiied, Doc4, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Ask around friends, neighbours, colleagues etc to see if anyone can lend you some stuff for free. Have a look in your wardrobe and see if there is anything that can be used (eg a waterproof jacket worn on top of a fleece will do the same job as a ski jacket). Otherwise, ebay, tkmaxx and decathlon are good places to look for cheap gear.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
neverskiied, I second Elizabeth B's suggestion to look at what you already have. It may not be ideal, but waterproof walking kit may well do the job. Good ski gear is designed with skiing in mind, and has advantages, but like all these things, a lot of it is down to marketing. I skied a bit with a mate who represented Scotland in his teens; he wore jeans and a duffle coat (with me, not racing, SFAIK); admittedly he didn't fall over, which you will, so he didn't need waterproof kit. Otherwise, the cheapo cheapo places mentioned; Tchibo's web site is worth a look.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks very much for the excellent suggestions, everyone. Very Happy I won't be able to borrow ski wear, cos nobody I know in London does skiing. Anybody has any idea of rental prices, so I can compare them with stuff in stores?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
neverskiied, you can rent ski trousers for £20 from ski shops and if you do not like skiing then you have lost nothing, and I would recommend buying a cheap jacket form Ebay or TK Maxx because they are good to have even if you do not ski again
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We bought some cheep "skiing trousers" from Blacks a few years ago in the end of season sale. We've also got some goggles but most of the rest of the stuff we use is just ordinary walking/outdoor stuff. Seems to work fine at our level of skiing. The trousers have two advantages over ordinary waterproofs - they're lined (handy for cold temps) and have a gaiter to stop snow going down your legs/boots However, I'd bet you could get away with an ordinary pair of waterproofs if needed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't wear jeans, unless you like being damp and cold.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy