Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Swiss Wall

Poster: A snowHead
Ozboy wrote:
polo wrote:
@IanTr, Tortin in Verbier is a piece of cake compared to Swiss wall......or was it Tartin Puzzled

And it’s avoriaz as opposed to morzine

Geographically it’s in Champery Les Crossets and not sure if the lift back up is included in the Avoriaz area ski pass?

Definitely not on the Avoriaz ticket, the run is as per the name in Switzerland.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes technically....the top of the ridge is the border between France and Swiss, I normally arrive from avoriaz centre, and obviously all lifts are covered by PdS pass
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Chavanette
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the 3 times i have been i have skied it once and that was enough. To many who just don't have the ability to ski it making it dangerous and it just isn't enjoyable for me. My legs were knackered after it. Chair down for me and will be again in March
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Geographically it’s in Champery Les Crossets and not sure if the lift back up is included in the Avoriaz area ski pass?

I'm 99% certain it isn't (included, that is)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 7-01-20 17:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mikeelsa, when I used to guide clients around the PdS in the early 90s I would actively discourage them from the wall, unless I was confident they'd all enjoy it. We'd usually ski Machon or head to Linga and the bumps run above Renard.

On the lovely vid above, I was in Park City once, and fancying myself as being reasonably competent in the bumps, I tried the Olympic bumps course. Never again. It wasn't even icy. But very, very steep and the bumps were huge. There were teams training on it later that day.

Given that that is routine training for those folks, the wall would be the sort of thing they'd do on one ski and blindfolded, for giggles.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@Ozboy, cripes, I could easily hide behind one of those moguls... Shocked

That's a scary thought Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lovely video of Ben Cavet.
I like bumps but that kind of thing is a good reminder that there is a world of difference being pretty decent for a holiday skier and actually good at skiing!

Is he wearing Full Tilts? Nice to see that flexons are still boot of choice for some bump skiers after all these years...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo wrote:
@IanTr, Tortin in Verbier is a piece of cake compared to Swiss wall......or was it Tartin Puzzled

And it’s avoriaz as opposed to morzine

Big call that!

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
Lovely video of Ben Cavet.
I like bumps but that kind of thing is a good reminder that there is a world of difference being pretty decent for a holiday skier and actually good at skiing!

Is he wearing Full Tilts? Nice to see that flexons are still boot of choice for some bump skiers after all these years...

Yes he wears Full Tilts, as do all the US/Canadian teams. It's pretty much accepted as the boot of choice for mogul skiers now, along with IDone skis. Although Ben uses the Rossi's that heaven't changed in 10+ years accept for the colour.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Yes he wears Full Tilts, as do all the US/Canadian teams. It's pretty much accepted as the boot of choice for mogul skiers now, along with IDone skis. Although Ben uses the Rossi's that heaven't changed in 10+ years accept for the colour.

It is pretty amazing that a boot design that has hardly changed since the late 70s is still so competitive. What an awesome piece of industrial design.
(disclosure I started skiing in FT's a couple of years ago out of curiosity having skiied Flexons in the 90s. Love them)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jedster, Never tried them. What’s the USP?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, you need narrow feet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raichle_Flexon
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, very progressive flex. Popular on the DH circuit in the 70s and 80s as well - so additional absorption and forgiveness. As well as those very funny exposed Marker bindings Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I remember lusting after a yellow and black pair in the 80’s. Alas was just a poor student and ended up in some 2nd hand Nordicas...
latest report
altis wrote:
@BobinCH, you need narrow feet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raichle_Flexon

Thanks. Good read!
snow conditions
I became an even poorer student by buying some black and pink / purple ones wink Loved them, my lad now skis in Full Tilts, as do many park rats.
snow report
Have skied The Wall several times, never with style. First couple of times it was pure survival but the last few times I felt like I was skiing it ok but in short bursts. Actually having to stop now and again to wait for the carnage below to clear does let you get your breath back Laughing
Yes it is a bit easier down skiers left.
latest report
You need a swiss-side pass or PdS pass. Interestingly (but perhaps only to me Confused ), when the PdS was being linked-up in the 60's, the chair had to be ratified by the French parliament, since the bottom station is in Switzerland and the top station in France.
snow report
IanTr wrote:
How do SHers think the Swiss Wall compares to the Tortin at Verbier? Or the Piste du Chamois at Zinal?

For the sake of discussion let’s say each with decent conditions underfoot and overhead.

Swiss Wall - steeper and more intimidating at the top - but gets easier pretty quickly. As others have noted there are options for wide traverses.

Tortin - not as scary at the start but a much longer slog. So more physically demanding.
ski holidays
We tend to use the Swiss wall as a quick and easy way to get to Champery, especially in the holidays when there is big lift queues for the Tour lift.
ski holidays
Swiss Wall tips, from a my most recent run on Sunday.

- a pair of 153cm Atomic S9s makes the whole thing much, much easier.
- being fat, unfit and a tired/sleep-deprived new (relatively) father does not.

Happy skiing, SHers!
snow report
@Harry Flashman, i’d counter the last point, in my mind I’d be thinking ‘Be Nice please! it -if I crash and burn I’ll get a nice rest in hospital’
snow report
@frejul, +1
I have skied the wall many times, but never boarded it - I can do moguls on a board, but they're not a load of fun.
I have boarded Tortin, though probably wouldn't do it again.
I was lulled in as it did not look super gnarly at the top, but by half way my legs were knackered.
It was a sunny day so I sat at the side for a bit to enjoy the views, before doing the second half.
With the wall though - like Harry says conditions are everything.
In the 80s there was a race called the Derby de Chavanette. The winner got a 13" portable telly Smile
It was revived a few years back, and there's some interesting vids around on youtube.
snow report
Agree with these comments.
Pretty much any run is doable in the right conditions, in powder on a snowboard no problem.
However, windswept, icy, hard pack totally different prospect and agree dangerous.
Been down in twice in succession in powder picking turns easily around moguls had an absolute ball and thought I was the boss.
Went down in poor conditions and scared myself to death must have slid on my back bottom after falling most of it. Limped off to lick my wounds in a bar.
latest report
A good few years ago, on my old straight skis, I was pretty confident on moguls and would always have a go.

That was before a 10 year break. Since I got back to skiing 6 years ago, on new skis, my technique for moguls has gone awol, so I think that I would opt for discretion. Very Happy
snow conditions
There is a really very comfortable chairlift with some fine views that delivers you from the top of the wall to a point half way to Les Crosets. Highly recommended unless you want that tick in the box.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy