Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Scotland ? ( Now plus TR and back corries notes)

Poster: A snowHead
Snow looks good and even some prospects of more. I'm strongly considering snatching a day skiing in Scotland tomorrow, or start of next week. Mrs Snowball who doesn't ski has agreed to go up by the overnight train to Glasgow on Friday night and return Sunday night - hiring a car in between. I then get to go up a day early or come back later and get in some skiing. It is the only way I could hope to get more than the 25 days I have had already.
How are the prospects? Nevis (which I prefer because of the back corries) or Aviemore?
Could anyone up there take friday or monday off to join me?
(I know this should really be in Trips but I need a quick reaction and reckoned I'd get it on here)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-04-08 14:02; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Imight be interested in that...need to speak to mrs horizon. But why not ski during the weekend rather than on Fri or Mon?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Because this is an extension on the agreed 3 (slightly extended) weeks of skiing I can go off and leave Mrs Snowball each year while she works. I want to keep her on-side about my skiing. The only way is to give her a weekend in Scotland with me and then I get to ski Friday or perhaps Monday or Monday and Tuesday when she is in London. I reckon if snow is good it will be quite crowded on the weekend anyway with long waits for lifts at Aviemore (ie East).
It looks like the sleeper is £95 return plus about the same again for a twin berth sleeping compartment including continental breakfast. (much nicer than that couchette in France!) If you prefer Aviemore the Inverness train might be better.
Glasgow to Glencoe is a bit over 2 hours drive. To Nevis at least another half hour. Not sure how early we could get a car in Glasgow (I'll try to find out)..
There seems slightly more snow in the East but both look good. Weather will get hotter during the weekend and later so freezing level will be half way up the mountain - but it will still be snowing in the East (so perhaps raining on lower slopes?
Not sure if the back bowl at Nevis will be open but I'm hoping so. The snow there is often deeper than on the front. If we did Monday and Tuesday we could do a day at Nevis and a day at Glencoe. Of course you two could ski the weekend too if you wanted.
There is always the risk that weather will change if we ski after the weekend.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 10-04-08 13:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Monday and Tuesday are looking better weather wise at cairngorm than the weekend, but if you have the chance go to Nevis, even if the Braveheart chair doesn't run the back corries are looking amazing at the moment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Dave Horsley, Looks like I'm tending to Monday-Tuesday, and Nevis, then.
Car hire in Glasgow would be 8am which means you couldn't ski till about 10.30 in Glencoe and 11.00 at Nevis if you wanted to go up on Friday night on the same train as us, horizon, and share a car. There is a problem with returning the car on the final evening since the office closes at 6.00, which would cut the afternoon skiing a bit. I'm considering driving back to London in the hire car (costs extra £55 + petrol but saves about £75 on the train).
I'll book B&B if you like, when you know if/when you are coming (but don't wait too long!!!!!!!)
See recent Skiing in Aviemore post for current snow and http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=892638#892638 (2/3 down page) for what the back bowl at Nevis looks like.

Any chance of you skiing, Dave Horsley? Or how about you roga, firstracks, winterhighland etc ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, I'll be at cairngorm over the weekend, but can't take the time off work on Monday. May skip a day midweek if conditions are looking particularly good. May be touring over the back on Sunday. I promised to "lead" a mounatin tour for HNSC last sunday but had to cancel due to the weather. I've said I'll do it any other weekend and I've had interest for this weekend. Have to see how it goes - at least over the back i might get some freshies, but that will be tempered by the fact I'll probably be skiing with some weak downhill skiers, which will mean sticking to fairly easy slopes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well if horizon, skis on the weekend you could meet up. Or perhaps I might get special dispensation to ski with you part of Sunday.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave Horsley wrote:
Monday and Tuesday are looking better weather wise at cairngorm than the weekend

That will do nicely then - can't get there until Sunday night! Will be there with OH who will want to play on the West Wall. Swearing boarder-bird (old) in a heap probably somewhere other than W.Wall will be me; come and say hello.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SCGB is giving snow falling every day - incuding Sat-Tuesday- (sometimes rain on lower slopes) at Aviemore, but only a little snow on Monday and no rain (and sun Very Happy on Sunday and Tuesday) at Nevis.
JanA, looks like we probably won't meet then.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 10-04-08 14:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Must admit Nevis Range looks white enough in here

Anybody known a good web cam site showing the Cairngorm or Glenshee? Cairngorm declared 50% lift open. Glenshee has 4 out of 21 open. Nevis Range got 9 open out of 12, according to http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/.

Look like Nevis Range is the site to go this weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anybody known a good web cam site showing the Cairngorm or Glenshee

Yes and no
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
double post Embarassed

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 10-04-08 14:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still image here
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or more usefully:

http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=cg

If you look down the right hand side there are links to Alan's White Lady cameras on the SSC hut, and the weather station, plus links to all the other Cairngorm webcams (7 in total).

I'm afraid Glenshee doesn't have a web cam
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And this page http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/webcams/index.php shows most of the usefull webcams on one page.
ski holidays
Great to see more peeps heading north Very Happy

I'm in Austria at the mo so cannae get up at the moment (sods law I know Wink ) but the snow looks as good (if not better) i Scotland actually, LOL Laughing

Hoping to make it up later in the month or at the start of May though.
ski holidays
Just looked on the Winterhighland Cairngorm webcam, snow definitely looks better Shocked Laughing snowHead

Funny how I'm rather chuffed to be able to say that!
snow report
OK, everything changed: I now have the OK from Mrs Snowball to ski the weekend (and I'll stay on for the monday). I'll drive up to Scotland on Friday, so if anyone wants to take the sleeper to Glasgow I can probably pick them up and take them to the slopes.

So - who's coming.
snow conditions
Skiied Glencoe yesterday and Nevis today. Back corries were fantastic-top off of the Goose in excellent nick. Glencoe "not so much". Deffinately opt for Nevis!
latest report
I think i'm gonna be going up tomorrow night too from Gloucestershire with the misses maybe will decide tonight.
Breakfast in Morrisons when it opens at Fort William Sat Morning and into the rest rooms to change to Ski gear Smile
I would be doing Nevis Saturday,B+B in Fort William Sat Night and Glencoe Sunday.

Regards Mark
snow report
Topsmoke, Glencoe not worth it. Stick to Nevis.
snow conditions
looking likely I could wangle a meeting in Glasgow w/c 21st, is Glencoe still closed mid week?
snow conditions
what's the drive time from Glasgow to Ben Nevis or Cairngorm?
snow conditions
kitenski, just some days sometimes, you really have to check, again go to Nevis it's worth the extra half hour! Was at Glencoe on Wed and it was not very good, Nevis today was fantastic.

horizon, Glencoe hour and a half, Nevis 2 hours depending on how you drive, and what you drive I guess.
ski holidays
right im definately up for this weekend at nevis, just waiting for the mrs to come home and see if she wants to join me. if she does'nt i will drive tomorrow night and will have space to take one or two so if anyone wants a lift and lives on the route i can oblige but will be heading back on sunday afternoon after skiing as cant take monday off. Will probally ski glencoe on sunday for quicker getaway.
If no one wants to come I will still make the trip and hopefully meet some snowheads at morrisons or there abouts on the slopes.
Mrs will be home soon so will post soon if i have a space from london.
plan to leave 9-10pm tomorrow night to arrive nice and early in the fort

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 10-04-08 17:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Glencoe looks pretty damn good from the pics here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,867

as does Nevis

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,870
snow report
daveqpr, I'm also checking with the mrs. If we're coming, I may also drive from London so let's keep in touch.

Is the mrs a good skier? My wife has just got to blue run level, she might want to ski with someone of the same standard...
snow conditions
Where is Morrisons? I normally go to the place above Nevis sport for snacks (but I don't know if they do early breakfast).

Glencoe did have more snow last night I gather. If I'm up in Scotland 3 days I may do one day there. It is very small compared to Nevis and has nothing like the Backbowl (unless someone guides you down the back I suppose - I don't know if it is safe to look for it yourself) but it does have lots of character.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 10-04-08 17:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, the guy in the middle of the photo-image 6-is me. Underneath the fresh snow on top was boilerplate in places, hardpack others, whereas Nevis was soft powder snow on a soft base today.
Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is!
snow conditions
snowball, morrisons is right by the train station and next to mcdonalds,you cant miss it, not sure what time they open though as i really want to get on the 1st gondola so might go somewhere else

horizon, will let you know what mrs says but i dont think she will come, though she is a blue to red skier so i think she will be okay on the goose, summit and quad runs where as i want to go over the top into the back corries.
snow conditions
daveqpr, the runs of the quad are barely skiable, just enough to get down to the chair! Above this it is excellent though.
snow report
Rossfra8 wrote:
kitenski, the guy in the middle of the photo-image 6-is me. Underneath the fresh snow on top was boilerplate in places, hardpack others, whereas Nevis was soft powder snow on a soft base today.
Just because it looks good doesn't mean it is!

Were you skiing the same mountain ?! ? Puzzled The snow was beautiful at Glencoe yesterday !! Laughing

I grant you that early on there was some rock hard under the powder in the high traffic areas like Happy Valley and the lift lanes but by mid morning everything was kitten soft and you didn't need to use the icy morning stuff anyway when there were loads more interesting powder packed ways of connecting to the same lifts. Cool At a guess, I reckon you started at Glencoe yesterday at 9.00 a.m. and Nevis at 10.30. Come on, deny it ! wink Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 10-04-08 18:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
moffatross, I'm probably just moaning because i'm just back from 3 months in Canada however, Nevis Range today was miles ahead in terms of snow quality today!
latest report
Just spoke to mrs and unfortunately she wont be coming, but is well happy for me to go, so its game on!
I have space for one or two as i am going in my van, with loads of room in back for skis luggage etc. I will be leaving North west london tomorrow night about 9-10pm, so if any one wants to go and a car share at any point along the route (and split fuel costs) let me know.Will probally go m40 m42 m5 m6 etc.Will head for fort william for sat morning for nevis range on saturday, B&B in fort william and probally glencoe sunday, and then head back to get home sunday night.
Also any snowheads that want to meet please pm me your numbers so we can hook up.
Getting excited now as im on way into loft to get my skis down!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 10-04-08 19:09; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Rossfra8 wrote:
moffatross, I'm probably just moaning because i'm just back from 3 months in Canada however, Nevis Range today was miles ahead in terms of snow quality today!

LOL, I think they both got some fresh last night as well ....

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reports/overview/default.asp
(snipped out all of the foreign distractions Laughing )

Thursday 10 April 2008

Introduction
The Scottish resorts have also seen heavy snowfalls this week, turning conditions from good to great. Patchy areas have been filled and the new snow provides more extensive cover across the highlands.

Scotland
The recent wintry weather has transformed the conditions in Scotland and it looks set to stay for the weekend ahead. On Thursday morning at Glencoe (35/78cm) it is snowing yet again and they had 8cm overnight on Wednesday night. Fresh powder can be found on most runs making the whole mountain a joy to ride.

At Cairngorm (25/100cm) they are reporting that the Bowl is in brilliant shape, the best for years and wonderful conditions can be found from top to bottom.

Glenshee (10/25cm) is also reporting fresh snow on Thursday morning. A dusting has fallen on the firm packed base and there is a full cover of snow on Butcharts and Cairnwell. Lower down the slopes are thin and patchy in places so do take care. The Lecht (15/35cm) also has a hard packed base but the cover is complete in the main area and also on the nursery area.

At the Nevis Range (23/73cm) there is soft snow on a firm base both on and off the pistes. The upper mountain has a full cover of snow and lower down conditions are more typical of this time of year. The lower pistes have spring snow on them, firm in the morning become soft towards the end of the day.

European Weather Outlook
The wintry weather is set to stay in Scotland with more snow expected over the weekend.
snow report
Driving through Glencoe today there was snow down to the car park! It's a given that it may have been better today, but I wasn't overly impressed by it on Wed.

Who cares we're skiing in Scotland snowHead
snow conditions
I will be going to either Nevis or Cairngorm on either Saturday or Sunday don't know which or when yet... Both look great at the moment... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I was at Nevis yesterday and there was loads of snow on the top 2/3 rds of the hill. Runs were complete to the bottom as well but were definatly "spring snow"
snow report
This is me: (with pony-tail). I've e-mailed most of you my mobile number.
Looks like Horizon is probably coming.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-04-08 21:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
not sure yet...but working on it
ski holidays

Looking up the West Wall Chair Run from near the foot of the West Wall Poma on Thursday afternoon.

More (24 pix!!) at http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=468,17,9
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy