Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last time I skied was 12 years ago!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure why it has been so long?

Myself, my 10 year old son, my partner and her two kids 10 and 13 are of to Obergurgl on saturday. The question is how much ski school should we go for. (a million dollar question)

I am the only one of the five who has skied before, 12 years ago, the others, it will be their first time. So would 4 days kids ski school be enough for the young ones or would it be better putting them in for 6 days, but we as parents do want to ski with them at some stage on the holiday, (when we are able to ski ourselves!). Also for us parents, we are not sure how many days of school is required, i was thinking of the first day at school then day 2 and 3 taking a two hour private lessons for us both. I am wondering if we would get more out of the private lessons although only two, 2 hour sessions on top of the first day at the school. I was originally looking at booking 4 days ski school, but how much tuition do you really get in a group of ? (not sure how many are in a group these days). The other issue is myself and my partner having 2 private lessons but being at different levels, she could turn out to pick things up quicker than me!!! you never know

Hope the above makes sense and thanks in advance for any advice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jimn, welcome to snowHead

What do the ski school do? Have you looked at the website? You may find that they run a 5 day learn to ski package of only morning lessons, or full day lessons with a lunch break to meet up in. The package may be dictated to you by the ski school.
I would say for the kids that a structured learn to ski package would be best.
For you 2 it should be ok for a private lesson for both of you as long as you don't try to also be an instructor as it's like riding a bike and will come back to you quite quickly. Think you are right with 1st day in a group lesson then maybe a couple of private ones.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Minx

The ski school split the day into morning and afternoon sessions of 2 hours. with 1.5 hrs lunch break. I think the kids will enjoy being in with a group of other youngsters, but we want to be with them some of the days!!

The ski school runs from 1 to 6 days, without a specific learn to ski package, although the travel agent offer a learn to ski package inc equipment, trying to work out a cost efficient way of organising lessons and equipment hire!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimn, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'm not sure (at this time of year) that it's worth going for a private lesson. Most of the groups that I saw last week were very small, as it's near the end of season. If the groups are small, then you're not far off getting a private lesson for group prices.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jimn, welcome to snowHeads! ~Is it 4 of you that are complete beginners? One instructor for 4 is reasonably efficient I think.

My kids (when 8 and 6) got going with two consecutive days of 2 hour private lessons followed by lots of practice/falling over in the afternnoons - by day 3 they were joining us on the easier blues and a great time was had by all - it did it for them but I guess its a factor of the quality of instruction and how quickly they take to it. They have had of instruction subsequently (now 16 and 14) and can board and ski far better than I ever will (Not that I will ever board - far too old and uncool for that wink )

ON the other hand - I learnt with 6 days of 3 hour lessons and also had a great time including meeting new people...it can work either way but in my view group lessons are a bit of a lottery - almost inevitably they move at the speed of the slowest learner and Elizabeth B is probably right on end of season class size.

Have a great time snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jimn, ditto what elizabeth b says , we were in a group lesson last year for a five day program of five full days and only had four in the group for the mornings then only the two of us for the last three afternoons, so basically had private lessons for a fraction of the cost. plus i think the early learning stages of skiiing are better in a group as you have other people to compare to and more time for the basics to sink in.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi jimn,

We were in the exact same position as you 3 years ago when I took my family (wife and 2 kids) to Soll, Austria.

I'd say it'll come back to you really quickly - you may want to consider some group lessons for the social element, meeting other people rather than ski-ing by yourself - maybe take 3 days at the start of the week if you want to meet others.

Your kids at that age should pick it up very easily so maybe 4 days of lessons, again at the start of the week and by day 3 they'll be quicker than you. They will enjoy being in a group and making friends etc.

Your partner, who I don't think has ski-id before, is a bit trickier. My wife was very nervous once on blue slopes - scared of speed and of being hit by other ski-ers etc. I'd be tempted to book her for 4 days and see how she gets on - I suspect you could add another 2 days directly with the ski-school if she wanted to carry on with the lesson. She may pick it up very easily but in my experience adult learners (and particularly women) can take a lot longer to pick it up and become comfortable on the slopes. Also, be very patient with her and avoid taking her onto runs she hasn't done with her instructor and knows she can 'get down'.

Have a great holiday !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would have thought group lessons would be the most fun for complete beginners and most kids like to play with other kids. Private lessons are the best for developing your personal technique later on, but probably a waste of money at this stage. Unless you really want to be skiing on your own.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
uktrailmonster, I think so, too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Also, be very patient with her and avoid taking her onto runs she hasn't done with her instructor and knows she can 'get down'.

very good advice. You will find it very difficult to see slopes through her eyes - and finding herself on something she sees as too steep and difficult (however simple it might seem to you) could put her off for days, if not life. Alternatively, both of you take beginner snowboarding lessons and you'll be starting at the same level!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice.

I will see how it goes when we get out there, the kids will go into ski school for 4 days and we will see how the groups are for the adults,

One thing is for sure, I cannot wait to get there!!! Video camera and bullet cam are all tested and ready for some action (on the slopes that is!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimn, have a great time, and please let us know how it goes snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy