Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

approx drive time calais to 3V please

Poster: A snowHead
very rough, assume motorway and sensible speeds. all caveats about traffic etc. understood.

our lawyers will be round with the docs afterwards
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nickski, Calais to 3V with good traffic, we used to do in 8 hours. Couple of short breaks included. That was sticking to speed limits.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nickski, ViaMichelin is obviously playing up this evening, sending via Switzerland, and taking 12 hours. I'd say around 9, prepare for 10.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nickski, I'd agree with Helen Beaumont. It depends on how long and how frequent your stops are, obviously. I have never done it in as short a time as 8 hours because I have to drive most of it myself. With two drivers it would be a bit quicker, but 9 - 10 hours is reasonable. Assuming no significant traffic.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nickski, your journey will depend greatly on how much your wee one sleeps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nickski, about 9.5 hours in a rattly old van. Reckon 8-9 non-stop depending on resort, I have done Tignes in 8.75 from ferry dock with one pee break and a steady indicated 85 everywhere possible.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
9 hours on Good Friday, rain on and off from Reims and snow from Lyon to La Tania.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nickski, done it a few times to VT at a steady 140kmh with fuel/coffee stops as necessary - allways close to 10 hours
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski, we did it a few weeks back, Calais to Meribel about 10 hours including a couple more stops than we would have liked but the OH was sick and I kept falling asleep!! so would have been quicker without that and also if I had checked the viaMichelin route before I printed it and realised it was sending us via the Paris ringroad rolling eyes oops.... so I reckon without the hold up of hitting that at 8am on a Tuesday morning it would have been nearer 9 hours Very Happy again took us about 10 hours coming back (the sensible route), but we left a bit late so had a few holdups coming through the first few sets of tolls. So Basically agree with everyone else - probly about 8 hours if you are lucky with traffic etc, shouldn't be more than 10.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
10 hours
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. 9-10 hous min. I'll do an overnight stop, now I'm responsible family man.

Epic journeys > I once did Sauze D'Oulx to Macclesfield in 16 hours but that was just me on my own in a fast car.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nickski, overnight stop is well worth it.

Our 8 hours jaunts were just the two of us and sharing the driving - when the kids were born an overnighter was introduced. Even though they are older now and could cope with the trip all in one go, we like the stop!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nickski, http://chamoissiere.wordpress.com/getting-there/ . Some recommended places on here for overnight stays.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nickski, A sensible 10 hours, 9 is a good run, have done it in 8 in the summer.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all again. Really useful stuff and have also discovered the recommended places to stop Sticky under Trips section, as well as H's link above.

Get to practice my 100 mots or so of French.
snow report
We started extremely early in the morning (might have been 3.00am ?) from north London, took the car through the tunnel and arrived before 5pm in Meribel for a cup of tea watching skiers on the slopes skiing down at the end of the day (it was April and we had 2 drivers).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-04-08 14:06; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
Thinks back to maths lessons for formula

Mileage / Average Speed = Time

I usually stick cruise control at speed limit (83mph in dry conditions) and with slow bits and tolls etc can usually manage an average of around 70mph. This makes out trip to Samoens (540 miles) approx 7-8 hours of driving from Calais. Not sure on mileage to 3V or is there is a "long windy" last bit. But as others have said - plan for 10 hours.
ski holidays
last week 8 1/2 to mottaret in good clear weather with cruise control on 88 most of the way. took the bourg en bresse route as lyon was conjested. didnt stop for lunch as the kids were snacking all the way so just had leg stretch/petrol/toilet breaks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy