Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short Break from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi We (2 of us) are trying to squeeze in a last minute ski trip between 18/04 returning 21/04 in the evening. We have flights booked to Geneva on these dates but had a hic cup with a booking (i.e. left it too late haha) We will most likely hire a car and are looking for shortish transfers and basically recommendations for a resort and accomodation for a long weekend.

Sorry about being lazy running out of time.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Clusaz
Chamonix
Crans Montana
Avoriaz
i.e. - the usual suspects

Have fun
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Canski, contact Joanne at Mountainsun, they do transfers etc to their chalet hotel in Tignes. We're going out the weekend after for £79 each.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay in St Gervais. Ski Les Contamines (open to 20th) and Chamonix (open into May with a special buy one day get the next for one euro). Try Owners Direct for accommodation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Am just back from long weekend in Meribel, via Geneva. Stayed in Hotel Croix Jean Claude in Les Allues (10 minutes below Meribel itself) - old hotel with character and excellent food, and happy to take bookings for less than full week. Meribel is slightly further than some of the other resorts listed in this thread (it took us 2hrs 15 mins back on Sunday night from Les Allues, via the straight line non-motorway route from Albertville to Annecy), but it probably has more extensive, better linked high altitude skiing. While there is still plenty of snow lower down, it's getting pretty slushy below around 2000m by early afternoon, so you need somewhere with lots of skiing above this level.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Canski, we can fit you in in chalet Le Mouflon, La Rosiere for those dates, email me on info@tracksvacations.com if this is of interest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
While there is still plenty of snow lower down, it's getting pretty slushy below around 2000m by early afternoon,

not round here it isn't, the slopes down to 1600 are in superb shape. Personally, I would far prefer to go to La Rosiere at this point in the season, with the current snow conditions, than to Meribel.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beequin, why would you stay in St Gervais to ski in Chamonix? (Yeah, I see the point wrt Les Contamines, but still...)?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

not round here it isn't, the slopes down to 1600 are in superb shape. Personally, I would far prefer to go to La Rosiere at this point in the season, with the current snow conditions, than to Meribel.

La Rosiere is south facing, and its top lift is 300m lower than Mont Vallon in Meribel valley, so it seems unlikely that it has any better snow conditions that Meribel. With the amount of new snow in the past two weeks, and absence of any heatwave (unlike last spring), the conditions in Meribel are currently probably as good as they ever have been for this time of year
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Julian T, Meribel is south facing and it's also the main junction point for skiers from other 3V resorts, consequently it gets skied out faster than other 3V resorts. We've still got over 3 metres of snow in La Rosiere and I've always been able to ski to the village right up until the resort closes in the last week of April, not something I'd want to chance in Meribel. BTW have you ever been to La Rosiere?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks tried them but they are full.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave Canski, Dare I suggest Flaine? I would think there should be accommodation available there and it's v close to Geneva
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

BTW have you ever been to La Rosiere?

No I haven't, and I'm sure it has some advantages versus the 3V, particularly when the latter are busy (which isn't the case at the moment). But I don't believe that La Rosiere only gets slushy 400m lower down than in the 3V!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Julian T, well when you've visited you'll be able to comment with some authority as to the respective merits of 2 very different ski areas.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax, Hi Thanks for your reply I have emailed you.
latest report
Quote:

when you've visited you'll be able to comment with some authority as to the respective merits of 2 very different ski areas

I haven't presumed to make any comparisons between the 3V & La Rosiere, am well aware that they are very different, and that La Rosiere has a reputation for higher than average snow fall because of its proximity to Mont Blanc. I just doubt that 2 south facing resorts in relatively close proximity to each other have such a big difference in freezing points as suggested above. Is it just plausible that there is a tiny bit of partisanship on the part of Pam W (location: Beaufortain) & yourself (advertising a chalet in La Rosiere)?

I've got no axe to grind for Meribel, would avoid it all costs in high season, but reckon that right now it's about as good as it gets.
snow report
Julian T, Check out the historical snow records, La Rosiere is consistently amongst the top 5 French resorts for snow cover, our weather pattern is very different from Val'D'Isere just 30 kms away and Tignes 25kms, it's even diffrent to Les Arcs, about 6kms away across the valley. There are a couple of quotes from 'Where to Ski and Snowboard' on our website which back-up my comments, and I make no apologies for promoting our chalet, lots of snowheads have enjoyed staying with us.
snow conditions
Quote:

why would you stay in St Gervais to ski in Chamonix?

Why would you stay in St Gervais at all?
latest report
Quote:
Is it just plausible that there is a tiny bit of partisanship on the part of Pam W (location: Beaufortain) & yourself (advertising a chalet in La Rosiere)?

Julian T, I am in the Beaufortain and therefore able to make accurate observations about current conditions here. I have also skied in both Meribel (fairly low altitude) and La Rosiere (rather high altitude). I have no commercial axe to grind - I know that David@traxvax does, and he makes no secret of that. I was just commenting that faced with a choice between Meribel and La Rosiere for a short break, at the moment, I would choose La Rosiere, particularly if I had a good offer of short term accommodation, which is never too easy to find. That's a statement of my opinion - obviously. If you call that partisan, fine.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-04-08 21:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
David@traxvax, It seems you are more interested in using the forum for commercial promotion than engaging in constructive discussion. If you bothered to read properly what I wrote, I agreed that La Rosiere has a higher than average snowfall, but questioned the suggestion that there should be a substantial difference between two nearly-adjacent south facing resorts in their ability to avoid slush on south facing lower slopes in the afternoon. Taking your advice to check out the snow records won't tell me anything about whether snow turns slushy at a lower altitude in La Rosiere than elsewhere. The difference between snow being firm and slushy is surely primarily caused by (i) air temperature, and (ii) the direction of the slope, not the depth of the snow. The weather forecasts for Meribel & La Rosiere for tomorrow show an identical freezing point, and they both face south, so presumably both are going to go slushy at roughly the same altitude at the same time.
ski holidays
Julian T, and before you ask, I am quite biased towards Chamonix valley (because I have apartments available to rent there) and PDS (because I think it's really quite a good place to ski)... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Dave Canski wrote:
Hi We (2 of us) are trying to squeeze in a last minute ski trip between 18/04 returning 21/04 in the evening. We have flights booked to Geneva on these dates but had a hic cup with a booking (i.e. left it too late haha) We will most likely hire a car and are looking for shortish transfers and basically recommendations for a resort and accomodation for a long weekend.

Sorry about being lazy running out of time.

Dave - we are doing a 3 dayer this weekend, decided to go to Chamonix as snow reports are good and booked the hotel Prieure in the centre for €70 per night for a twin room. google the name if your interested it has sauna, steamroom etc. Carl
ski holidays
Dave Canski,
Sorry you missed les Melezes, hope you find something good
Regards
Mark
snow report
Rookiemark, Got it thanks Mark 17th till 20th shame we will miss you. Leave us some tips at reception please. Very Happy
latest report
Thankyou everyone for you help with this request. Happy Skiing.
snow report
Julian T, there's nothing constructive about your posts which are not based on experience, I'd like to be able to form such firm opinions from reading a few facts. However, having skied the 3Vs fairly exstensively in past years and La Rosiere very extensively over the past 8 years I know where I would go to be sure of good snow cover. That comment is based on experience and has nothing to do with commercial interest.
latest report
David@traxvax, Chill out! All I’ve done is provide an up to date report based on personal experience last weekend in the 3V, and query whether there is likely to be much difference in degree of slushiness between La Rosiere and Meribel on slopes that face the same way, at the same altitude, at this time of year. Of course La Rosiere has a better snow coverage record– it gets more snow, and it starts from a higher point. In a year when snow conditions aren’t good, La Rosiere is always going to one of the more reliable destinations. But right now it’s pretty damn good elsewhere as well, with more than enough snow to provide coverage down to lower levels than would normally be the case.

BTW, there are two measures in the 3V of snow depth at 1850m (the same height as La Rosiere). Courchevel 1850 has 136cm at this level, and Les Menuires has 80cm, versus 120cm for La Rosiere. It looks like they all have more than enough for an excellent end to the season.
ski holidays
the current very mild weather with heavy rain up to quite high altitudes (certainly well above that of Meribel, and probably La Rosiere too) will not help the snow but it looks as though it will get cold again next week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy